• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Banning under 18`s from there stations and Gaurds threating customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
You are right mate, it is from the Roald Dahl book "Guide To Railway Safety"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
GB posted:-

Victorialine67 said:-

So what was the point of buying a First Class ticket and not using it? Was it just to 'raid' the snacks provided in the First Class lounge, and from memory , is there not a small quantity of alcoholic drinks , ( rum, whisky etc) provided. That alone would mean that a respnsible adult needed to be present to comply with the alcohol regulations, not Virgin Trains requirements.

Victorialine67 posted:-

So this guy walked through an entirely empty coach , the last coach in the train from Birmingham to Coventry, from vestibule to vestibule just to 'catch' you and your mate with or without your heads out of the droplight. Why?.

You don't say , but this sounds like platform 1 , where there is a sign which says 'Danger , no unauthorised access' about 30 Metres from the end of the platform. Were you past this point as was alledged, and was this not the reason that staff came up to you - nothing to do with being 16? If it wasn't plat 1 , the same sign is on plat 2/3 ( or whatever the island platform is now)
The video of that day shows that there was more than just a camera resting on the window frame. You were travelling backwards at up to 110MPH, with the camera on the same side as trains travelling in the opposite direction, not able to see anything approaching for quite some miles on a very busy corridor. There is a comment in one of your videos about a 'broken seat' and how 'elf and safety ought to take a look ', perhaps H & E should be pointed in the direction of this video too.
Lots of other videos of yours show more than a camera out of the window, take a look at the EMT HST and see that you are further out than someone in the next vestibule who is flailing.

The very same reason as you, being a member of the Forum. If you don't want comments , then don't post it, send it to whoever you think may raise some sympathy for you. Of course you will get an apologising letter back from Virgin Trains, doesn't matter what you write.
The video shows multiple journeys that day between Birmingham and Coventry, but mention of only one ticket, I trust that a valid ticket was held for each one, and not just the same one because it hadn't been gripped. Incedentally there isn't a First Class West Midlands Day Ranger, so its individual tickets only I'm afraid..
Just what is the reason for the 'empty drinks bottle throwing' on a class 170 in another video of yours. Do you really think that went down well with other travelling passengers on the day?

Ok where do i start in correcting you

A. There were no Alcoholic drinks there in 1st class
B. Nope the gaurd was in the same coach as us on the way back
C. NOPE it wernt platform 1 we went for the one in the middle and we were
infrount of the signs i dont know what kind of a person you think i am but i obey all railway rules!

D. The broken saet thing was someone elses comment and it was a class 150 the seat was already broken and many of those seats are, what good would showing my vid do? also we filmed the jorney to Cov and back (as you`ll find out if you read the description)

E. I only put my cam out far and even then its not all that far, i dont know who it is your refering to, give me the time in the vid and ill clear this point up for you

F. Why would i bother talking about tickets in my vids?

G. The West MIdlands Day ranger vid was on a different day 2-3 weeks before the class 90 bash and it hasnothing to do with 1st class, what made you mention that one?

H. The drink bottle throwing thing was done on a empty train there were no other passengers so my mates wanted to have fun

I. not the word Have fun thats all we want to do we have fun without hurting anyone or breaking any rules so whats your problem?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At the end of the day, a travel ticket is for TRAVEL, as they were not using the ticket they had no business being in the lounge

we did want to travel 1st class to International (then get the 90 from there) but then all this happened! :(

If victorialine67 is one of these people who wave their arms about like complete fools to get a "2 tone" then i'm not surprised they were thrown off.
on the day in question we wernt asking for 2 tones they just gave em to us :) (nice drivers) plus we dont wave our arms in the air we do the "Trucker horn" or as its bette knowen the sign for Vaccum, drivers know what we mean when we do it adn some just 2 tone us anyway, also i havent asked for tones in ages, im just too lazy now haha!

Woolybak8

It's their property so they can do what they want, including banning photography if they wish.

Nevertheless, the bit about under 18s was pure nonsense and hopefully this incident will gain some publicity in the railway press.

Matt

I dont think so Matt Taylor. Looking back at the Trainspotters Guidelines it says you are allowed any age to film or take pictures, providing you play along with the guidelines. Ian did not break any rules, apart from the head out of window bit. The only stations you can get kicked off of is unmanned stations, as theres nobody to monitor what you are doing, it than that Coventry had no right to kick Ian or his friends off.

ukrob

Established Member
H. The drink bottle throwing thing was done on a empty train there were no other passengers so my mates wanted to have fun

Oh, that makes mindless stupidity ok then.

