• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which British city should host Eurovision 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regardless of any of that, you simply can't host a major international event in a warzone.

The best they could really argue for is that Ukraine should host it in the UK (or, if easier, Poland), i.e. the Ukrainian TV company should hire a UK (or Polish) venue and run it themselves rather than the Beeb doing it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Again, it just isn't that important. I bet Putin doesn't give a damn about the Eurovision Song Contest, one way or the other. Doing anything to it, deliberately or otherwise, would be an epic PR fail. There's no payoff, even with the morale thing. If I'm a Ukrainian man conscripted into street fighting with a gun whilst my family is spirited away to somewhere in central or western Europe, I don't give much of a damn about the Eurovision Song Contest either. If I care at all, it's only going to motivate me to oppose Russia even more.
I'd bet you don't understand Vladimir Putin one little bit.

Gareth

Established Member
I'd bet you don't understand Vladimir Putin one little bit.

And you do, wise-ass?

I disagree. Participation in Eurovision is part of the whole "west facing view" that Russia is trying to fight against. I'm pretty sure that the suspension of Russia and Belarus from the EBU while Ukraine continues to be a member is just one more thing that feeds into Putin's paranoia.

Is it the number one thing, no of course not, but it all adds up.

I doubt they especially liked being suspended but I also doubt they lose sleep over it. Shelling the Eurovision Song Contest would be an epic fail. Embarrassing even. Nonetheless, I doubt the theory will be tested, as it almost certainly won't be held there, so long as the war is still a thing, so it's more or less academic.

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
And you do, wise-ass?
Apologies. I shojuld have put it differently.

But if Putin were worried about good PR (at least for the west), do you think he would have invaded Ukraine?

From his actions, Putin has a track record of bullying and humiliating. If Ukraine named a stadium, I'd say Putin would target it pretty quickly for the PR - for his home audience.

najaB

Veteran Member
I doubt they especially liked being suspended but I also doubt they lose sleep over it. Shelling the Eurovision Song Contest would be an epic fail. Embarrassing even
Of course they wouldn't attack the contest itself as that would be counter-productive. However, a bomb through the roof of the venue, or even one of the hotels a week or two beforehand would be enough to disrupt the whole thing and embarrass Kyiv.

Gareth

Established Member

Apologies. I shojuld have put it differently.

Apology accepted.

Of course they wouldn't attack the contest itself as that would be counter-productive. However, a bomb through the roof of the venue, or even one of the hotels a week or two beforehand would be enough to disrupt the whole thing and embarrass Kyiv.

Sounds more like the IRA than the Ruskies but yes, something like that could quite easily happen, which is why it won't be held there. And as unlikely as I think Russian tanks shelling Eurovision is, the risk is not quite 0%. Warzones are unpredictable and dangerous and it would be irresponsible to hold it in Ukraine whilst the situation is as it is.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I noticed that Aberdeen was brought up in previous posts, and it was briefly mentioned on the STV news bulletin last night. If Eurovision were to be held at P&J Live, I'd certainly be interested in going. It would be nice to have such an event this far north, too.

najaB

Veteran Member
I noticed that Aberdeen was brought up in previous posts, and it was briefly mentioned on the STV news bulletin last night. If Eurovision were to be held at P&J Live, I'd certainly be interested in going. It would be nice to have such an event this far north, too.
Same here. I'm not a massive Eurovision fan, but I would definitely go if it was held in Aberdeen. I might even go to Glasgow for it.

dosxuk

Established Member
The EBU have released a pretty strongly worded response to the political demands that the contest is held in Ukraine

Here are a couple of pertinent points
It is therefore critical that decisions made in relation to such a complex live television event are made by broadcasting professionals and do not become politicized.
In response to the EBU’s security questionnaire a number of risks that would impact the immediate planning for such a large event, including the “severe” risk of air raids/attacks by aircraft or attacks by drones or missiles, which can cause significant casualties, were highlighted by the Ukrainian assessment provided to us.

Additionally, the EBU sought third-party expert security advice which clearly stated that the counter measures proposed to mitigate the threats planning the event in Ukraine were insufficient for an international public event and the risk rating of a mass casualty event due to the ongoing conflict is “high”.

