• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2012 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a number of changes in Scotland including the Ayrshire line and a daytime Edinburgh to Glasgow via carstairs service. The shotts line is getting a Sunday service along with broughty ferry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goatboy

Established Member
Hopefully I have the right thread this time for moaning about timetable changes.

Nice to see London Midland have retimed the 16:03 GMV to BHM on a Sunday, now timed to depart at 16:37. This has two main irritating side effects:

a) Between 14:10 and 15:10 there are 3 Worcester bound trains from GMV yet between 15:10 and 16:35 there are.. none. Bizarre.

But more relevant to me..

b) The 16:03 connected with the once-every-2-hours FGW service through to Cheltenham for onward connections via XC to the Westcountry. Now it doesn't, meaning the retiming of this train has effectively increased my journey time by over an hour.

Sigh. Just.. why?

Goatboy

Established Member
One has to wonder how many timetable change threads we need though :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
Meh. Don't see a problem! The other thread has 10 pages of discussion on Trent Valley services and it'll get rather confusing if other services/lines are thrown into the mix.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Goatboy, I suggest you send a PM to London_Midland (aka David) with complaints/suggestions about LM's timetables, as he is very helpful.

It is of note that a very annoying easement applies to your journey. Namely, easement 700189 which reads: "Customers travelling from Hereford, Ledbury, Colwall, Great Malvern, Malvern Link, Worcester Foregate Street and Worcester Shrub Hill to Cheltenham Spa and beyond, may not travel via Bromsgrove. This easement applies in both directions."

Given that your only option from December, if travelling on the 16:37 departure, is to travel from Great Malvern to University and then University to Cheltenham Spa, you are stuffed, as this involves travelling through Bromsgrove (which the above easement prohibits) AND it involves doubling back between Bromsgrove and University. If you want to buy a single through ticket, you'll need to wait until the 17:05 departure, changing at Worcester Shrub Hill, not arriving in Cheltenham until 19:04 - almost two hours later than at present!! :roll:

It seems to me that these easements are introduced in haste, with absolutely no consideration for the inconvenience they can cause regular passengers. Given that Passenger Focus are supposed to 'approve' these changes, I feel they should put out all proposed changes for consultation, allowing passengers to voice their concerns before any changes are enacted.

Goatboy

Established Member
Yes, it's very frustrating. Not so much the easement as what I'll now need to do is leave GMV at 15:08 instead of 16:03 and sit at Shrub Hill for over an hour, whilst retaining the same arrival time as I have now.

I guess there is a reason for everything but I do wonder whether the knock-on effect of connections are considered when they change things. On a Sunday the FGW service to Bristol which I use runs only every 2 hours (And only from Worcester not GMV as per weekdays), which compounds the problem.

greatkingrat

Established Member
What they have done is increase the Sunday service from Hereford - Birmingham from 3 to 5 trains. Currently LM trains leave Hereford at 1530/2005/2240, this will change to 1405/1609/1809/2006/2240. So anyone going to Birmingham has a better service, although this has a knock-on effect on your connections.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
What they have done is increase the Sunday service from Hereford - Birmingham from 3 to 5 trains. Currently LM trains leave Hereford at 1530/2005/2240, this will change to 1405/1609/1809/2006/2240. So anyone going to Birmingham has a better service, although this has a knock-on effect on your connections.

And I believe Hereford gets earlier Sunday service in and out (signalbox hours being amended accordingly) - and not at DfT request either - LM I believe taking the initiative (and revenue risk)

Jeni

And I believe Hereford gets earlier Sunday service in and out (signalbox hours being amended accordingly) - and not at DfT request either - LM I believe taking the initiative (and revenue risk)

Will this mean an earlier service to Birmingham from Bromsgrove?

Eagle

Established Member
Will this mean an earlier service to Birmingham from Bromsgrove?

Doesn't look like it; still nothing before 15.10 (although there seems to be some planned engineering for a couple of weekends in January which sees Bromsgrove get 1tp2h to Birmingham starting at 09.30).

