• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather-Related Disruption (Dec 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Anything on the mainline between oxford and London at the moment that has potential to cause chaos tomorrow?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Anything on the mainline between oxford and London at the moment that has potential to cause chaos tomorrow?

Problems at Hayes at the mo until the end of service. Likely to be fixed by the morning, but expect short forms, and plenty of Turbo vice HST workings due to stock out of place.

Also, what time are you leaving oxford, I will be on the 11:01 to PAD, as far as RDG?

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Problems at Hayes at the mo until the end of service. Likely to be fixed by the morning, but expect short forms, and plenty of Turbo vice HST workings due to stock out of place.

Also, what time are you leaving oxford, I will be on the 11:01 to PAD, as far as RDG?

I'm on the 1000ish off Worcester to Reading then spending a hour in Reading before heading onto Ashford international

D1009

Established Member
Two track railway is expected to be in operation till the end of service today unfortunately.
From what I'm seeing on LDB it's a bit more than a two track railway, HSTs are currently taking 80-90 mins from Paddington to Reading after leaving Padd late due to late incoming services. Presumably some signals still not working, anyone know whether it was cable theft ?

Captain Chaos

I'm on the 1000ish off Worcester to Reading then spending a hour in Reading before heading onto Ashford international

Latest news is that disruption is likely to continue throughout tomorrow morning. Depending on which service plan is in place either the fasts from Worcester will be terminated at Oxford or they run and Padd - Oxford fasts are cancelled and the Cotswold services run through.

TBH, I can't really say. From experience my gut says it will probably be cancelled and only the Padd - Oxford fast shuttles run. With a bit of luck though they might be able to fix the problem beforehand and they can run the service through. If I know anything more and I am able to update on here I will let you know.

EDIT: What I mean by cancelled is that they terminate at Oxford. Not throughout. So you would need to change at Oxford for an alternative service to Reading (I assume you are coming from Worcester reading your previous post?)

AlexS

Established Member
Flooding between Long Eaton and Derby has been causing problems all afternoon.

Various diversions along the Erewash, main thing of note was 1F63 1825 St Pancras to Sheffield HST running via Castle Donnington and Stenson Jn, which is a first for a HST in passenger service for quite some time I think.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Latest news is that disruption is likely to continue throughout tomorrow morning. Depending on which service plan is in place either the fasts from Worcester will be terminated at Oxford or they run and Padd - Oxford fasts are cancelled and the Cotswold services run through.

TBH, I can't really say. From experience my gut says it will probably be cancelled and only the Padd - Oxford fast shuttles run. With a bit of luck though they might be able to fix the problem beforehand and they can run the service through. If I know anything more and I am able to update on here I will let you know.

EDIT: What I mean by cancelled is that they terminate at Oxford. Not throughout. So you would need to change at Oxford for an alternative service to Reading (I assume you are coming from Worcester reading your previous post?)

Hi yes I'll be coming from Worcester heading to the Coast to see relatives. (works out cheaper going Worcester instead of Birmingham!)

wintonian

Established Member
That is what I was talking about, SWT's WICC has been sending messages to staff mobile devices that FGW will convey affected SWT customers on that route. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. :oops:

The line has indeed reopened however SWT will continue to the replacement buses until 1800 and FGW are still accepting SWT tickets to and from Exeter.

SWT said:
Flooding between Brockenhurst and Bournemouth

Flooding is causing disruption in the Sway area.

Because of this, the following changes will apply until further notice:

Services from London Waterloo will terminate at Southampton Central / Brockenhurst.
A train 'shuttle' will run between Bournemouth and Weymouth, departing Bournemouth at xx:04 minutes past the hour and departing Weymouth at xx:20 minutes past the hour
There are no South West Trains services between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst
South West Trains are running buses between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst
CrossCountry services may be delayed by up to 60 minutes
Services have been suspended between Brockenhurst and Lymington Pier. Passengers are advised to use local buses (route 6)
Parking restrictions have been lifted at alternative stations throughout the area
First Great Western are accepting South West Trains passengers between Weymouth and London Paddington.
South West Trains and CrossCountry passengers may use replacement buses between Bournemouth and Brockenhurst. CrossCountry passengers may use First Great Western services between Basingstoke and Reading

Would that include SWT's Weymouth to London SWML passengers? That seems to be the obvious interpretation, albeit a rather interesting way to get to Southampton/ Basingstoke/ Portsmouth etc.

Oh and where have the XC services gone? If the line is closed where are they terminating? Southampton Central or Basingstoke?

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

Hi yes I'll be coming from Worcester heading to the Coast to see relatives. (works out cheaper going Worcester instead of Birmingham!)

Fair enough. We have had ticket acceptance with Crosscountry, Virgin, Chiltern etc for today so that may be the case tomorrow if it is still on-going when you travel. Though that's something that can only really be confirmed tomorrow, but it will at least hopefully allow you other options if the worst comes to the worst.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Following a months rain yesterday in three hours in the Wrexham area, major problems with flooding at Rossett & other local areas of the line.
This was not forecast as being so damaging, many small roads shut due to surfaces being lifted by burst drainage pipes I was caught on one near my home.

Crewe Chester also closed.

marks87

Established Member
Landslip south of Perth, which is impacting on all services, so must be north of Hilton Jn (I think that's the bridge carrying the Friarton Road in the background).

