• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Watching sport from a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Always wanted to go through Burneside when a cricket match was going on; even for a quick glimpse of the action. Unfortunately that's not yet happened - but it made me wonder, are there any places on the network where a train regulary stops (say waiting for a platform to be available, or the rail ahead clears) where sport can be watched to while away the wait? The Lytham area is particulary good for golf fans!

Must add - I remember the old Burnden park when the drivers of the Bolton/Bury trains would go (deliberately :lol:) slowly over the Embankment so they can catch a bit of the action way down below (must have been unique?)

Oh - as an aside, how many train windows have been broken by stray cricket or golf balls (as opposed to chavvy kids using Sprinters for target practice) and, if that happened, could the railway company get compensation from the club?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shimbleshanks

The approach to London Bridge gives a view of the Millwall ground where they play a game with some similarities to football - always a reasonable chance of a signal check there.

Leylandlad

Just up the line, Kendal cricket club is pretty visible from the train as well!

There's the legendary tale locally of someone hitting the ball out of the ground and it landed in a goods wagon just as the train left for Windermere!

Preston cricket ground (same league as Kendal) is visible from the WCML south of the station. Not that close up though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Remember once watching a decent bit of amateur football from the southbound platform at Girvan once during a break on a railtour. The railway marks the end of the pitch IIRC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's also the story of the football that got kicked out of Gresty Road (Crewe Alexandra FC) and ended up on a freight train bound for Scotland!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Especially on Sundays, you may catch sailing races on the Exe estuary at Starcross- to give just one example!

tbtc

Veteran Member
You used to get a good view of the pitch at Starks Park (Raith Rovers) when your train passed through Kirkcaldy - the stand blocks much of the view nowadays, but its still more of a pitch than you see from most train journeys.

Same goes for Murryfield - before the new stand at the southern end, I'm sure that passengers passing Haymarket used to be able to get a glimpse of the grass (on the rarer occasions that matches took place).

Gayfield (Arbroath)? Been a while since I've been on a train to Aberdeen, but used to be able to watch the trains from the terraces during a bad match...

Gemz91

Lancaster station gives quite a good view of The Giant Axe (Lancaster Citys ground) if memory serves me well.

Howardh

Established Member
Just up the line, Kendal cricket club is pretty visible from the train as well!

Preston cricket ground (same league as Kendal) is visible from the WCML south of the station. Not that close up though.

Kendal, yes, that's true and you can be stopped there for a while! Preston's good for the odd game of hockey, and entering Preston from the south there are the playing fields to your right.

Towards Leyland, don't Bolton Wanderers have a training ground you can peer over the fence?

Established Member
West Ham's training ground is right by the GEML at Chadwell Heath. Remember a Control log item many years ago of a trespasser who turned out to be an apprentice getting their ball back :)

Down stopping trains currently slow down approaching Witham due to the signalling so you could get a glimpse of the mighty Witham Town playing.

The nicest views are of the cricket grounds at Feering (country side of Kelvedon), and at Mistley, both typical village scenes, although unlikely to get stopped so you could catch an over or two.

Evvy73

If you like a bit of Horse Racing, one of the curves of Plumpton Racecourse is right by the station.

That said, Plumpton is a very small village so you'd probably only be there if you were going to the racing anyway!
Google Map Link HERE

Also, the line to Uttoxeter runs right along side the race track - not sure if you can see the track from the station though - I've only been there once by train and it was dark!
Google Map Link HERE

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

I do PE on a Tuesday between 12:10 and 13:05 (period 4) and my school's on the WCML between Preston and Lancaster so you can catch me then. While playing at Irongate (now the Tom Finney Stadium) in Bamber Bridge I've seen trains go past, and I see the pitch from trains when I pass on the way to Burnley, Leeds or York. Never seen a match though.

Sidious

It's possible to see the Doncaster Road End goal at Glanford Park - Scunthorpe United's ground on the approach to Scunthorpe. As it is possible to see the trains go past if stood in the stand. If a freight train driver gives a big blast in the horns, it usually gets a cheer from the crowd!

Qwerty133

Established Member
Also, the line to Uttoxeter runs right along side the race track - not sure if you can see the track from the station though - I've only been there once by train and it was dark!
Google Map Link HERE

IIRC, you can't see the track from the station, the platforms are behind the track and are actually level with the car park and entrance area.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Coming into Selby from the west, you pass the rugby club to the north, where you can see cricket, rugby, and, in the summer ARCHERY!

sn1975

I think I remember seeing both Chester and Worcester racecourses (horses) from train windows?

Taunton

Established Member
Newton Abbot racecourse the back straight runs right beside the Exeter line. I've chanced to be going along there when horses were at full speed alongside the train. Needless to say it got everyone's attention.

David

Established Member
It's possible to see the Doncaster Road End goal at Glanford Park - Scunthorpe United's ground on the approach to Scunthorpe. As it is possible to see the trains go past if stood in the stand. If a freight train driver gives a big blast in the horns, it usually gets a cheer from the crowd!

You can only just see the goal though from the train ....

Btw, most drivers give a good blast on the horn when passing on match days, there must be quite a few Scunthorpe supporters on the rails :P

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Doesn't the line just south of Mitcham Junction towards Hackbridge go through the middle of a golf course or something, or did? I seem to recall something about golf balls going through windows in BR days...

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I think there's a race course on the Weymouth to Waterloo line (on the right when headed to Waterloo), can't remember the name, been over 10 years since I got a train that way, but if there's a signal there, you might see some horse racing

Established Member
I think there's a race course on the Weymouth to Waterloo line (on the right when headed to Waterloo), can't remember the name, been over 10 years since I got a train that way, but if there's a signal there, you might see some horse racing

Sandown Park, Esher to narrow it down a little. Lingfield racecourse is also near the railway.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Dorchester Town is right next to the line although some have denied it.

Aldershot too, in fact in the away bar if you look through the extractor fan behind the bar you can see the wheels passing by.

duncanp

Established Member
Before the redvelopment of Murrayfield Stadium in the early 1990s it was possible to see in to the ground from the railway.

I remember going to matches there and I could almost swear that the trains slowed down to have a look.

Cletus

Established Member
Maidenhead football club is just outside the station, very easy to view games.

Welshman

Established Member
IIRC, both Castleford Rugby League and Blackpool Soccer clubs were adjacent railway lines/sidings.

At Castleford, the ground was to the east of the station towards Gascoigne Wood and at Blackpool to the right of the lines when travelling from South and the old Central station.

ECS parked there used to give the traincrews a grandstand view of the matches - one of the perks of working enthusiasts' specials, no doubt.

Alas, now no more.

TEW

Established Member
The line through Cobham passes right past Chelsea's training ground and you can get a good view of the pitches.

Welshman

Established Member
I think I remember seeing both Chester and Worcester racecourses (horses) from train windows?

Alas, seeing the racing from the Roodee Viaduct when entering Chester by train fills my heart not with glee but loathing, as I contemplate the drunken chavs on Chester station when I am returning in the evening. :(

St Rollox

Morton FC at Cappielow must be up there.

Once saw the Open Golf taking place from a train going into Blackpool South, late 1960s early 1970s.

Hophead

Established Member
Horsham cricket ground is just to the north of the line as it heads south out of town

Status
Not open for further replies.