• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

13N

315858 is in service this evening 17:39 LST - SNF but it is coupled to 315828. Might have just escaped the knell for the time being!

Hopefully around for a bit longer. Glad to see it again!
Yes it did indeed! Had it not been for the broken rail this week, 858 and 855 would have gone!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

I thought they had removed all the padding from those two units. They must have worked quick to get them back into service.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It can't have been gone for long, I have 858 paired with 828 down this morning, paired with 821 on 23rd Feb, paired with 848 on 16th Feb and paired with 833 on 30th Jan. I didn't realise they changed so often until I looked that up.

prod_pep

Established Member
315858 was also with 315839 on 1st March, so it's changed partners frequently of late!

What are the enhancements, out of interest?

iphone76

315858 was also with 315839 on 1st March, so it's changed partners frequently of late!

What are the enhancements, out of interest?

Upgrades to the windscreen wiper system, installing cab door interlock light indicators and allowing the GSM-R system to be reset without accessing a hard to reach area.

DanNCL

Established Member
I know this is slightly off topic (sorry!), but this seemed the most appropiate thread to put this request in.

Does anyone know which unit was paired with 315856 today (15th March)? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
Upgrades to the windscreen wiper system, installing cab door interlock light indicators and allowing the GSM-R system to be reset without accessing a hard to reach area.

Thanks. I take it only the 315s which are being retained for the foreseeable are being so treated?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I know this is slightly off topic (sorry!), but this seemed the most appropiate thread to put this request in.

Does anyone know which unit was paired with 315856 today (15th March)? Thanks in advance
Haven't been on 315s for a week or so, so I don't have particularly up to date info - all I can offer is that on 6th March it was paired with 315834. Don't know if it's changed subsequent to that.

Defiance149

RTT shows there was a 5Z15 14.15 Ilford-Wolverton on March 20th, which presumably was one or two 315s going off lease. Can anyone confirm the IDs if so - presumably 315855 was one?

Southern Dvr

Are they storing the 315s at Wolverton then? Or is there a refurb going on for some reason ?

Wivenswold

Established Member
Are they storing the 315s at Wolverton then? Or is there a refurb going on for some reason ?

I think the 315s are decommissioned before heading off to Wolverton so it's unlikely any of them will see further service. There was a vague plan to send them to the electrified valley lines in Wales but that project was shelved and much more modern stock will be available if goes ahead in future.

On Moderation
I think the 315s are decommissioned before heading off to Wolverton so it's unlikely any of them will see further service. There was a vague plan to send them to the electrified valley lines in Wales but that project was shelved and much more modern stock will be available if goes ahead in future.
I'm not sure why they are being stored - if I was the ROSCO I'd do what Porterbrook did with their CIGs, CEPs and VEPs: avoid the storage charges and send them straight to the scrapyard.

dp21

I imagine it's because there's nowhere to put them on the GEML. Struggling enough for space as it is with the introduction of the 345s so having a load of 315s hanging about won't help.

The mods being done to some of the units being kept longer than originally planned are being done at Ilford I understand.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Thanks gc1982 that's really useful info not only for this threat but others.

Surprised that the remaining 20 units will be on lease until December 2020 but I guess that allows sufficient cover until the additional units arrive.

prod_pep

Established Member
I seem to remember reading a TfL document suggesting some 315s might be retained on a more long-term basis for use on the remaining Liverpool Street High Level - Gidea Park peak time services beyond the opening of the Crossrail core. It was proposed to refurbish these with longitudinal seating IIRC. I wonder if the extended lease of 20 315s reflects this?

This was one of a number of potential options for stock on the peak Gidea Park runs, as if I'm not mistaken a 9 car 345 can't fit in the platforms at LST.

Thanks for the link gc1982 - of definite interest.

NSEFAN

Established Member
This was one of a number of potential options for stock on the peak Gidea Park runs, as if I'm not mistaken a 9 car 345 can't fit in the platforms at LST.
Wasn't that only applicable to platforms 16-18, being only suitable for 8 cars at 20m vehicle length, approx? Last I heard, the plan was to close 18 and extend 16/17 to accomodate a full length class 345. I suppose however an interim solution could be the use of class 315 EMUs on these peak extras as you describe.

J-2739

Established Member

What does decommissioning actually do to a unit?

The 315s at Wolverton are not decommissioned.
They are warm stored, apart from having seat cushions removed and stored off vehicle to prevent damage.
One unit has shunting damage.

Southern Dvr

I always thought warm storage meant they had a shore supply fitted and a key put on them every so often whereas cold storage was that they were just left to rot.

They are powered, tested and examined on a schedule and are warm stored. There may be trains cold stored but not these.

Bod

What is the latest with units coming out of service? I noticed 6 x 315's with their pans down last Saturday in sidings approaching Ilford? I haven't seen 315813, 827, 828 and 845 for months so wondered if these were out of service.

Established Member
813's with Arriva (London Overground), not too sure what the story with that one is but it shouldn't be withdrawn yet since the 710s are quite a way off from being introduced?

I'm pretty sure I have seen 828 several times as of late. 845 I think is in the depot for some sort of work as it apparently has been faulty (not too sure what the specifics are) quite a bit lately otherwise I have seen it sitting in the Alderbrook Carriage Sidings. It should return to service soon I think.

As for 827, that one is one I just tend to rarely see, even when we had a full compliment of 61 315s. I will be on a look out for all 4 of these units and I'll report it if I spot any.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't travel very often these days and when I do I will usually take 345s over 315s if available so my data is very limited but I have:

315827 - Last ridden 30-Aug-18
315828 - Last ridden 25-Jul-18
315845 - Last ridden 07-Sep-18

Considering I probably ride on average 1-2 units a week at most, I'd consider all three of the above to be 'active service'

I can't comment on 813 as I very rarely use the LO side.

Bod

Thanks guys for your assistance. It is a curious one as I have spent 6 days on 315's since early August and 813, 827, 828 and 845 have been invisible even in two peak periods. I didn't think there were that many hiding places particularly for 813 on the Hackney Downs side!

Status
Not open for further replies.