• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

dazzayid

That's what I thought, they cannot say no because I never mentioned it, to be fair they never even asked a question about safety. Also they never really asked probing questions on my answers either. Until I get feedback I won't really know what happened. Would be nice to know but so far had no reply to my request.

It was for southern

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
That's what I thought, they cannot say no because I never mentioned it, to be fair they never even asked a question about safety. Also they never really asked probing questions on my answers either. Until I get feedback I won't really know what happened. Would be nice to know but so far had no reply to my request.

It was for southern

Indeed same happened for me. I think that's what makes it harder you have to lead the answers and take full control over them whereas the MMI they do more probing... You only have one chance to get your answers how they want them as they have enough applicants to choose from ... In the past it seemed incredible to get to DM interview stage now it seems loads do

Indeed at my interview nothing was even asked about the company went straight in to four comp questions then any questions I had

Last edited:

redron

At DMI one of the most important questions you will be asked is, why do you want the job?

You really need to think about it because your motivation needs to be professional and demonstrate a real understanding of the job.

If you say you wanted to drive trains since you were a child, it may be true but is not a wise answer as you are not a child anymore!

This may seem obvious but I think it's a tough question to answer in the right way.

dazzayid

Agree, now I know what they will ask I can work on the answers I think they want. But it's hard to gauge what exactly they want to know. I have written down all questions they asked so hopefully it will help me next time.

I have also heard that southeastern will need many drivers soon so I am going to apply as soon as they do.

TDK

Established Member
At DMI one of the most important questions you will be asked is, why do you want the job?

You really need to think about it because your motivation needs to be professional and demonstrate a real understanding of the job.

If you say you wanted to drive trains since you were a child, it may be true but is not a wise answer as you are not a child anymore!

This may seem obvious but I think it's a tough question to answer in the right way.

This is by far the most important question in the DM interview

Economist

Concerning the two interviews (MMI and DMI), is it acceptable to use examples from safety-critical hobbies. I do a bit of flying as a hobby and I've been put through simulated emergencies at a few hundred feet (thankfully not a real one just yet - fingers crossed) and coped fairly well.

I know a lot will come down to how my answer is positioned in relation to a question but is this sort of thing acceptable answer material? I'm fairly young compared to many applicants and don't have a huge amount of life-or-death safety-critical experience.

Saltire

Concerning the two interviews (MMI and DMI), is it acceptable to use examples from safety-critical hobbies. I do a bit of flying as a hobby and I've been put through simulated emergencies at a few hundred feet (thankfully not a real one just yet - fingers crossed) and coped fairly well.

I know a lot will come down to how my answer is positioned in relation to a question but is this sort of thing acceptable answer material? I'm fairly young compared to many applicants and don't have a huge amount of life-or-death safety-critical experience.

Absolutely!! Sounds like an ideal subject to talk about, I made a point of not basing all my answers on work scenarios. Like you mentioned, what you talk about must be relevant to the question and your answer structured, have you heard of the STAR technique structuring your answer?

Economist

Thanks Saltire, I have come across the STAR technique and it's pretty much the norm where I am now, so thankfully I do have a bit of experience using it. When it comes to interview, historically I've tended to do best at technical questions, probably because I don't "big-up" the pure competency ones enough.

Need to get through the psychometric tests first but I've got the MMI in the back of my mind since I'm aware that a lot of people find it tough since the new assessments arrived.

Hairbear75

I think it's an excellent example. I used an example of my rock climbing, and how to tie in safely. As said, use the STAR process, and really emphasise the process of all you do to ensure it is done in a safe manner.
Good luck.

TDK

Established Member

Many applicants at the DM interview do not answer the question asked, all questions are aimed to convince the interviewer that the candidate is suitable for the role of a train driver and all questions are based on this. Too many people when being interviewed do not answer the question but drool on about something completely out of context that they "think" the interviewer wants to hear or is previously told that is what to say and this is the main downfall.

edbhoy

Hi everyone first time poster however been lurking on this forum for a while. Would just like to thank everyone for the excellent posts and information posted on the forum as I have just secured a trainee driver position (an external candidate) at the first attempt. I am 24 and feel very privileged and I am fully aware that the hard work starts now ie training etc.

Good luck to anyone going through the process at the moment!

Johncleesefan

Well done edbhoy. When do u start and who with?

I start this Monday coming. So excited I cant contain it ??????

Tara100

Very well done!
I'm going through the application process right now, and have the full day assessment in ten days time.

