• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
There's Wimbledon and the Hampton Court Flower Show, is there any other regular events that the crush load capacity of the 707s would be really handy for?

GW43125

Established Member
There's Wimbledon and the Hampton Court Flower Show, is there any other regular events that the crush load capacity of the 707s would be really handy for?

Not sure how busy it gets when there's racing at Esher. Certainly fairly busy when there's racing at Ascot too.

GW43125

Established Member
Did you take a photo capturing this stunning turn of events? :D

It happened again this morning! Guard didn't sound too impressed when he overheard me mentioning this fact to my friend :lol:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Once they're in service would Waterloo-Bournemouth be too long a journey on one in the summer for the Air Show?

spark001uk

Established Member
Once they're in service would Waterloo-Bournemouth be too long a journey on one in the summer for the Air Show?

I would have thought so yes, especially with no toilets or first class. They usually just bolster the 444/450 services with either extra length or extra services.

GW43125

Established Member
I would have thought so yes, especially with no toilets or first class. They usually just bolster the 444/450 services with either extra length or extra services.

Very much so, not to mention their 75mph max speed would also cause an issue.

Bear in mind however that the 707s will release ~14 450s to strengthen the mainline services, so I can see these being used.

Established Member

The crush loading is needed (and justified in the first place) by the high demand in the morning and evening rush hours, any other benefits for other times of high demand are merely coincidental.

Waterloo to Bournemouth on one is a ludicrous suggestion, their crush loading won't be really handy for events where lots of families and groups are likely to be travelling, longer trains in the first place is the solution where lots of families and groups are likely to be travelling.

spark001uk

Established Member
Although a lot of the test runs have only been timed for 75. However, having said that, today's 5Q11 was timed for 75, and it left Clapham 10 late and got to Petersfield 6 early, so make of that what you will! ;)

Great fun at Petersfield this morning 2 March 5Q11 Clapham Yard to Petersfield 2 x 707 arrived platform 2 at 11:08 7 minutes early. 1P34 Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo on time platform 1 departed 11:18 5Q12 followed it at 11:21 while late running 2P23 Waterloo Portsmouth and Southsea was held on approach and arrived 13 minutes late at 11:24. Meanwhile the level crossing remained down from 11:16 until 11:24 much frustration from motorists.

GW43125

Established Member
Platform update:
Generally a very busy weekend on NR's part.
The following amendments have occurred since Thursday:

Chertsey:
  • Old F300 colour light on the up platform and F300BR immediately before the platform have been decommissioned and replaced with a lightweight LED type some 150m closer to London. A new banner, F300BR, has been commissioned at the site of the old F300.
  • I'm not yet sure if the new F301 OFF indicator on the down has been commissioned.
Virginia Water:
Much more going on here:
  • New bridge is now in operation (though lifts are not)
  • Old bridge has been removed
  • All platforms are almost completely resurfaced

Meanwhile,
  • Virginia Water P1&2 extensions look almost ready to open and the rest of 1&2 have been resurfaced
  • Chertsey extensions look like they are not far off, downside appears to have only fencing left to do, upside has no surface yet and still has some gaps
  • Egham extensions look to be slightly over half done now.

Was a surprise to see the new VW bridge open, all of us who got out the front door walked forward and had to do a double take before turning back!

Mordac

Established Member
Platform update:
Generally a very busy weekend on NR's part.
The following amendments have occurred since Thursday:

Chertsey:
  • Old F300 colour light on the up platform and F300BR immediately before the platform have been decommissioned and replaced with a lightweight LED type some 150m closer to London. A new banner, F300BR, has been commissioned at the site of the old F300.
  • I'm not yet sure if the new F301 OFF indicator on the down has been commissioned.
Virginia Water:
Much more going on here:
  • New bridge is now in operation (though lifts are not)
  • Old bridge has been removed
  • All platforms are almost completely resurfaced

Meanwhile,
  • Virginia Water P1&2 extensions look almost ready to open and the rest of 1&2 have been resurfaced
  • Chertsey extensions look like they are not far off, downside appears to have only fencing left to do, upside has no surface yet and still has some gaps
  • Egham extensions look to be slightly over half done now.

Was a surprise to see the new VW bridge open, all of us who got out the front door walked forward and had to do a double take before turning back!

Are you sure this was the right thread to post this?

pompeyfan

Established Member
I believe work has or will be undertaken shortly to allow 707s to use the up fast. Currently there is gauging concerns at the staff halt at Wimbledon.

spark001uk

Established Member
Platform update:
Generally a very busy weekend on NR's part!....

Off topic as it is, yes I visited VW this morning, was funny seeing everyone do a turnback when they saw the footbridge wasn't there anymore! Well done to the workers, there was a shed load of work still to do last Friday and I honestly didn't think they'd do it. Shame they've not got the lifts working yet tho.

I believe work has or will be undertaken shortly to allow 707s to use the up fast. Currently there is gauging concerns at the staff halt at Wimbledon.

Bit of a file on the edges it'll be good as gold! ;)

GW43125

Established Member
Are you sure this was the right thread to post this?

I thought we hadn't been discussing the extensions in here too as it's all related? If not, evidently my brain hasn't worked today and I'll have habe another look

janahan

Are they? I thought part of the point was to downrate them so that they didn't have overheating issues

I know that this is a "late" reply to your question, but seeing that there seems to be a confusion surrounding the 70mph 'downrating' (actually re-gearing), I thought I will throw my 2 pennies :D

The Junipers (458/460) had their cooling fans/system tied directly to the speed of the motor, therefore the faster the motor spun the faster the fans also spun. Since the Junipers were originally specified to run on express limited stop routes with higher average speeds, this was fine.

However, on the stopping routes, such as the Hounslow Loop / Chertsey, the slower motor speeds lead to slower fan speeds, and inadequate cooling. Hence it was decided to re-gear the traction equipment, limiting the maximum speed to 70mph, therefore the motor is able to spin faster for the same overall speeds, and therefore should result in better cooling. There may be some other advantages too, such as increased torque to give equivalent acceleration, despite the same number of motors now pulling 5 coaches, instead of 4.

The Desiros, and most other trains probably have independent cooling fans, therefore do not need the re-gearing, hence why the 707 can still have a max 100mph.

Mordac

Established Member
I thought we hadn't been discussing the extensions in here too as it's all related? If not, evidently my brain hasn't worked today and I'll have habe another look

My bad, I just don't know the area so didn't connect the two.

Class455

Established Member
When are 707 001 and 707 002 due to move to Hornsey for their AC testing? Saw quite a few units at Wimbledon depot today. I'm also pretty sure they're entering service some time this month or next month?

387star

On Moderation
When are 707 001 and 707 002 due to move to Hornsey for their AC testing? Saw quite a few units at Wimbledon depot today. I'm also pretty sure they're entering service some time this month or next month?

Hornsey? Interesting presumably not via canal tunnels but another route?

Has a picture been taken of a 700 and 707 side b yside at wimbledon ?

Maybe not possible as the depot from memory is the earlsfield side not raynes park?

Status
Not open for further replies.