What about letting water into a carriage through an open droplight in torrential rain - how are you going to defend that?

You also have a video of banging seats very hard to make dust clouds - do you know how dangerous that is to asthmatic passengers? Not to mention the damage you caused to the seat.

You are actually a disgrace to the hobby and I am ashamed I initially defended you.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I dont think so Matt Taylor. Looking back at the Trainspotters Guidelines it says you are allowed any age to film or take pictures, providing you play along with the guidelines. Ian did not break any rules, apart from the head out of window bit. The only stations you can get kicked off of is unmanned stations, as theres nobody to monitor what you are doing, it than that Coventry had no right to kick Ian or his friends off.

Erm. Rights, rights. You should be happy you're alive and kicking and allowed to wander around when you want to.

The rail enthusiast guidelines are just that. They are guidelines put in place to set a level that people are expected to behave at. They are designed to accept that certain people have an interest on being on railway stations. They aren't rules to prevent every bloke and their dog taking the mick.

He doesn't have a right to be on the railway station. He was allowed on to the railway station with a ticket to travel. He did not choose to travel and was asked to make his journey or leave. Now, we don't have the other side of the story. If it was a case of mistaken identity or genuine misinterpretation of the rules, then it is a sad case where some body has made the mistake of breaking those guidelines.

But lets set it straight. You (victorialines67) have a reputation for being immature. Guys in your age bracket have increasingly embarrassed the rail enthusiast hobby in the past few years with incompetence and mis behaviour which you have chosen to publicise. You can understand why rail staff can have little patience for you.

Established Member
hi bluenoxid erm there has been arout 2 cases in which this "Immaturity" has happened thats not what i call a reputation really!

ukrob

Established Member
hi bluenoxid erm there has been arout 2 cases in which this "Immaturity" has happened thats not what i call a reputation really!

Two? There are at least three on this page of the thread alone - I notice you haven't attempted to justify it either (which is your choice) but people might have more time for you if you admitted you were wrong therefore showing that you are maturing. Instead you just offer smart remarks to try and look clever (you don't).

Established Member
Hi to any admin out there can you lock this thread off its just going off its rails now and it just seems to be a "Have a go at the guy" kinda thing,

also i dont want any replies saying "Im running away because im a disgrase to the hobby or anything to do with been "Owned" or basicly anything i want the thread closed because by now everyones read the thread and im getting a bit sick of some of the comments certain people have made some are just awfull.

The ones that are a real discrase (a word i cant spell) are those who slam others for enjoying the hobby in there way and make them feel awfull or even upset
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fine if it helps

Yes i do admit i have been imature

Im very sorry everyone

I hope we can put this behind us

Thank you

Ian Morris

asylumxl

Established Member
Yes i do admit i have been imature

Im very sorry everyone

I hope we can put this behind us

Thank you

Ian Morris

I personally find immaturity to be a great way to stay healthy :).

Everyone enjoys things in different ways. As long as you don't endanger yourself or others (admitatedly sticking out of a moving trains window is) I see no issue.

Established Member
Hi everyone

In a recent thread (Virgin trains baning under 18`s..) alot of you pointed out my flaws an you have told me im a discrase to the hobby

Im posting this just to say sorry to all those i have annoyed/offended...

Yes i have done some things that are a bit immature and stupid but its just a case of haveing too much fun with my mates and getting carried away

In the case of banging the seats its just something that was started ages ago and my friend wanted to have a go and i just filmed it.

(Sorry to thoses ashma sufferers for that)

also sorry for all the other stupid things i have done i did not mean to make you ashamed to be in the hobby.

I hope we can put everything behind us and forget about it as i dont want any of us to fall out/ hate each other

Once again Sorry

Ian Morris

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Some of the postings in this thread have been astonishing.
Now, throwing bottles on the railways = fun
Magistrates have to hear about this kind of attitude every Monday morning and don't agree any more than I do.

The OP's attitude shows a worrying unwillingness to learn. A more responsible response would be to try to understand more about how risks in hazardous places are assessed and how the hazards are minimised. Separating the public from the hazard is probably the most effect measure and no one on this forum should have any hesitation in agreeing. Why does the OP keep trying to defend themselves rather than try to understand what they have so badly misunderstood?