Full statement here - https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-on-hosting-of-the-2023-eurovision

najaB

Veteran Member
The EBU have released a pretty strongly worded response to the political demands that the contest is held in Ukraine
Which should come as a surprise to nobody - there was zero chance that Eurovision was going to be held in Ukraine by this time next year.

Perhaps a legal fiction could be used by which the UK (as second-place country) designates the performing venue to be Ukrainian territory for the period when the contest is held.

JamesT

Established Member
Manchester Co-op arena opens next year capacity 23,500. Word has it the Nynex/MEN or whatever its called now are trying to up capacity to compete- I cant see how plus it will cost £££'s. Their main USP is that it is above Man Vic station so I wouldn't panic.
Though the Co-op is only due to open towards the end of the year, so won't be ready in time for Eurovision.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Though the Co-op is only due to open towards the end of the year, so won't be ready in time for Eurovision.

(I mis read this and thought it was referring to a Co Op Supermarket!! (Think of the little blue divvy stamps you'd get-Showing my age here))

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Manchester Co-op arena opens next year capacity 23,500. Word has it the Nynex/MEN or whatever its called now are trying to up capacity to compete- I cant see how plus it will cost £££'s. Their main USP is that it is above Man Vic station so I wouldn't panic.

It's doable. The Manchester Arena is very similar to Madison Square Garden, and there's space to expand. They certainly won't panic, because it's far better for public transport, especially late at night.

najaB

Veteran Member
The BBC published an article today that listed the main venues in contention and the issue that they face with scheduling:

No large arena in the UK currently has enough of a gap in its event listings to host Eurovision next year.

Several council officials told BBC News that organisers told them a venue would be needed by producers six to eight weeks ahead of the song contest.

Cities hoping to host the event will find out on Friday if they will be shortlisted.

It's now almost certain other tour dates will need to be postponed or cancelled to make room for it in May.

Magic Mike, André Rieu and Elton John all have shows booked in places bidding to hold the contest during that period, including Liverpool, Leeds and Glasgow in that period.

The shortlist was announced yesterday:
The shortlist of UK cities that could host next year's Eurovision Song Contest has been revealed, with seven locations in the running.

Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield will vie to stage the event in May.

Twenty cities expressed an interest, the BBC said, and those not making the shortlist include London and Belfast.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Just heard on the radio that the two remaining candidates are now Liverpool and Glasgow. This process is taking quite a while and leaves the winning city, what, six months (less?) to prepare, and we still don't have a winner!

Even a certain leadership contest didn't take this long!!!

Edit; found a link to the news

Liverpool and Glasgow are the two cities which remain in the competition to host the Eurovision song contest in 2023, when it will be held in the UK for the first time in 25 years.

The two cities were selected after Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester were removed from contention to host the music event. The BBC said a final decision would be made “within weeks”.

8A Rail

Established Member
That has surprised myself, although I live in Liverpool, I thought ultimately that Manchester would be selected, due to the Ukrainian population based there, along with BBC having facilities there already, and not forgetting decent transport links too. Fingers cross, it is Liverpool then but we wait and see.

D6130

Established Member
Ah, but Glasgow produced Matt McGinn, Hamish Imlach, Dick Gaughan, Billy Connolly, Gerry Rafferty, Bert Jansch, Maggie Reilly and Donovan....to name but a few. I think by now you'll be getting the gist of my musical tastes. Much though I love Liverpool and its wonderful people, I think the above- mentioned personalities knock four guys in grey suits with pudding basin haircuts into a cocked hat! (Puts on hard hat and runs for cover! )

Howardh

Established Member
Ah, but Glasgow produced Matt McGinn, Hamish Imlach, Dick Gaughan, Billy Connolly, Gerry Rafferty, Bert Jansch, Maggie Reilly and Donovan....to name but a few. I think by now you'll be getting the gist of my musical tastes. Much though I love Liverpool and its wonderful people, I think the above- mentioned personalities knock four guys in grey suits with pudding basin haircuts into a cocked hat! (Puts on hard hat and runs for cover! )
You will have to run for cover, no mention of Simple Minds!

Status
Not open for further replies.