• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you like to see preserved in 10 - 15 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
There's actually a good point being made there!

We don't need to assume that "preservation" always means preserved and in working condition. If the alternatives were only "preserved and working" or scrapped, then we'd loose a lot of opportunities to admire the engineering achievents of the past.
I like the idea of keeping a few examples of locos, rolling stock, signal boxes, station and yard fittings etc somwhere where they are seen and appreciated, even if they are permanently doomed never to work again.

There's plenty places on the network where the trackside is derelict, formerly active railway infrastructure. It would be nice to see some more old rolling stock being maintained in so that they appear to be in their original condition.
That's the sort of project that the Heritage Lottery Fund would consider supporting.

I bet these static displays would be prime targets for vandalism, do you reckon station staff would be bothered to maintain the display. Also you cant display them in unstaffed stations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
I agree that at least one full HST set should be preserved in original livery, and re-fitted with Paxman engines to give the authentic ear-splitting shrieking noise!

Hear! Hear! :D

Isn't that part of the reason for the growing interest in new-build steam locos?

I've heard a few ideas about a short production run of Standard 3s (both tank and tender versions) to fill the gap. It's a good idea, they are simple, easy to maintain designs that run very well at branch line speeds. They're not the best looking engines, but I'm sure they work well enough.

Bittern

Established Member
I've heard a few ideas about a short production run of Standard 3s (both tank and tender versions) to fill the gap. It's a good idea, they are simple, easy to maintain designs that run very well at branch line speeds. They're not the best looking engines, but I'm sure they work well enough.

The wikipedia entry for Steam locomotives show there's quite a lot happening on the new steam loco side. Tornado has really started something.

Foxhound

Looking to the future, a HST set (main line certified for charters, with Valenta engines and in origional B.R. livery), a class 60 and a 156 or 158 should be saved.

HST - Probably will be - so, yes.
60 - Yes.

156? 158?

Aaargh!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
156? 158?

Aaargh!

Why not? We should be trying to preserve examples of all units/locos on the network today (when the time comes anyway, I imagine that 15x and 14x are going to be around for some time yet!)

LE Greys

Established Member
Why not? We should be trying to preserve examples of all units/locos on the network today (when the time comes anyway, I imagine that 15x and 14x are going to be around for some time yet!)

We should certainly preserve the Sprinters, the backbone of Regional Railways for many years (and probably the saviour of the Settle and Carlisle). I suppose people would say that we were mad to preserve first gen DMUs, 'Bogcarts' I believe they called them. Hard to imagine heritage lines without them now.

Minor refit and a 142 would make a very good fairground ride! :lol:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Tourists would want to travel behind an 08, seriously?

I definately agree with the networkers (although mine is the 365, I used to travel on them almost every day when they did Victoria - Dover / Ramsgate), although I'm not keen on the front of the 365s they looked better when they had the current 465 fronts! I think that these would probably still be running by then though! (466001 or 365501!)

I would also like to see HSTs, as well as a 373 (they are bound to be changed at some point!, although no one seems to want to preserve DMUs or EMUs its all class 37s, or deltics or similar locomotives only :( (with only a handful of mus :( )

That brings back good memorys of Class 365s on the SE, just got the image of one in Connex livery! As for the front ends of 365s I totally agree, only one I can think of with a 'normal' front end left is the unit involved in the Potters Bar accident, and its in 'Toothpaste' still! And there no idea of bringing it back into service yet, which is a shame. :)

I think it would of been nice to see an exsample of a REP left around, before there traction motors were incorparated into the 442s although thats another unit which I would also like to be preserved, good amount of history behind the units aswell.

Vulcan

yet again I make the arguement that Pacers arn't that bad. There should definately be an example of each preserved.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well said Vulcan! We might not think that 14x's are worth preserving now, but I imagine most people were saying the same thing about the 1st Gen DMU's when they were being scrapped. Now however plenty of people say "oh I wish such and such a unit had been preserved".

Vulcan

Exactly. And as well as that, if we don't keep examples of them, future generations will never believe there were DMUs with only 4 wheels per coach racing around the network at up to 75mph in 21st century Britain!

Foxhound

Probably my age catching up with me. I had a 156 into Waverley a few weeks back and was saddened by how tired it looked and sounded. Prefer them to 158s, though, so a 156 it is....

mumrar

Established Member
I'm afraid I'm too lazy to read through it all to see if I am repeating things, but here's my list.
HSTs
Class 150s
Class 156s
Class 59s
Class 90s perhaps?
Class 319s
Some of the second gen 3rd southern region EMUs.

Imagine some of the crazy demo freights you could do with a Class 59!

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Exactly. And as well as that, if we don't keep examples of them, future generations will never believe there were DMUs with only 4 wheels per coach racing around the network at up to 75mph in 21st century Britain!

I agree.

Although I am usually anti-Pacer, I think that no matter how hated or liked a certain class of train is we do need to preserve an exsample of each class even if its only one unit.

This mean IF a 'Pacer' is ever preserved I can still say "Bloody things!"... :p :lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
There's already quite a few of the earlier 141 Pacers preserved (proportional to the relatively small class size), so we can already be sure that cursing at preserved Pacers in the future will be in need of the plural form!

Waddon

Would Like to see a victoria line and district line train preserved when the new stock comes in...

But also would like to see the little detail bits preserved, such as the older style push button ticket machines (now being replaced with touch screen versions)

Would also love to see an old 'casey jones burgers' shop installed somewhere, just for nostalgic reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.