When a rail enthusiast and a rail professional disagree, the enthusiast should be impressed by the rigour of the professional's experience, training and qualifications and if interested enough, should be willing to learn a little about the procedures and policies that have evolved from the massive body of experience accumulated by the industry over the decades. (and not be arrogant enough to distract them from their duty by a futile attempt to argue from a point of ignorance!).

For the benefit of the OP, the railways are astonishingly safe - that's NOT because enthusuiasts and the public have made their own safety decisions (based on tiny amounts of innattentive personal experience) but because many highly experienced and qualified people continuously try to identify possible hazards and continuously try to reduce all possible risks by control measures. These measures will include separating people from trains and railway property for a variety of reasons which might have nothing to do with what the people are doing. They are assessing possible risks and the available control measures - even somone going off duty for a few minutes and thereby leaving part of a station unsupervised might be considered as increasing a risk.

Often, the reason for a rail professional's decision will not be apparent - there might not even be any visible evidence to support it - safety decisions are just as likely to be based on an assessment that a particular hazard can be reduced by the decision. The hazard doesn't have to be very likely, but if its likelihood can be reduced then the responsible person should reduce it. No argument.

So when you are challenged in future, try to learn something from the situation and see if you could have identified the risk and taken appropriate action yourself. So why not try to learn more about safe working practices BEFORE expressing views about those who HAVE learnt, and been qualified for their learning?

And why ask to have the thread closed because people disagree? Shouldn't you be asking for more help in trying to learn what you clearly have not yet learned?

Last edited:
I would not worry to much about it ian it will be all water under the bridge
now as they say. at least you got to say sorry and the mods are ok.
unlike the prat that runs the railwayforum.net he banned me before i had a
chance and even swore at me which was somthing i never done

anthony263

Established Member
Hi everyone

In a recent thread (Virgin trains baning under 18`s..) alot of you pointed out my flaws an you have told me im a discrase to the hobby

Im posting this just to say sorry to all those i have annoyed/offended...

Yes i have done some things that are a bit immature and stupid but its just a case of haveing too much fun with my mates and getting carried away

In the case of banging the seats its just something that was started ages ago and my friend wanted to have a go and i just filmed it.

(Sorry to thoses ashma sufferers for that)

also sorry for all the other stupid things i have done i did not mean to make you ashamed to be in the hobby.

I hope we can put everything behind us and forget about it as i dont want any of us to fall out/ hate each other

Once again Sorry

Ian Morris

I am sure taht we have all acted a bit stupid while going about our hobby and i am sure a lot of the older members will own up to this.

Good on you for apologising, although i dont really think there was a need to since this whole affair got blown out of the water a bit by some members ranting off and then other members retaliating etc.

in my opinion case closed.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Hi to any admin out there can you lock this thread off its just going off its rails now and it just seems to be a "Have a go at the guy" kinda thing

Didn't you learn last time when you made this demand, we don't lock threads just because the replies given aren't what the OP wanted to hear. However, if this develops into a flame war, it will be locked and anyone who does try and turn it into one may be subject to warnings etc. There have been some sensible postings made here, in particular those by eos, and I hope you will bear this in mind with your behaviour in the future.

I notice that you have apologised to those on here that you have annoyed and offended, and I would hope you will do the same to the staff at Coventry next time you are there.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I just love it when you all start bickering.

This isn't about who said what to whom and whether or not their past record is squeaky clean with regard to safety and "maturity" (whatever that's supposed to be). This is about safety and responsibility.

I raised a number of points in my previous post, none of which have yet been addressed. Frankly I'm holding out little hope that they ever will, but I still can't conceive of any way in which the OP didn't make things needlessly harder for himself.

It saddens me enormously when enthusiasts start taking pot shots at staff because they feel hard done by as a result of failing to respect the environment they are in. Have the courtesy to make yourselves known to the staff. Be polite and respectful, and don't forget to say please and thank you. These things cost you nothing but they might just open the door things you may not ordinarily get access to. We are not all out to get you or spoil your day. If the OP had bothered to do that he might have had a much more pleasant day.

