• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

My brother and I are both drivers working for different companies and a few years ago by sheer coincidence, we were both brought to a stand at the old signal gantry just to the west of Water Orton station, I was on a 66 while he was on a 170. We both thought it was quite bizarre at the time but what was slightly weirder was that night I had a dream where the same thing happened but we were sat alongside each other at Plymouth station, with me on a D800 Warship and him on a D6300 / Class 22. Extremely odd considering he was born a year after the both classes were withdrawn..!

12CSVT

Established Member
Less a train one, more a tram related one. I was walking out of the Wilkinson Street tram depot in Nottingham when I saw one of Metrolink's M5000s moving about in the yard. As if it couldn't get any better, it was fitted with a corridor connection on the front!

Always sticks in my mind that one, very strange! :D

One to rival that. I watched a Blackpool Transport 'Balloon' double decker tram pull away from one of the tram stops on a steep gradient on the Sheffield Supertram system (probably in the Park Grange / Arbourthourne Road area). Bizarrely the tram had a bus engine and it was having such a struggle on the gradient that I was able to walk alongside it.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
:lol:!! Love the tram ones!

I had a couple of odd ones last night.

I was at Waterloo, it was 6pm, and had 3 hours before I had to get to Paddington for my train home, anyway I still haven't done the Windsor & Eton Riverside branch in my dream world, so I went for the 1822. I remember going for it before and it was always rammed, and the train was in so I dashed over to the platform.

Oddly it was by Platform 19, there was no Eurostar platforms, instead you went down some stairs to a lower level two platform station that was a through line, not sure where it came from, anyway I got down just as the doors closed but got through the local door that the guard had open. Then I remember that it called everywhere and I might not be able to get back, as I had to get to Paddington.

Then, I assume this was after on another part of a dream, I was at Waterloo again but I joined the Gatwick Express which was at Platform 11 or something. In went to do it, but I only had a couple of minutes to get on, and it was formed of a 2 x 3 car SouthEastern 375/6's. 375601 and 612. As we left I noticed that there was a 12 car set on the other side, formed of 4 x 3 car 375/6's, and I checked them all in my book and I needed them all, and wished I did that instead.

Very bizarre :s especially the fact that 375/3's are 3 car's not 375/6's :lol:!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah yes forgot the other very brief one!!

This seems to be stemmed from the recent bellowing incident, and some tours like WCRC ensuring no-one leans out the window.

So I was at Sydney Gardens (Bath) waiting for the steam charter to come through, and sure enough it came belting through hauled by a Black 5 with a rake of WCRC Mk1's. The odd thing? The droplights were full of old ladies in their 60's 70's and older all bellowing out the window, flailing and shouting!
I then thought, well I guess bellowing is still permitted on steam tours.

:lol: Flipping weird that was!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had a strange dream that SWT were going to take back the pigs, hire in some rebuilt 73s and some spare Mk3 DVTs and have services running to Salisbury with a 73-442-DVT, electric over the 3rd rail switching to diesel at Basingstoke.

:lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So last night I had a dream that 458 511 had been refurbished with a glass bulkhead between the cab and the saloon. The unit also offered a buffet service with a huge glass fronted fridge full of different wine, and the serving hatch was part of the glass partition in the cab :lol:

trainophile

Established Member
So last night I had a dream that 458 511 had been refurbished with a glass bulkhead between the cab and the saloon. The unit also offered a buffet service with a huge glass fronted fridge full of different wine, and the serving hatch was part of the glass partition in the cab :lol:

Lol I reckon that might be your subconscious telling you you need glasses! :lol:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had another odd rail related dream recently.

I was commuting into Waterloo from SWT land, but to improve their services and to get more reliable, it was on a new Semi Fast Steam hauled service with MK1 carriages only taking 30 minutes, all passengers also got complimentary breakfasts in the morning and beers/wine/meal on the way home!

Then there were also fast main line 125 services departing from Waterloo to all around the UK. (That did happen for a short time I think in the 1980s, but they were not always fast & some were two coach super sprinters going to Wales & Manchester I seem to recall.)

