• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains CSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon11

Established Member
whooo, if at first you don't suceed try again !!
Start training 5th August as a CSA.
Quick question if anyone know's do you get free train travel whilst you are training?
Also once working for them if you are in uniform ie going to work would other train operators let you jump on for free, or do you have to still buy a ticket?

Thanks

You would get free travel on virgin train services. If your travel to crewe involves another operator, ask them if they will cover travel costs from your base of work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Welcome on board :D You'll soon see it was worth all the effort!

Did you get a permanent, fixed term or casual position? If it's permanent you'll get a Crew Card (Free travel on Virgin services for leisure and Duty) and a PRIV card (officially 75% off fares for every other company out there), if it's fixed term you get just the PRIV card, and if you're casual you don't get anything unfortunately.

That said, if you're in Uniform you'll get free travel on Virgin to and from work no problem anyway, regardless of your contract, and if it involves travelling with another company a quick word with the guard should see you right. I've never heard of anyone being told no in uniform! (And part of your duties as an Onboard CSA may involve travelling on other companies trains anyway!).

kaza

Welcome on board :D You'll soon see it was worth all the effort!

Did you get a permanent, fixed term or casual position? If it's permanent you'll get a Crew Card (Free travel on Virgin services for leisure and Duty) and a PRIV card (officially 75% off fares for every other company out there), if it's fixed term you get just the PRIV card, and if you're casual you don't get anything unfortunately.

That said, if you're in Uniform you'll get free travel on Virgin to and from work no problem anyway, regardless of your contract, and if it involves travelling with another company a quick word with the guard should see you right. I've never heard of anyone being told no in uniform! (And part of your duties as an Onboard CSA may involve travelling on other companies trains anyway!).

Thanks, I got a casual position, which for now suits me better, they said at interview once you are in, its a lot easier to then a get a temp position leading to permanent.

For the training course in Crewe I won't have a uniform, if you show your ID would you get free travel on Virgin to Crewe?

Where are you based, I am going to be a Manchester mainly doing double Euston's at weekend.

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm sure there willbe more lol.

Karen

craigybagel

Established Member
I started out onboard at Wolves, then I worked on platforms at a station, but I just finished my last shift an hour ago as I've been given a guards job with another company - I'm sad to leave, Virgin were fantastic to work for but this opportunity was too good to pass up!

You should get a complimentary ticket to get you down to Crewe on the first day of training, and then once you're there they'll give you a pass to travel up and down that week (you have to give it back at the end though! :( ).

They're right about it being a lot easier to go permanent from casual if it turns out it suits you to do so - I know a lot who've made the jump. They still have to go through the full training (the casual training is, or at least used to be, a much shortened version of the course the permanent staff go through), but they already have the experience which counts for a lot. The odds to get in to the company are pretty ridiculous at the moment so you've definitely made the right choice!

Feel free to ask anything else, the only reason I registered on this site was to give advice to people applying for and beginning careers with VT and I'm always happy to help out!

Mattm123

I had interview today for CSA job at Manchester. Not sure how it went to be honest. Not holding my breath but we will wait and see.

SP72

I have been invited to recruitment event 17th July and have no previous rail experience I am currently a care worker and my maths needs some serious brushing up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The role is for CSA Wolves.

pinguini

I have been invited to recruitment event 17th July and have no previous rail experience I am currently a care worker and my maths needs some serious brushing up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The role is for CSA Wolves.

What type of CSA (platforms, ticket office, on board?)

SP72

Its onboard just a little worried after reading the elimination process on previous threads...and trying to polish up on my maths as I have become a little rusty.

Monty

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance what is a casual contract and what is the difference to say a fixed term contract?

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance what is a casual contract and what is the difference to say a fixed term contract?

I think the "Casual" contracts have either Zero or a very low number of contracted hours, some being weekend only hours.

A fixed term contract seems to be Full time hours guranteed during the period of the fixed term.

pinguini

Its onboard just a little worried after reading the elimination process on previous threads...and trying to polish up on my maths as I have become a little rusty.

The maths will be fairly basic. Best way to practise is to think up random prices (eg £3.94) and calculate the change from £20 note etc. you need to be able to do that quickly and accurately for the tests

kaza

The maths test was really easy dont worry.

The casual contracts are zero hours contracts.

Jen275

whooo, if at first you don't suceed try again !!
Start training 5th August as a CSA.
Quick question if anyone know's do you get free train travel whilst you are training?
Also once working for them if you are in uniform ie going to work would other train operators let you jump on for free, or do you have to still buy a ticket?

