• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 523 (Junctions) :: Voting

Votes: 6 12.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 12 24.0%

Votes: 17 34.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Number 9 is an excellent piece of composition in my humble opinion, and a very tidy shot to boot, so I'm voting for that one. Numbers 1 and 11 also caught my eye, so well done to whoevers' entries they are as well.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some interesting entries this week. I do wonder where the junction is in number 7 though, as far as I know the various bits of trackwork viewable at Oxford do not form a junction. Indeed the nearest junction is some way further north, to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, I've voted for number 6, as although 08 shows Crewe North Junction more, I felt 6 had more atmosphere with the Voyager and 323 coming into Crewe in it.

HST Power

Established Member
6 or 9, 6 or 9, 6 or 9......

It's 6 for me.

I really think these competitions should be run under AV! :p

Crossover

Established Member
Tricky one this week but I've made my decision :)

With 9, does anyone know why the start of the Fleetwood branch is so well kept, only becoming overgrown well after the signal box. Looking at another picture online as well, it looks like the track has been recentlyish relaid here too which must have evidently included the now unused junction.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I really think these competitions should be run under AV! :p

I think someone proposed a RUK referendum the other week :P

EltonRoad

Poulton Junction was relaid in early 2007 to the (pleasant) surprise of some, meaning that a refurbished Fleetwood branch would remain accessible from the mainline. Photos here.

HST Power

Established Member
I think someone proposed a RUK referendum the other week :P

That was me! :p

I look forward to seeing the result. I think this will be close. Just out of interest, what happens if we have a draw? Does it get left at that or does a new system come in to decide a winner?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

I look forward to seeing the result. I think this will be close. Just out of interest, what happens if we have a draw? Does it get left at that or does a new system come in to decide a winner?

Jordy decides. We had one last month I think, it maybe was the WCML comp. It is nice and close this week though...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jordy decides. We had one last month I think, it maybe was the WCML comp. It is nice and close this week though...

From the top thread in this forum:

''In the event of a draw, a member of staff who hasn't voted will choose the winning photo.''

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From the top thread in this forum:

''In the event of a draw, a member of staff who hasn't voted will choose the winning photo.''

I'm not challenging you Mojo, but Jordy said this when Comp 517 ('Oops!') was a three-way tie:

The "member of staff" being me, I never vote these days so I can place the casting vote if required for a draw.

Established Member
Number 9 is an interesting photo but is let down by leaning slightly to the left and (IMO) the top of the signalbox is too near the edge of the frame.

For me, can't decide between nos 1 and 4, tending towards the latter due to it's historic interest......

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Officially it is a staff member that hasn't voted, so could be any member of staff

What if two members of staff both want to cast a vote for each of the tied winning entries? Is there a pecking order of staff seniority? So say if Jordy hasn't voted then he gets the deciding vote. If he has already, then it goes to Mojo, then if he has too then it goes to yorkie, etc.

By the way I went for 6. It has a romantic feel to it. I just can't decide whether the 323 is a girl. :D

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What if two members of staff both want to cast a vote for each of the tied winning entries? Is there a pecking order of staff seniority? So say if Jordy hasn't voted then he gets the deciding vote. If he has already, then it goes to Mojo, then if he has too then it goes to yorkie, etc.

I would have thought that the staff on here were mature enough to decide that one shot is the overall best, and not have to have a pecking order on opinions. As I said, I think TBW, matt, yorkie, Mojo and Max are all free to vote, then Jordy does if it is tied. Or maybe they rotate so that on one week five are free to vote and one must hold back, then on the next week the one who held back can vote freely and another mustn't vote...

But I think that they are intelligent enough to accept that one shot is generally better than the other ;)

willig

Number 9 is an interesting photo but is let down by leaning slightly to the left and (IMO) the top of the signalbox is too near the edge of the frame.