Also in the same dream, was a sectioned off area of the Station were railway employees were punishing fare dodgers, vandals, rude members of the public etc. (Mind you I have seen the way some people speak to railway staff and the staff have my admiration for keeping their cool.)

Last edited:

Envy123

I was on a London Midland service to Manchester Piccadilly, calling at Feneely, Peneely and Deneely. The seats were all dirty with one of them having a brown stain of some sort. :(

What's worse, the station Feneely was a sideways station attached to a football field and the train tilted sideways, so I had to hold onto a dirty bar.

Once I arrived in Manchester Piccadilly, it turned out that I was still a uni student who was curious and visited a different city for 5 minutes before the VT departure back to London, in time for my lecture. I was stopped by a RPF who accused me of travelling on VT with a London Midland ticket. I showed her my dirty hands and pants and she let me go.

D365

Veteran Member
This is a random one, and the first time I've had distinct train-related dreams in a long time - normally it would be my girlfriend, but anyway..!

The five Chiltern 170 conversions were passing through Huntingdon/Peterborough on some kind of 'farewell' tour before their conversion to 168/3 specification, but with cab-end gangways added. Also received a commemorative signature from someone on a spare ticket of mine.

All I remember from Friday night is perusing the D-Train/Pacer topics :lol:

DasLunatic

Another bizarre one.

I was heading for London, waiting at Colchester for my usual train. I first saw a pair of GWR Castles hauling a dead 66 and its freight service, and 60163 'Mallard' on the back of a HGV owned by Beeching Transportation. My Class 90 came in, running with old German N-Wagens in lieu of MkIIIs. The train then entered a tunnel (which doesn't exist IRL) and the train was now a static model in one of the vestibules. This happened repeatedly until I woke up again.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a dream last night that a two coach SR green train like the Hastings Diesel unit was driving along my road and there was not any diesel sound, it seemed to be picking up the juice from a third rail laid in the road??????

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
LOL!! Do you mean driving literally on the road??

I had one last week though I've been meaning to post. Thankfully I still remembered it!

I was walking back from my shift at Asda to get the train home, only I had to do this extremely long walk down this country lane to Severn Beach station. It wasn't quite the same station as reality though, there was a bridge that went over the end of the station (going over a trackbed, the line still ended here in my dream) but it was still a country lane, and there were a couple of farmhouses but that was it.

On this bridge was a couple of refreshment vending machines (as you do on a country lane, don't know how it was plugged in!!) and a Ticket Vending Machine. Anyway I got to the bridge and the train had just rolled in, formed of a Northern 153! I somehow got a Heart-of-Wessex ticket from the machine as I remember thinking instead of getting off at Trowbridge, I might go to Westbury to get a HST to Pewsey...I have NO idea why I wanted to do that mind!!

Then I was on the Northern 153 as we set off, and then the guard came out the front cab to check tickets and then said 'congratulations, I'm pleased to announce that 33 passengers purchased their ticket before getting on the train' and then we all clapped and cheered...imagine that in real life! :lol:!!

The next bit that happened was the next stop being announced:

"We are now approaching Patchway, change here for the Shopping Mall and all major supermarket retailers'

Somehow Severn Beach had a direct Patchway service, and I distinctively remember some big buildings and seeing Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons etc surrounding the station, a bit different to the real Patchway station!

Then I fell asleep on the train and woke up. It was dark and we just arrived at Upwey. I slept through my stop and was hacked off that I was now all the way down in Weymouth. Next thing we stopped at Weymouth station, I was about to get off but I stayed on for the ride. It left Weymouth and then we rolled off the tracks and drove on the road as it did some local town service around Weymouth!!

I didn't see your Hastings Unit though Stevieboy1 :lol:!

Gutfright

So I was sitting on a Metro train when I hear shocked Geordie murmuring directed at me. That's when I realise that I'm actually outside the train, hanging on for dear life til we get to Newcastle. I jump off at the platform and head upstairs to find a D stock tube train in GNER livery waiting to take me down the ECML to London. Then the driver announces that due to "a lack of electricity" all passengers will have to get out and push the train uphill. When the train reaches the top it then zooms downhill leaving me (and no other passengers) stranded on the tracks.