Thanks

Congrats on getting the job Kaza, I too have been cabin crew for about 5 years, I am desperate to get in with Virgin Trains, have applied twice now and not even been offered an assesment day. Currently on my 3rd application, I don't want to submit it until I am 100% happy with it. I think the role scenario questions are letting me down, just can't think of any good examples, even though I know I have loads, and what sort of things they are actually wanting to read from the answers I give. I know i'd be good at the job, It's just so frustrating trying to get them to notice me :(

kaza

Congrats on getting the job Kaza, I too have been cabin crew for about 5 years, I am desperate to get in with Virgin Trains, have applied twice now and not even been offered an assesment day. Currently on my 3rd application, I don't want to submit it until I am 100% happy with it. I think the role scenario questions are letting me down, just can't think of any good examples, even though I know I have loads, and what sort of things they are actually wanting to read from the answers I give. I know i'd be good at the job, It's just so frustrating trying to get them to notice me :(

Hi Jen,
I know what you mean, I did not get an assesment day on my first application, and I am a qualified nurse so tbh I was a little surprised. Just keep trying, there are loads of ex cc working for them I know about 10 and they all love it. Who do you work for now?

Good luck
karen

craigybagel

Established Member

Casual's are on zero hour contracts. They work as required, but very strictly on Weekends only. They get the same hourly wage as fully contracted staff, although they don't get any of the travel perks and obviously they have no guaranteed income. If you have the freedom and flexibility to do it though, it's a great way in to the company. Many casual staff have gone on to be fully contracted CSA's.

Jen275

Hi Jen,
I know what you mean, I did not get an assesment day on my first application, and I am a qualified nurse so tbh I was a little surprised. Just keep trying, there are loads of ex cc working for them I know about 10 and they all love it. Who do you work for now?

Good luck
karen

Thanks, I work for Monarch, I love it just ready for a change. I know a few ex crew who have gone to Virgin Trains too and also love it. Do you think they look for key words in the answers ?

notadriver

Established Member
Damn I wish more glamorous cabin crew would become on board crew at my TOC! Maybe I should apply for Virgin too :)

SP72

Well todays the day!!! Nervous as hell...thanks for the advice and wish me luck !! :)

kaza

Thanks, I work for Monarch, I love it just ready for a change. I know a few ex crew who have gone to Virgin Trains too and also love it. Do you think they look for key words in the answers ?

The usual pushing customer service, it was exactly the same as cabin crew interviews.

RJ

Established Member

Best of luck, but it's not all it's cracked out to be - it won't be long before you find yourself trying to serve up to 148 people the First Class service on your lonesome due to staff shortages! The money is decent for what it is but there are reasons why turnover is high!

notadriver

Established Member
Isn't that what cabin crew do on board an aircraft anyway and for a lot less money ? That job is about serving people and can understand why you in particular RJ didn't like the role. I've seen train guards pitch in as well. Are the roles shared ?

craigybagel

Established Member
Best of luck, but it's not all it's cracked out to be - it won't be long before you find yourself trying to serve up to 148 people the First Class service on your lonesome due to staff shortages! The money is decent for what it is but there are reasons why turnover is high!

Or you could enjoy the challenge when that happens (which is pretty damn rare, both to have that many in First, and to be by yourself). Go in with the right attitude, and you'll have a great time. Whats more, certainly at my depot at least, almost everyone who left (myself included) did so as part of an internal move. It's a great way of getting experience if you want to move up the railway ladder.

Isn't that what cabin crew do on board an aircraft anyway and for a lot less money ? That job is about serving people and can understand why you in particular RJ didn't like the role. I've seen train guards pitch in as well. Are the roles shared ?

Officially it's nothing to do with the guards. Some of them will happily help out if they can (a lot of them are ex caterers themselves anyway), but if not, you can moan about it, or you can knuckle down and get on with it.

RJ

Established Member
Or you could enjoy the challenge when that happens (which is pretty damn rare, both to have that many in First, and to be by yourself). Go in with the right attitude, and you'll have a great time. Whats more, certainly at my depot at least, almost everyone who left (myself included) did so as part of an internal move. It's a great way of getting experience if you want to move up the railway ladder.

Officially it's nothing to do with the guards. Some of them will happily help out if they can (a lot of them are ex caterers themselves anyway), but if not, you can moan about it, or you can knuckle down and get on with it.

It's a case of horses for courses really.

It's very common for there to only be one CSA in First on weekends- and the trains do tend to get very busy in First, especially when the football is on. Sometimes there are no staff in First so the person in the shop does everything. From my observations as a passenger, that appears to be a part of the job and I'm not convinced it is wholly enjoyed by everyone when it's like that. Likewise with staff shortages during the week - some days certain services have 5 staff in First Class, others the same service only has 2. Some see such services as a challenge to be enjoyed, others are visibly stressed which is something passengers pick up on.

Whether people move internally or otherwise, judging by the frequency with which vacancies appear, there still seems to be a high level of staff turnover in that specific role!

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
It's an entry level position - who really wants to do that for ever? And there is a big backlog in recruitment to get through (most of that ground to a halt in the months leading up to the franchise debacle), with a lot of internal movement going on as well, which has left a lot of vacancies at CSA level that need filling.

I'l agree with you, it's not for everyone, but if you like it, it's a lot of fun for decent money and perks, and a great entry to the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.