• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Banning under 18`s from there stations and Gaurds threating customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi everyone
last Thursday (16/4/09) me and a friend decided to bash 90036 to Coventry and back and we decided we`d do a bit of filming while we were there.
We arrived at around 10:00 and after seeing 90036 off we decided it was too cold so we purchaced a 1st class ticket and we went and sat in the 1st class lounge.

After about 45mins (there was only pendos so what else is there to do) a security gaurd came in with a member of staff and asked us to leave as we were under 18 and you need someone over 18 with you. We then went back out to the platform and my mate sat on the bench for a bit with the other passengers while i was at the end of the platform filming a 66 coming in.

At around 12:15 the security gaurd came up to us and asked us what we were doing and he also asked where we came from and i told him we were filming and from BHM, he walked off holding his earpice and came back and he told us "Im afraid your going to have to leave on the next Birmingham bound service as the "Leadership team" dont want 2 under 18s at the station".

A driver who was also BTP asked us what he told us and he then replied "Its a load of S**t you have the right to film and take photos"

We then made our way to the platform being Followed by the security gaurd.

Luck was on our side and it was a 90 hauled service (but not the one i intended to get on)

As always we decided to get the wind on our faces but we didnt go mad with our heads fully out the window then i saw a guy dressed in normal clothes flash a badge to my mate and i heard him say in the most threating tone of voice "Im a gaurd at Euston I SUGGEST you keep your head in!".

I can understand why they dont want us to have our heads out but

A. we didnt have our heads out
B. Thats no way to talk to somone on or off-duty

This is not the first time someone has been kicked off a station where Virgin Trains staff are around.

This has got to stop we have a right to take photos, why are they taking that right away!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNERman

Established Member
that is an absolute disgrace
this is going back to the NXEC banning proposals
you simply CANNOT do this as all we want to do is film and do our hobby

Jordy

Established Member
At around 12:15 the security gaurd came up to us and asked us what we were doing and he also asked where we came from and i told him we were filming and from BHM, he walked off holding his earpice and came back and he told us "Im afraid your going to have to leave on the next Birmingham bound service as the "Leadership team" dont want 2 under 18s at the station".

Well thats a new one! What a ridiculous excuse! I'd write a letter to Virgin if I were you, see what they have to say on the matter!

Ferret

Established Member
You ought to have got the station manager out to justify himself! As for the 2 under 18s excuse - I've never heard anything so utterly ridiculous!

Established Member
Odd, I've spent many an hour festering at Cov over the years and have never had any problems with the staff there, was it just the "security" clown acting out of boredom perhaps? I think if anyone else gets asked they have come from some obscure shack Bert hasn't heard of!

You'll no doubt get a grovelling apology from Virgin, they throw a right wobbler every time there reputation might be in trouble, might be worth mentioning you have also contacted the industry/local press to make them stew a bit more.

bluenoxid

Established Member
The first part about the under 18's ban is rubbish. The second part about the guard was good advice delivered effectively.

eos

If you can buy 'child' tickets, why did you not challenge it?

Geezertronic

Established Member
Although what you have written is wrong and should not have happened, I think the thread title is a bit misleading as there does not appear to be any threats made?

Even the guard's comment wasn't threating, he probably said it so you didn't get your head knocked off?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
This has got to stop we have a right to take photos, why are they taking that right away!

It's their property so they can do what they want, including banning photography if they wish.

Nevertheless, the bit about under 18s was pure nonsense and hopefully this incident will gain some publicity in the railway press.

Matt

Ferret

Established Member
Matt - very true but seeing as Virgin senior management signed up to the ATOC guidelines which make it perfectly clear that enthusiasts are welcome then a jumped up security waller and a team leader have no business kicking 2 lads off a station. Who sets Virgin Trains policy - an insignificant lowly team leader or the likes of Chris Gibb (who incidentally is an enthusiast himself!)...?

bluenoxid

Established Member
It's their property so they can do what they want, including banning photography if they wish.

Nevertheless, the bit about under 18s was pure nonsense and hopefully this incident will gain some publicity in the railway press.

Matt

They can also ban under 18's, get an entertainment licence and scantily clad ladies. Hm????

ChrisMcFall

I've never had any trouble at coventry whatsoever!
Out of interest, if you werent on a Child ticket, how did they say you were <18?

The Snap

Established Member
After about 45mins (there was only pendos so what else is there to do) a security gaurd came in with a member of staff and asked us to leave as we were under 18 and you need someone over 18 with you. We then went back out to the platform and my mate sat on the bench for a bit with the other passengers while i was at the end of the platform filming a 66 coming in.