Janet is absolutely right with this. This could have been a really good photo given some more thought and/or post processing. The idea is very good. I like that the photographer was not deterred by the rain. The shutter was pressed at the right moment. However the photo needs levelling a degree or two c/w rotation to correct its unlevelness. Tip: Always use verticals as a datum, e.g. the signal box walls. There is not enough to be seen above the signal box and too much track at the bottom in front of the train. There is too much of the bushes on the right and not enough at the side of the track on the left. In many cases, a simple crop would have corrected it. Better still, point the camera higher up and further to the left. The picture would also benefit from a tiny bit more sharpening.

When composing a shot, I recommend following the "Rule of thirds".

I guess I may have made myself unpopular with this post, but being new to this comp, I am just trying to help raise the standard of people's shots. Forgive me for singling put this one shot, but I'm trying to be constructive on what is fudamentally a good photo. Some of the others posted have other issues, including simple under/over exposure problems.

Jordy

Established Member
All members of staff are free to vote as they wish, I do not vote (although I could if I wanted to) to keep things easy in the case of a tie, its as simple as that ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When composing a shot, I recommend following the "Rule of thirds".

I guess I may have made myself unpopular with this post, but being new to this comp, I am just trying to help raise the standard of people's shots. Forgive me for singling put this one shot, but I'm trying to be constructive on what is fudamentally a good photo. Some of the others posted have other issues, including simple under/over exposure problems.

As very much a photographer who is at an amateur level, would you be willing to detail this 'rule of thirds'? It sounds vaguely familiar, alas I can't think how it goes. Feel free to PM me if you feel it would take the thread off-topic.

I should imagine the constructive criticism (which, after all, is something most of us who enter could use I should think) will be welcome by most entrants. As for sharpening and all that, I don't use enhancement programs at all, my photos are as they come from the camera. If they're under-exposed, then that's generally how they stay with me.

Crossover

Established Member
As very much a photographer who is at an amateur level, would you be willing to detail this 'rule of thirds'? It sounds vaguely familiar, alas I can't think how it goes. Feel free to PM me if you feel it would take the thread off-topic.

I should imagine the constructive criticism (which, after all, is something most of us who enter could use I should think) will be welcome by most entrants. As for sharpening and all that, I don't use enhancement programs at all, my photos are as they come from the camera. If they're under-exposed, then that's generally how they stay with me.

This should give a bit of info on rule of thirds :)

I'm with you Techniquest in that the only things I do are crop images usually (and sometimes not even that) and don't adjust anything else - not really all that confident with keeping something looking natural post-processing.

The constructive criticism is very much appreciated and as a result I do tend to be a little more careful when taking pictures now in trying to keep things level and other little things that can improve shots so keep it coming :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks sellis89, I'll have a look at that link in a minute. I often don't crop either (very rarely), partly because at the moment I don't have a working system of my own so wouldn't dare install something like Irfanview on my sister's laptop! I could crop on my camera, yes, but last time it came out terrible in terms of quality.

Like you, I'm not at all confident about making it look natural after editing so I leave saturation, contrast, sharpening and all that sort of thing alone. Far easier, plus it doesn't reflect accurately what I'm seeing when I'm shooting a scene in my opinion.

willig

Without proper access to post-processing it does make it more challenging for you. Rather like the days of film really.
I guess you have to put more effort into composition at the time of shooting.
Study the rule of thirds. Look carefully at other people's work. Take a test shot before your "proper " shot and adjust exposure if necessary.
I've been taking train photos for over forty years, but I didn't really start to learn much to improve my mediochre work until about five years ago.
I suggest that you take a look at http://www.railpictures.net/ It's a US site, but with contributors from all over the world. There are all types of rail photos from the most arty to pure record shots. They have to be high standard, or the screeners will not accept them for inclusion. All of the stuff is high standard, but some is absolutely stunning.
However, don't just look at the photos, read the forums. People who have photos rejected ask for advice, which is always forthcoming and very useful. I cannot commend the site enough, but don't just make a quick visit, spend time on it and go back regularly, if you take it in, it will improve your photography.
I'm pleased that constructive criticism is welcomed, believe me, it is well-meant. By the way, I'm going to vote for no.9.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.