• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which British city should host Eurovision 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Liverpool has won the right to be next Eurovision host City over Glasgow. Even as a proud Glaswegian, I never the less say - 'well done, Liverpool!'

Peter0124

Established Member
So to go by that tweet I linked, is Scotrail really one of the reasons why Glasgow wasn't picked?

high camera

Liverpool is a worthy winner and more than capable of hosting the competition, if you haven't been to the city recently try and pay it a visit and see what's on offer, especially the waterfront area. And before you call me a "Scouser" Im not, I am a "Manc" !! Well done Liverpool Im sure you will put on a great show.

johnnychips

Established Member
What will the venue be?

Good choice - fantastic city with music heritage unparalleled, loads of hotels, own airport, Manchester and Manchester airport very close by, great rail links between the two…erm.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Does Liverpool Speke/John Lennon Airport have many international flights from / to Mainland Europe? Have they said which venue will be used for the Song Contest?

Snow1964

Established Member
Does Liverpool Speke/John Lennon Airport have many international flights from / to Mainland Europe? Have they said which venue will be used for the Song Contest?

The M&S Bank Arena, which is on site of a former dock by the Mersey and has an exhibition/convention centre next door so can accommodate all the associated stuff.

There will be nine shows not just the final.
As well as the live final on Saturday 13 May, fans will be able to watch a "jury show" on the Friday, which the international juries base their votes on, and a "family show" on Saturday afternoon, which is effectively a final rehearsal.
Then there will be two semi-finals on the preceding Tuesday and Thursday - and jury and family shows for each.

Regarding the airport, I suspect Manchester was deemed close enough, as that has flights all over Europe.

Now just need lots of special trains (bring back 1980s style Merrymaker ?) to get people to the 9 shows.

greatkingrat

Established Member
From a rail perspective it isn't that big an event, the capacity is quite small compared to a football match or the grand national. Plus many attendees will be foreign and probably fly in, not using rail at all.

8A Rail

Established Member

Yes, they have a handful from airports (some regional) in Europe such as Geneva, Stockholm, Oporto, Nice, Warsaw, Barcelona, Rome, Budapest, Gdansk, Frankfurt, Dublin plus a few others. The airport has plenty of capacity to take further flights too.

As 'Snow1964' has confirmed, being held at the M&S Arena which for clarification is next to the Albert Dock complex and the 'Three Graces' (Pier Head). As for rail, there is hardly extra capacity anyway especially when you are looking at Avanti, TPEx and Northern, they are all struggling to provide a full service at the moment for one reason or another. Other train providers such as West Coast and LSL may be able to offer a tour from some location to Liverpool during the event but not much else I imagine.

On the bright side, most hotels in and around the area, are filling up fast, nearly full or are full already. I doubt there be any cheap deals on offer now, as I've heard that £600 for one night is one rate currently on offer!

I'm glad Liverpool got it. Not for any pro-Liverpool reasons. Just glad Scotland isn't going to be lumbered with it. Still probably have to pay for most of it though! :p

The only good reason for the SECC to host would be to get some recreations of scenes from the Will Ferrell film, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga. Love that film!

Djgr

Established Member
Yes, they have a handful from airports (some regional) in Europe such as Geneva, Stockholm, Oporto, Nice, Warsaw, Barcelona, Rome, Budapest, Gdansk, Frankfurt, Dublin plus a few others. The airport has plenty of capacity to take further flights too.

As 'Snow1964' has confirmed, being held at the M&S Arena which for clarification is next to the Albert Dock complex and the 'Three Graces' (Pier Head). As for rail, there is hardly extra capacity anyway especially when you are looking at Avanti, TPEx and Northern, they are all struggling to provide a full service at the moment for one reason or another. Other train providers such as West Coast and LSL may be able to offer a tour from some location to Liverpool during the event but not much else I imagine.

On the bright side, most hotels in and around the area, are filling up fast, nearly full or are full already. I doubt there be any cheap deals on offer now, as I've heard that £600 for one night is one rate currently on offer!
I imagine that there will a lot of private properties being let for a week.