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/282111557721288704/photo/1

There also seems to be something similar between Fort Bill and Crianlarich,. Sleeper passengers are being bussed to Kingussie tonight to pick up the Inverness portion (which itself might be affected by the above).

Also flooding at Montrose which is causing delays.

The rain hasn't let-up since it started in the early hours of yesterday and it's meant to continue into tomorrow so potentially more trouble in the pipeline.

michael769

Established Member
Here is a slightly larger pic

A-ozf5eCAAAINI-.jpg

Network rail plan to have single track running in place soon.

The rainfall is predicted to stop in the next few hours but after a dry night further rain will sweep across tomorrow and Sunday. Again Tayside and Angus will bear the brunt.

The landslip at Tyndrum affecting the West Highland Line has been cleared.

For folks considering road travel as an alternative - many roads in the area a closed or badly affected by flooding. The best advice for the next week or so is not to travel. Not ideal at this time of year of course.

ushawk

Established Member
2 extremes are happening on the network then !! Fires knocking out signalling at Brighton and Hayes in the South - and flooding/landslides in the North.

Not good for one of the busiest days on the railway of the year (tomorrow will be busier, hopefully it isnt worse !!).

marks87

Established Member
The best advice for the next week or so is not to travel. Not ideal at this time of year of course.
I'm weighing up whether or not I should still go to Inverness for the football tomorrow.

As much as I'd like to be there (more to tick the ground off than anything else), the risk of being caught in weather-related disruption doesn't seem worth it.

Established Member
2 extremes are happening on the network then !! Fires knocking out signalling at Brighton and Hayes in the South - and flooding/landslides in the North.

According to the BBC, the fires were caused by short circuits in the trackside wiring - which was itself caused by the wet weather. Not very good either way.

Rich McLean

Established Member
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/disruption
First Great Western said:
Disruption in the West of England

We are experiencing flooding and landslips in the following areas:

Plymouth to Taunton

Trains are unable to operate between Taunton and Plymouth. Therefore, services from Penzance, Plymouth, Exeter St Davids towards Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington will terminate at Plymouth and start from Taunton until further notice.

Services from London Paddington towards Exeter St Davids and the West of England will terminate at Taunton and be started again from Plymouth until further notice.

A very limited road transport operation is currently in place between Taunton, Exeter St Davids and Plymouth, this is being hampered by flooded roads and only a limited number of vehicles being available.

Services between Par and Newquay are also suspended in both directions with no replacement road transport available.

Services between Exeter St Davids and Barnstaple are suspended in both directions, with no replacement road transport available.

Local Firstgroup bus services will accept First Great Western Tickets on reasonable routes.

First Great Western and Arriva Cross Country Trains will accept each others tickets on services that are operating in the West Country.

First Great Western advise customers with non-essential travel to not attempt to travel West of Taunton in either direction.

South Wales

Signalling problems at Cardiff Central is causing significant disruption to services in South Wales. Train Services are currently unable to operate between Newport and Cardiff Central in either direction.

The road network around Newport is currently experiencing severe disruption, which is impinging on our ability to provide road transport.

There is also flooding at Neath, which means we are unable to operate train services between Swansea and Cardiff Central.

An estimation for rectification will be provided to us by Network Rail as soon as more is known.
--------------

From the above Cowley Bridge is about to flood once again, looked very close to the track earlier :(

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Is this going to affect anything through Stafford apart from extensions to Plymouth and Exeter? This is because I'm there spotting tomorrow.

Will the aforementioned services be terminating at Tiverton?

Rich McLean

Established Member
Also, on the B & H earlier just after Castle Cary, I will put big money on that being blocked tomorrow by flooding, water very close to the tracks, and after another heavy downpour, that will be under as well

Goatboy

Established Member
Where is this information coming from? Nothing on NRES site. Obviously sods law is that I've got a trip up that line tommorrow. Sigh.

Coming back down the West of England line on Sunday. I'd imagine that'll get shut as well.

Goatboy

Established Member
Thanks.

It's presumably going to be pretty bad if they can give us 12 hours notice..

Last edited:

MadCommuter

I suppose this allows them to get sufficient stock either side of the expected closure before it happens.

Goatboy

Established Member
And arrange bus services. Last time this happened the bus alternatives between Exeter and Taunton/Tiverton worked mostly very well.

asylumxl

Established Member
Back in the days when I used to go down that way, I was always shocked by some of the flooding and did see the water almost reaching the lines at some points which caused me a bit of worry.

Would installing some large flood drains near the line help matters I wonder? I imagine there isn't much drainage nearby and the soil of the fields is probably saturated regularly.

Goatboy

Established Member
Would installing some large flood drains near the line help matters I wonder? I imagine there isn't much drainage nearby and the soil of the fields is probably saturated regularly.

They are going to have to think about doing something, because closing the main line into Devon and Cornwall every time it rains only works for so longer before people start losing sympathy. The first time it happens its just nature. The second time, well its annoying. But if it continues to happen....

YorkshireBear

Established Member
My 4th year dissertation is on ways the railway can improve response to flooding. I think i may do some interesting focus on Exeter.

Unless you raise the entire line there is little you can do. Drains do not work when everything is flooded, as where does the water go?

I'll expect a lot of messeges from our control when i wake up then. going to be another fun filled day at the office

Status
Not open for further replies.