Me and a friend went into the FC lounge at Piccadilly when we were both 15 and had no problems - tea, biscuits and pleasant customer service.

Yet another example of an arsehole member of staff who doesn't know the rules of his own employer.

thefab444

Established Member
The first part about the under 18's ban is rubbish. The second part about the guard was good advice delivered effectively.

100% agree, the under 18s thing is just nonsense, but it does clearly state that you must not lean out of the window whilst the train is in motion, and whilst most staff won't stop you unless you appear to be acting irresponsibly, it's not legal so don't complain when you get told off, by staff, or even pax if they are being particularly officious.

me123

Established Member
That's disgraceful. Complain to Virgin, because that's nothing short of age discrimination.

As for the guard, he may have sounded threatening but if he wasn't on duty he could well have been trying to make sure you didn't get into any trouble. Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise?

thing is just nonsense, but it does clearly state that you must not lean out of the window whilst the train is in motion, and whilst most staff won't stop you unless you appear to be acting irresponsibly, it's not legal so don't complain when you get told off, by staff, or even pax if they are being particularly officious.

I do agree sticking your head out of a train window when it is travelling at speed is VERY dangerous in my opinion. At slow speed when approaching and leaving stations it's ok.
I'm sure I read something about a person who got killed when they fell out of HST window on the MML.

As for over 18s only - what a load of crap!

GNERman

Established Member
well i don't think its dangerous but I did it on the keighley worth valley railway and had soot in my eye for the rest of the day!... :(

delt1c

Established Member
Regarding the open window, the stock is airconditioned. In order to get the air con working properly requires windows to be closed, otherwise the system will not work properly. same is with a car, open the window and switch on the air con and it will not operate properly. Also consider other passengers , modern stock should be quiet and smooth , leave door drop lights open and you are introducing all the outside noise into the train. the gaurd was only thinking of the safety and comfort of all.

ukrob

Established Member
well i don't think its dangerous but I did it on the keighley worth valley railway and had soot in my eye for the rest of the day!... :(

Therefore it is dangerous.

Try getting some grit into your eye at 100mph, or the discharge of a toilet (non retention).

ukrob

Established Member
fair enough...

Sadly because of the culture we live in where people blame everyone but themselves, if that was to happen to a minor (I'm talking generally, not about you) then the parents would sue the TOC, and more than likely win. "But trains on this route normally have sealed closed windows, how was my precious child supposed to know what to do" etc etc.

fgwrich

Established Member
Therefore it is dangerous.

Try getting some grit into your eye at 100mph, or the discharge of a toilet (non retention).

Ewwwwww thats the thing i watch out for on HST's... not very nice indeed...

Just as everyone else has said... Complain to a magazine... nameley Rail magazine who mentiond a photographer at Macclesfield station who was bullied out of the station... and yet Virgin Trains response was becasue there had been recent burgularies around the station!

This has got to stop... but note how all this is comming from Virgin Trains, and no one else... the only hassle ive had in the past year has actually only been from Nat Ex in Kings X, and First Scotrail at Stirling.. One staff member that was !

As for the Dont stick your head out of the window thing... while i agree that you shouldnt lean out of the window... ive never had this, and although he obviously said it in good intention... i know how threatening Virgin Trains staff can be... as well as there farcical ticketing arangements...

Ive never had any problems with staff members on Mk3's, occasionaly the guards can remind me when im on FGW's HST's, most of the time im either seated anyway or in the Vestuble with one droplight open, and sometimes put part of my head out... afterall - its up to you - you can be a safe and watch were your going, or you can be stupid and get your head whacked by a passing bush ! or worse... i know , i got whacked by a bush in Inverkeithing a few years back... was perfectly fine, but my head was saw after...

rich

richa2002

Established Member
I do agree sticking your head out of a train window when it is travelling at speed is VERY dangerous in my opinion. At slow speed when approaching and leaving stations it's ok.
I'm sure I read something about a person who got killed when they fell out of HST window on the MML.

As for over 18s only - what a load of crap!
How can someone fall out of a droplight? It would take considerable effort!

me123

Established Member
I'm sure Angela O'Rexia would manage it quite easily. (Sorry)

Seriously, though. At 125mph, if you've got your head out of the window and another train is coming at 125mph, the impact is at 250mph. That's fast, and you'd be unable to react to that normally I wouldn't imagine. Of course, most people would be sensible enough in this respect, but hitting a tunnel at 100mph is still potentially lethal.

The only time I ever stick my head out is on approach to the station, although I'd love to do it on the Forth Bridge 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.