Happy learning and driving in the future :)

Hi everyone first time poster however been lurking on this forum for a while. Would just like to thank everyone for the excellent posts and information posted on the forum as I have just secured a trainee driver position (an external candidate) at the first attempt. I am 24 and feel very privileged and I am fully aware that the hard work starts now ie training etc.

Good luck to anyone going through the process at the moment!

EazyGuy

Just wondering if the DFFT is timed, and if so what's the time pressure like? Obviously accuracy is by far the most important thing here, but are there an unlimited number of questions, do most people finish?

Economist

The DFFT is something like 20 questions in 15 minutes, I think you can pass with around 8 or 9 done so log as they are all correct based on what others on the forum have said. I don't believe it counts towards your two attempts, so in theory you could fail it as many times as you like, or if you did fail it, just apply for somewhere that doesn't do it.

Economist

I do have a couple of questions about the post-2013 process which I recently sat, any advice much would be much appreciated.

Firstly, on the day we were told that we could only ever sit the tests twice. Now from what I've read I always thought it was possible to sit them an unlimited number of times so long as each attempt was a pass. Can I please ask which is actually right since it would be possible for someone to sit twice, pass twice but not make the "enhanced pass" and miss out on a load of TOCs despite being competent to RSSB standards.

Secondly, if someone fails a test at Stage 1, I assume that they only get one go at both any Stage 1 re-sits and Stage 2. So someone who failed at Stage 1 once couldn't pass a Stage 1 re-sit, then fail a Stage 2 test and subsequently re-sit whatever they failed at Stage 2?

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Firstly, on the day we were told that we could only ever sit the tests twice. Now from what I've read I always thought it was possible to sit them an unlimited number of times so long as each attempt was a pass. Can I please ask which is actually right since it would be possible for someone to sit twice, pass twice but not make the "enhanced pass" and miss out on a load of TOCs despite being competent to RSSB standards.

You can only fail twice (until the tests change again, assuming they do a reset like they did last time round). A pass is still a pass, even if it's not high enough for the TOC you've applied to.

Economist

Thanks CyrusWuff, that helps clarify things.

Enhanced Pass for me on Stage 1, big thanks to the folks on this thread and those who posted the Group Bourdon tool, wouldn't have passed otherwise.

For those who are taking the GBT in the future, I took it fairly slow on the day, so don't rush but focus on accuracy and consistency, practice on paper and you'll be fine.

387star

On Moderation
Thanks CyrusWuff, that helps clarify things.

Enhanced Pass for me on Stage 1, big thanks to the folks on this thread and those who posted the Group Bourdon tool, wouldn't have passed otherwise.

For those who are taking the GBT in the future, I took it fairly slow on the day, so don't rush but focus on accuracy and consistency, practice on paper and you'll be fine.

Same had no problem with this test one of the easier tests
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
+1!

I found the WHOLE assessment pretty straightforward...

Same

You have it or you dont'...

That said proceed with caution as you don't want to be overwhelmed

I find if you work really quickly then get unstuck on a question (happened ln dfft) it can be tricky enough just slowing down to work out where you went wrong as you start questioning everything not to mention working at a speed which feels much slower as you correct your answer and hearing everyone else working so quickly can get to you!

Last edited:
Quick query, is a Stage 1 fail from pre Nov 2013 ( the restructuring ) wiped out or does it still leave you with only one life going forward ?

InMotion

I know how you fell m8....! The DM interview was my first in over 10 YEARS! It was going great until it came down to motivation; I completely underestimated that part by thinking "it's a bit obvious" :oops: .... Anyway, I enjoyed the whole experience and hopefully I'll bag the next one.

Well! 5 weeks down the line and I've bagged it!!! :D:D:D

Went for a DM interview for MTR last week... I got a call the following day to offer me the position for trainee driver!

Booked in for the medical now!

"If at first you don't succeed try and try again".

pdqsoftware

Hi Mike,
Can I please ask you a quick question:
I'm one of the over-50s brigade! Is there any chance that I could qualify as a trainee driver, or have I left it too late now?
Thanks
Paul

l0c0m0t1ve

Well! 5 weeks down the line and I've bagged it!!! :D:D:D

Went for a DM interview for MTR last week... I got a call the following day to offer me the position for trainee driver!

Booked in for the medical now!

"If at first you don't succeed try and try again".

Well done! That's exactly right. All the best for the medical. When is it?

busguy

Been driving for 3 years now. Must be honest it is the most boring job I know. Nine out of ten of the drivers I talk to are only in it for the money. It's dull. Monotonous.