Of course next year the Open golf returns to the Royal Liverpool in Hoylake and so some lucky homeowners will get a double whammy!

johnnychips

Established Member
I am quite intrigued at the logistics of this. Do you think the organisers block book a few hotels before making the announcement so that the contestants and media all have guaranteed accommodation?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Of course next year the Open golf returns to the Royal Liverpool in Hoylake and so some lucky homeowners will get a double whammy!
It amuses me no end that the "Royal Liverpool" golf club is at Hoylake, on the far side of the Wirral peninsula. As Tranmere Rovers fans are known to sing: "We're not ****ing Scousers, We're from Birkenhead!"

johnnychips

Established Member
It amuses me no end that the "Royal Liverpool" golf club is at Hoylake, on the far side of the Wirral peninsula. As Tranmere Rovers fans are known to sing: "We're not ****ing Scousers, We're from Birkenhead!"
No doubt they are sponsored by Ryanair. :D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I am quite intrigued at the logistics of this. Do you think the organisers block book a few hotels before making the announcement so that the contestants and media all have guaranteed accommodation?
They may do, it would seem sensible. I wonder too, if there were any other concerts / events already planned for that venue which now have to be changed. This was an issue at other proposed cities I think. I wonder which TV stations will pay for this, BBC? , Ukraine TV? perhaps etc?

duncanp

Established Member
The Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 is having an item this lunchtime about the eye watering price increases in hotels in Liverpool around the time of the contest, but also about hotels cancelling existing bookings so that they can re-let the rooms at their more exorbitant rates.

I hope the greedy grasping hotels that are cancelling existing bookings to make more money are named and shamed, and that people boycott them when the contest is finished.

I would expect the same thing to happen in London next year when the date of the coronation is announced.

It is a sad indictment of rip off Britain that businesses feel it is acceptable to treat people in this way.

prod_pep

Established Member
It is a sad indictment of rip off Britain that businesses feel it is acceptable to treat people in this way.
A disgrace but utterly predictable. There is one report of a £200 Airbnb booking being cancelled and re-listed for over £20,000, complete with the usual porky pies about "an error on the booking calendar". I couldn't give a toss about Eurovision, but this is money-grubbing nonsense by anyone's lights.

Just as it was during the pandemic-ravaged summers in virtually every British seaside resort. Make 'em pay through the nose: that'll keep 'em coming and make sure they don't just flock back to the Mediterranean as soon as the restrictions end. :rolleyes:

duncanp

Established Member
A disgrace but utterly predictable. There is one report of a £200 Airbnb booking being cancelled and re-listed for over £20,000, complete with the usual porky pies about "an error on the booking calendar". I couldn't give a toss about Eurovision, but this is money-grubbing nonsense by anyone's lights.

Just as it was during the pandemic-ravaged summers in virtually every British seaside resort. Make 'em pay through the nose: that'll keep 'em coming and make sure they don't just flock back to the Mediterranean as soon as the restrictions end. :rolleyes:

Similar shenanigans happened in Birmingham during the Commonwealth Games.

Those businesses that feel it is OK to rip people off in this way should remember that events such as Eurovision are one-off events, that will soon be over, and it will be back to normal where people have the choice about where to go and who to stay with.

Then let them see who wants to come and stay in their overpriced hotel.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Agreed, they might cancel bookings to make money on a one-off event, but will potentially loss out on future custom from those customers who get stays cancelled. Especially if that customer is a regular stayer.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I thought it was illegal, under the trade descriptions act, ? for a shop or hotel etc to sell or confirm a product or booking to a client at one price, then remove the item for sale, then resell or cancel the booking and resell at a higher price. ?

Last edited:

dosxuk

Established Member
If it's AirBnB doing it though, that's just normal people cashing in and they'll not even be aware of any restrictions like that. I've not heard of any reputable hotel chains actually cancelling existing bookings just to resell the rooms - they've all ramped their prices up, but that's supply & demand.

Remember that the organising groups will have put in block bookings for a huge number of rooms for the crew / performers / travelling delegations / etc, which will have made every automated system go crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if some hotels have cancelled existing bookings so they can hire the entire hotel out for a month to the organisers.

najaB

Veteran Member
I've not heard of any reputable hotel chains actually cancelling existing bookings just to resell the rooms - they've all ramped their prices up, but that's supply & demand.
And in any case, I don't imagine they have many bookings that far out.

Status
Not open for further replies.