• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wivenswold

Established Member
Tired though they are (and not exactly the height of luxury) it's a shame nobody seems to be trying to strap a Transit engine underneath them... they'd be a vast improvement on a Merseytravel 142!
There's far better surplus trains to come. So keep that Transit engine safe for now.

bramling

Veteran Member
Its interesting that theyre going to several places to be scrapped.

I wonder if there are any yards which have the capacity to take massive influxes of stock these days. The LU stock, which has been the staple diet over the last decade and a half, has tended to come in dribs and drabs.

Booths is a reasonably large site, but not all devoted to rail vehicles.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I only had 850 once, for a grand total of 4 miles and 58 chains from Chadwell Heath to Forest Gate back in Oct 2013. I stayed in Ilford a couple of times and quite liked getting the 315s so it's sad to see them go now, the 345s don't have the same atmosphere or character but hopefully they will prove to be reliable units for the local commuters.
Liverpool St to Stamford Hill back in 2006 for was my only ride. 315850 was stored for years during the ONE era and was only reinstated at the beginning of the Abellio franchise.

Cletus

Established Member
They look like they're about to be fly-tipped in a field :lol:

Where's this location?

Last edited:

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Will miss them.They were one year old when I started at Ilford Car Sheds.Used to travel on them till over five years ago but I rarely use Liverpool Street now.

Anyone got info of class status...withdrawal list?

315801-817 LO units

315818-861 TfL Rail
Less off lease 828,32,35,40,41,45,46,50,55,58,60,61

PeterC

Established Member
As somebody who spent the first 10 years of my working life commuting on 306s seeing the "new" trains getting scrapped is making me feel very old.

colchesterken

I have always had a bit of a downer on the 315 because they replaced the 306s which I used to ride on as a kid and a young commuter
On the subject of which 306 07 is still rotting in the open at EARM, I think it is a shame that a unit owned by the NRM is being neglected

Wivenswold

Established Member
I have always had a bit of a downer on the 315 because they replaced the 306s which I used to ride on as a kid and a young commuter
On the subject of which 306 07 is still rotting in the open at EARM, I think it is a shame that a unit owned by the NRM is being neglected

Good news Ken, it left EARM on low-loaders a few weeks ago and is going for restoration work.

colchesterken

Great news, I will keep a look out for news on progress
It makes me sad to think it was the "pride of the line" in FGE days and was not maintained by NXEA and abellio given to NRM and still neglected, Maybe they should lease it out to the people doing up Gordon Petitt

Juniper Driver

Established Member
As somebody who spent the first 10 years of my working life commuting on 306s seeing the "new" trains getting scrapped is making me feel very old.

I remember 306017 being parked up on the South Side of the yard (Ilford Carriage Sidings between 1982-1984).I usually saw it in those days when I was getting a lift on a set of empties.Apart from that they were slightly before my time.Although I do remember traveling up to Harold Wood at regular intervals on the 302 slammers in about 1977.I don't remember traveling on the 306's.

Last edited:

EssexGonzo

Whilst I have no emotional attachment to the 315s, the sight of them being towed to their last resting place is sobering. I've travelled on them for maybe 15-ish years prior to their life with TFL Rail when GA and predecessors used to mix them up with journeys to Southend Vic. I used to religiously get the 0701 from Shenfield and it was always an 8-car 315.

Which got me thinking....given the amount of short-forming of GA services to Colchester/Southend Vic right now (it's very regular and often quite extreme - last night 1715 LST to Southend as an example) surely GA could use a few sets as fillers on lines that they've been used extensively on in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.