• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you like to see preserved in 10 - 15 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
I'm thinking along the lines of trains that have been running on our main lines for some time.

The first that come to my mind is the 156s. They've been on the main line since the 80s, correct? Yet, by travelling on ScotRail's fleet every day almost, they feel like brand new trains. I'd love to see a few of these spared the cutters torch, and since they're DMUs, they would fit right in on those Heritage lines!

Now with this next one, I'm willing to bet I'm not alone here. The 314s have served us since around 79 and are currently the oldest in the ScotRail armada. They're reliable things, getting you from A to C with a stop at B. They're not the most comfortable units out there, but that only adds to their character IMO. Yeah, I'd like to see a few of these spared the torch as well, but since only one 303 was saved and considering they were more nostaglic to Glasgow's railways, I wonder if the 314s actually stand much of a chance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
I used to work on the 314's, and i always loved how fast they seemed to pull away, compared to the newer electrics anyway. Always freezing in the winter, though at least they are reliable in freezing conditions.:D

Aictos

Established Member
313s form the oldest fleet in First full stop so really ought to take priority over 314s, ;)

Plus they are DC as well as AC as opposed to just DC or AC.

Still, if you talking diesels then I would like to see the following where viable preserved:

Class 150 (preferable a 150/2)
Class 153
Class 155
Class 156
Class 158

When it comes to Electrics:

Class 313
Class 317
Class 319
Class 321

As to locos, 90s with 92s and 60s :)

At least two HST sets, so train designers can see how to design a decent quality train.

At least two of these:

158/9
Most new 3rd rail EMU's

As perfect examples of how NOT to do it.

Oswyntail

Established Member
It would be good to see one of each distinct class properly preserved. So a Class 313, but perhaps a choice between 314/315 as (I am probably wrong here) they are essentially the same. Equally a 142 and a 143 or 144.
*** the controversial bit ***
What I would not like to see is a repeat of the situation we got with the Bulleid Pacifics and Class 50s where a much higher proportion of the class was saved than its importance justified, simply because the supply was there. If, instead of putting loads of money into buying and restoring yet another 37, enthusiasts (for example) set about creating a stretch of electrified route, or negotiating in advance for a 90 or 60. Resources are scarce. This is not only money, but volunteer effort, technical expertise, sheer space. But, most important of all, public interest can be deflated. A really rare outing by a well-preserved unique locomotive beats yet another run by a shabby 47 any day.

LE Greys

Established Member
At least two HST sets, so train designers can see how to design a decent quality train.

Hear! Hear! What I wouldn't give to power out of Loughborough Central at the controls of that! :D Have one in yellow/blue/grey and one in IC Swallow. I'd suggest the former 253001 (PCs 43002/003) and an ECML 2+9 set. Ideally, one set should be in main line condition for 125 mph railtours.

At least two of these:

158/9
Most new 3rd rail EMU's

As perfect examples of how NOT to do it.

Add a Pacer or two and there you are. :p

charlesn132

313s form the oldest fleet in First full stop so really ought to take priority over 314s, ;)

Plus they are DC as well as AC as opposed to just DC or AC.

Still, if you talking diesels then I would like to see the following where viable preserved:

Class 150 (preferable a 150/2)
Class 153
Class 155
Class 156
Class 158

When it comes to Electrics:

Class 313
Class 317
Class 319
Class 321

As to locos, 90s with 92s and 60s :)
Good choice, I would pick those trains too.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have one in yellow/blue/grey and one in IC Swallow.

But what livery would you put the Mk3s in if the locos are all different? Perhaps it would be better to have one set in say Swallow and the other in blue/yellow then every few years or so change it to the Blue/Grey and so on.

TheExmoorBeast said:
At least two of these:

158/9

Whats wrong with the 158/9s?

Personally I would like to see some HST's preserved for sure. But as one poster above me has said I think the best thing would be to make sure that whenever a class is decommisioned we make sure that at least a few survive the cutters torch, rather that the motley collection we have now (Lots of 47s, not many 45s for instance).

Bittern

Established Member
I used to work on the 314's, and i always loved how fast they seemed to pull away, compared to the newer electrics anyway. Always freezing in the winter, though at least they are reliable in freezing conditions.:D

Problem would be the livery. Strathclyde Orange is nostalgic, but they make the Carmine & Cream look good. Similar for the 156 in either First ScotRail Barbie which looks smart, or the ScotRail Saltire which looks sexy.

LE Greys

Established Member
But what livery would you put the Mk3s in if the locos are all different? Perhaps it would be better to have one set in say Swallow and the other in blue/yellow then every few years or so change it to the Blue/Grey and so on.

That's roughly what I meant, but I would prefer the first set (as 253001) in original 'Inter-City 125' livery.

Whats wrong with the 158/9s?

Personally I would like to see some HST's preserved for sure. But as one poster above me has said I think the best thing would be to make sure that whenever a class is decommisioned we make sure that at least a few survive the cutters torch, rather that the motley collection we have now (Lots of 47s, not many 45s for instance).