I follow the line down to the next station south which is, obviously, Exhibition Centre. I climb onto the platform and walk over the footbridge. It is then that I realise the footbridge is actually a giant glass tube which leads into outer space, and I watch in panic as planet earth floats away...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
So I was sitting on a Metro train when I hear shocked Geordie murmuring directed at me. That's when I realise that I'm actually outside the train, hanging on for dear life til we get to Newcastle. I jump off at the platform and head upstairs to find a D stock tube train in GNER livery waiting to take me down the ECML to London. Then the driver announces that due to "a lack of electricity" all passengers will have to get out and push the train uphill. When the train reaches the top it then zooms downhill leaving me (and no other passengers) stranded on the tracks.

I follow the line down to the next station south which is, obviously, Exhibition Centre. I climb onto the platform and walk over the footbridge. It is then that I realise the footbridge is actually a giant glass tube which leads into outer space, and I watch in panic as planet earth floats away...

ROFL!! :lol: That is bloody hilarious, the GNER D stock! :lol: The rest of it is great thanks for sharing that :)

backontrack

Established Member
ROFL!! :lol: That is bloody hilarious, the GNER D stock! :lol: The rest of it is great thanks for sharing that :)

OK:

-Glasgow is south of Newcastle
-A giant glass tube sucks him up into space from a Glasgow rail station
-He manages to push a train up a hill by himself
-It then zooms away due to cartoon physics

And the GNER D stock is the most ridiculous thing??!? :lol:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
OK:

Yep, wins it all, the other stuff is not far from reality....:lol:

(joking!)

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I've had many weird train-related dreams in the past and I just had one last night. Several gems:

2). The terminus of the Jubilee Line westbound was not Stanmore but "Palmer Oa". The next station was "Palmer Oa Broa".

:

I like this one. I once had a dream that the Met Line terminated at "Aton". Lots of unpainted A stock with ATON ATON on the blinds.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a ticket printed on London Overground stock from Madrid to Cark & Cartmel. I was waiting at an unknown station and a train pulled in hauled by two class 20s. On board the train the seating was all airline style, 3+3 IC70 seats in EMT moquette.

urpert

I was on a London Midland service to Manchester Piccadilly, calling at Feneely, Peneely and Deneely. The seats were all dirty with one of them having a brown stain of some sort. :(

What's worse, the station Feneely was a sideways station attached to a football field and the train tilted sideways, so I had to hold onto a dirty bar.

Once I arrived in Manchester Piccadilly, it turned out that I was still a uni student who was curious and visited a different city for 5 minutes before the VT departure back to London, in time for my lecture. I was stopped by a RPF who accused me of travelling on VT with a London Midland ticket. I showed her my dirty hands and pants and she let me go.

This one is actually amazing.

Gutfright

OK:

To be fair, there were maybe a couple of dozen passengers helping me push the train uphill, but when the train started going downhill the other passengers just sort of stopped existing.

Although you've got me thinking now. In the first part of the dream I was a literal outsider being ridiculed by other people (on the Metro). Then I was co-operating with others towards a common goal (on the GNER D stock). And finally I was alone, wandering and ultimately leaving a completely deserted planet.

Maybe it wasn't a funny, wacky dream but something much darker? A bleak reflection of deep-seated anxieties about social isolation, or perhaps it was about the futility of all human endeavour? Or the impermanence of our existence?

It is possible that I'm over-analysing things, mind.

backontrack

Established Member
To be fair, there were maybe a couple of dozen passengers helping me push the train uphill, but when the train started going downhill the other passengers just sort of stopped existing.

Although you've got me thinking now. In the first part of the dream I was a literal outsider being ridiculed by other people (on the Metro). Then I was co-operating with others towards a common goal (on the GNER D stock). And finally I was alone, wandering and ultimately leaving a completely deserted planet.

Maybe it wasn't a funny, wacky dream but something much darker? A bleak reflection of deep-seated anxieties about social isolation, or perhaps it was about the futility of all human endeavour? Or the impermanence of our existence?