Oh, and sticking your head out of a droplight, no matter how far, is still really dangerous. Who knows what might come bouncing down the side of the train.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I notice that you have apologised to those on here that you have annoyed and offended, and I would hope you will do the same to the staff at Coventry next time you are there.

i will do dispite the fact i didnt do anything wrong at all i was just filming, the things that have happened in my other vids did not happen on the day in question

devon_metro

Established Member
on the day in question we wernt asking for 2 tones they just gave em to us :) (nice drivers) plus we dont wave our arms in the air we do the "Trucker horn" or as its bette knowen the sign for Vaccum, drivers know what we mean when we do it adn some just 2 tone us anyway, also i havent asked for tones in ages, im just too lazy now haha!

Do you still not think you look a bit ridiculous?

If I was driving past, i'd be laughing like hell! Doing it to a train is a bit different to doing it to a group of fit girls on the motorway methinks ;)

FusionRail

I cant see why there is such an outrage about this. Trainspotters should be kicked out if they are doing arm movements, ****ing about and being vegetables, etc.

Established Member
Who said anything about waving our arms around being veg`s?

can i just clear all this up because its sort of been twisted here we arrived on the class 90 we then went into the 1st class lounge and sat down waiting for something intresting (we did intend to travel) we then left to film a few class 66`s on the platform (and thats all we did get our cameras out and press record) we then went back in in the lounge (as we were wet and a bit hungry) we were then told to leave and we did, we then went to platform 1 and as we waited for a class 67 to arrive we were told by the security to leave as the leadership team dont want two under 18`s hanging around there station.

we then left.

And thats all that happened i dont know why its goes off to me doing something stupid!

43021HST

Established Member
I had a problem with a guy at the barrier and he refused to let me buy a platform ticket to Reading station ages ago because I was under 18 but that was in a different thread. I hate security guards they think theyre the police it does my head in. That security guard has a thing for me now because I stuck two fingures at him but another one saw me do it and let me through for free. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Like everything in life, it is always the minority that give the majority a bad name. Teenagers especially suffer from this...

FusionRail

Who said anything about waving our arms around being veg`s?

can i just clear all this up because its sort of been twisted here we arrived on the class 90 we then went into the 1st class lounge and sat down waiting for something intresting (we did intend to travel) we then left to film a few class 66`s on the platform (and thats all we did get our cameras out and press record) we then went back in in the lounge (as we were wet and a bit hungry) we were then told to leave and we did, we then went to platform 1 and as we waited for a class 67 to arrive we were told by the security to leave as the leadership team dont want two under 18`s hanging around there station.

we then left.

And thats all that happened i dont know why its goes off to me doing something stupid!

I had a problem with a guy at the barrier and he refused to let me buy a platform ticket to Reading station ages ago because I was under 18 but that was in a different thread. I hate security guards they think theyre the police it does my head in. That security guard has a thing for me now because I stuck two fingures at him but another one saw me do it and let me through for free. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Were you travelling 1st class to be able to sit in the 1st class lounge? Fair enough if they didnt want 2 kids sitting in there talking about what train they had ****ed over the day before. ITs fair enough you were told to leave, if theres two kids hanging around a station, they dont know what you are planning to do. Yeh you might say "oh we are just filming that peice of scrap" over there, but they dont know that. In this day of hightened security and terrorist risks, security and safety is more important than filming some stupid train.

And Klambert, what do you expect if you were so immature as to give him the fingers? And how do you buy a platform ticket to somewhere?

ukrob

Established Member

Oh how very mature :roll:

Another disgrace to the hobby.

And how do you buy a platform ticket to Reading?

Established Member
Were you travelling 1st class to be able to sit in the 1st class lounge? Fair enough if they didnt want 2 kids sitting in there talking about what train they had ****ed over the day before. ITs fair enough you were told to leave, if theres two kids hanging around a station, they dont know what you are planning to do. Yeh you might say "oh we are just filming that peice of scrap" over there, but they dont know that. In this day of hightened security and terrorist risks, security and safety is more important than filming some stupid train.

And Klambert, what do you expect if you were so immature as to give him the fingers? And how do you buy a platform ticket to somewhere?

Just because were under 18 doesnt mean were "KIDS" also we wernt talking about w***ing over trains at all and even if we were talking about trains thats no reason to kick us off the station there is such a thing as freedom of speech.

Also ive been to coventry 3 times before and ive never had any problems

anthony263

Established Member
I think this thread is starting to go a bit off track now with everyone isulting and swearing at each other.

as for acting inmature we have all done it at some time even the older members must have.

can we stop all of the insults etc please its starting to get on my nerves a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.