I agree there. It's inevitable that we will end up with a big campaign to save 58s and 60s, and we might end up with quite a lot of those at the expense of a.c. locos (except for the AC Loco Group, I suppose). Perhaps having very few places to run them influences this.

GearJammer

I can't help but think that theres gonna be a lot more than two sets of HST's preserved, i could easily imagine the out fit that own the Cargo D blue/grey sets having a couple of sets (and i wonder what colour they'll paint them? ;) )
In fact i would'nt be surprised to see railtour companies buying there own HST's at some point to save on the expence of hireing stock from third parties.
I can't ever see the HST's being completely withdrawn from service, they'll always be about on the network owned by various individuals.

Vulcan

Some 91s, and 90s in working order, (see seperate thread)
some class 60s
Pacers! A preserved pacer would be ideal for bouncing along the jointed track of a preserved railway, and my future children and grandchildren will ask 'How did people ever cope with travelling on these?'

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A preserved pacer would be ideal for bouncing along the jointed track of a preserved railway, and my future children and grandchildren will ask 'How did people ever cope with travelling on these?'

You're being a bit optomistic about when the Pacers are going to be withdrawn aren't you :lol:

Established Member
hahaha, for me more class 37s because there is no such thing as "too many"....

seriously speaking theres not really anything id like to see in the future apart from

class 57s
class 67s
class 321s

Ivo

Established Member
Of units at least remotely likely to be lost before 2025, HSTs are an absolute must. They are *the* icon of our railways post-Beeching.

Otherwise, I would recommend:

...um...

And not recommend [I'm going to get slaughtered for this]:

150s
313s
321s
PACERS!!!!! (It's only a matter of time, folks... before the Pacer Wars resume!)

Normal service has resumed. Too many bottles of local sherbet, well 3 actually :

Glastonbury's Golden Chalice (4.8 abv)
Exmoor's Beast (6.6% abv)
Bath's Wild Hare (5% abv)

Good job I didn't have to work or drive today! :oops:

Maybe with that load of alcohol in me, it wasn't any wonder that I was well and truly pickled!

LE Greys

Established Member
It might be worth considering one driving car each of a 507, a 455 and a 4-NET. The NRM have quite a few bits and pieces of Southern units, including a 4-SUB driving car, an old LNWR driving car and a 4-VEP, so some later BR vehicles would make a decent contrast.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
What would I liked to see preserved int he next decade or so?...

'Networkers' (Classes 165, 166, 365, 465, 466) These are my personal favorite type of trains (Class 465s espicially!) and show the improvements over the units they replaced (Sorry EPB, your still brilliant though!).

Class 315s, as these are brilliant units they also give such a smooth nice journey which never disappoints me, with the only minor fault being the loud squeek as they pull into the station (Which you can't really hold against them).

Class 43 HSTs, In my opinion these are the most iconic train to ever operate in britain, also most succesful I would say, and never fail to disappoint. :)

Tomnick

Established Member
What would I like to see preserved in 10 or 15 years? Given that there's neither the resources or the revenue to keep much more motive power in a working condition (and it gets incredibly boring anyway ;) ), I'd like to suggest that we ought to be looking to preserve an NX panel, as they gradually disappear in various resignalling projects (and are mostly outlived by mechanical signalling??). If there is a (small) one in preservation, I'm not aware of it. Much more interesting stuff :) .

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm thinking along the lines of trains that have been running on our main lines for some time.

The first that come to my mind is the 156s. They've been on the main line since the 80s, correct? Yet, by travelling on ScotRail's fleet every day almost, they feel like brand new trains. I'd love to see a few of these spared the cutters torch, and since they're DMUs, they would fit right in on those Heritage lines!

I suspect that most of the 15x series will still be in everyday service in 15 to 20 years time. Agree, though that some 156's are worth preserving on heritage lines when they eventually become surplus.
Bevan

Vulcan

We need one example of every class to be preserved. It would be a shame to see any class become completely extinct, however good or bad they were on the mainline.

LE Greys

Established Member
What would I like to see preserved in 10 or 15 years? Given that there's neither the resources or the revenue to keep much more motive power in a working condition (and it gets incredibly boring anyway ;) ), I'd like to suggest that we ought to be looking to preserve an NX panel, as they gradually disappear in various resignalling projects (and are mostly outlived by mechanical signalling??). If there is a (small) one in preservation, I'm not aware of it. Much more interesting stuff :) .

That's actually a very good idea. There is a lot of absolute block signalling equipment in preservation, and a few Westinghouse lever frames in various places, but I've never heard of anything newer. With modern equipment, there won't be much to preserve (you can't put software in a glass case) so there should be something from the era before that.

Other oddities, I want to see the last big, mechanical 'flap' destination board preserved. It's a pity the one from York wasn't moved to the NRM, where it could carry on doing its job up on the wall. I wanted to save the King's Cross board, but could not afford to buy it. If there is one still going, then someone ought to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.