Scratch that, we've got GNER D STOCK! This is amazing! We have to tell everyone!

GNER ARE BACK, AND THEY'RE OPERATING RE-LIVERIED LU D STOCK, EVERYBODY! :p

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
LOL!! Do you mean driving literally on the road??

I had one last week though I've been meaning to post. Thankfully I still remembered it!

I was walking back from my shift at Asda to get the train home, only I had to do this extremely long walk down this country lane to Severn Beach station. It wasn't quite the same station as reality though, there was a bridge that went over the end of the station (going over a trackbed, the line still ended here in my dream) but it was still a country lane, and there were a couple of farmhouses but that was it.

On this bridge was a couple of refreshment vending machines (as you do on a country lane, don't know how it was plugged in!!) and a Ticket Vending Machine. Anyway I got to the bridge and the train had just rolled in, formed of a Northern 153! I somehow got a Heart-of-Wessex ticket from the machine as I remember thinking instead of getting off at Trowbridge, I might go to Westbury to get a HST to Pewsey...I have NO idea why I wanted to do that mind!!

Then I was on the Northern 153 as we set off, and then the guard came out the front cab to check tickets and then said 'congratulations, I'm pleased to announce that 33 passengers purchased their ticket before getting on the train' and then we all clapped and cheered...imagine that in real life! :lol:!!

The next bit that happened was the next stop being announced:

"We are now approaching Patchway, change here for the Shopping Mall and all major supermarket retailers'

Somehow Severn Beach had a direct Patchway service, and I distinctively remember some big buildings and seeing Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons etc surrounding the station, a bit different to the real Patchway station!

Then I fell asleep on the train and woke up. It was dark and we just arrived at Upwey. I slept through my stop and was hacked off that I was now all the way down in Weymouth. Next thing we stopped at Weymouth station, I was about to get off but I stayed on for the ride. It left Weymouth and then we rolled off the tracks and drove on the road as it did some local town service around Weymouth!!

I didn't see your Hastings Unit though Stevieboy1 :lol:!

It seemed to be going along the normal road, but there were railway lines in the surface of the road, a bit like tram lines running through the streets. :)

Your Weymouth dream is not so odd, as trains did used to run through the streets in Weymouth linking the main line with the quayside station for boat / train connections mainly to the Channel Islands. The track is still there, I think there last train to use it was a special railtour charter a few years ago. There are other threads about it on this website.

Envy123

I like this one. I once had a dream that the Met Line terminated at "Aton". Lots of unpainted A stock with ATON ATON on the blinds.

Interesting. I once dreamt that the Bakerloo line went to Fratton, Upminster, Canary Wharf and Peterborough, but all I got was a damaged train. :(

I also had the Piccadilly Line going to Cambridge once.

This one is actually amazing.

I usually randomly visit tube stations when I was bored at uni, so I guess that it seeped into my dreams somehow. :)

The LM service must've been cheap if I went to Manchester as a student, all other things being equal. :p

urpert

I had a good one last night. I was standing (or possibly on a bus) on the Clerkenwell Rd bridge just north of Farringdon. On the Widened Lines an HST with a class 91 replacing one of the power cars was being passed by an APT, both in InterCity livery. Behind me, on a new viaduct over Clerkenwell Rd, was one of the Sheffield tram-trains in Crossrail livery.

(It may have been brought on by the photos of Class 31s at Moorgate in that first class Northern City Line thread.)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Two from me:

1. Was waiting for a Pendolino at Manchester Piccadilly (coming from Longsite depot) to work a service to Euston. They announced a delay as a replacement set of coaches had to be found. The replacement set of coaches was an HST rake but rather than power cars there was a DRS Class 37 loco at one end and a Vigin livired Class 87 at the other.

2. Was standing at Pollokshields East station in Glasgow when they announced that all local trains were cancelled as they has to divert main line trains via Rutherglen through.The first diverted main line service to run through non stop was a German DB ICE set and the second was also a German DB ICE set with destination of Amsterdam with special stop orders for all local stations to Motherwell.