Goatboy

Established Member
Doesn't look like it; still nothing before 15.10 (although there seems to be some planned engineering for a couple of weekends in January which sees Bromsgrove get 1tp2h to Birmingham starting at 09.30).

Crikey, thats very bizarre. A town of that size with NO service before 3pm on a Sunday?!

greatkingrat

Established Member
Actually there is a new earlier way to get to Birmingham if you are desperate

1222 Bromsgrove - Droitwich Spa 1233
1330 Droitwich Spa - Birmingham Moor Street 1421 (there is also a -1 connection to the 1232 if you are very lucky)

Not valid on one ticket though.

Goatboy

Established Member
It seems very strange for a large town so close to Birmingham to have pretty much no useable rail service on a Sunday. Bit stuck if you want to go to Birmingham for the day!

It's especially odd when you consider how good the service is Mondays to Saturdays.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Somewhat mundane, but the 1702 London Liverpool Street - Norwich's Shenfield call will be a normal stop from December, as opposed to it being an inexplicable "pick-up only" stop now.
http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/L04287/2012/10/16
http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/Y11140/2012/12/10

Also, the 2200 Norwich - London Liverpool Street now calls additionally at Stratford, which it rather strangely omitted up until this point despite doing Witham, Chelmsford & Shenfield.
http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/Y11211/2012/12/20

Westerfield will only be omitted in the down direction. Up arrangements continue to apply as now as no changes are being made to Colchester PSB signalling. ES trains will have to run into the up platform on a single yellow from CO614 & the barriers will continue on timer as now whilst RETB token is given up & the train leaves the system even though this obviously will no longer happen.

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/Y11901/2012/12/18

Yepp, Southbound LWT-IPS trains do still stop at Westerfield, but it is not a publicly advertised stop so will not appear in timetables and the doors will not be unlocked.

Adam :D

Last edited:

Eagle

Established Member
Some changes to Chiltern at Stratford: currently Stratford gets 11 services to Leamington, of which 6 continue to London (and one to Oxford); come December only 8 services to Leamington, but still 6 continue to London, and they're more evenly spaced.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Somewhat mundane, but the 1702 London Liverpool Street - Norwich's Shenfield call will be a normal stop from December, as opposed to it being an inexplicable "pick-up only" stop now.

It could be to do with controlling passenger flows, a lot like MKC used to be in the evening peak heading North on Virgin - it stops it becoming flooded with Shenfield passengers yet obviously offers the chance for the much lesser number of commuters from there to travel north.

DaveHarries

Established Member
(Moved from earlier in thread)

The 1050 Manchester - Bangor and 1331 Bangor - Manchester will also run on a Saturday from December.
http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/schedule?runs_on=Saturday+15th+December+2012&train_uid=P40849
http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/schedule?runs_on=Saturday+15th+December+2012&train_uid=P41002
Adam :D
Are those the only trains affected? I ask because I use a lot of ATW's routes in South Wales, namely on the Valley Lines, when at work.

Dave

Veteran Member
I think the original comment refers to the changes made in September Mon-Fri?

anthony263

Established Member
Are those the only trains affected? I ask because I use a lot of ATW's routes in South Wales, namely on the Valley Lines, when at work.

Dave

Thats what I was wondering since I regulary use the swanline services from Pyle so I would like to see what ATW have planned if they have anything at all.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Thats what I was wondering since I regulary use the swanline services from Pyle so I would like to see what ATW have planned if they have anything at all.

Again ATW unlike other tocs have not sent out a draft timetable, I have asked my A.M. Mark Isherwood to ask why yet again , The letter is of course appertaining to the Chester/Wrexham/Shrewsbury line,where change will occur. The letter is below, to head of ATW customer services.

Dear Tim,

I have been contacted by a constituent who is concerned that Arriva Trains Wales has not put out a draft for consultation regarding their winter timetable.

They would therefore like to know what the situation will be on the forthcoming Public Holidays, the first of these on New Years Day 2013.

My constituent states that they have already lost two services on Bank Holidays without consultation, the 2049 Wrexham to Shrewsbury and the 0610 Shrewsbury to Wrexham and ask what Arriva Trains Wales proposes to replace the 0732 Express to Cardiff which does not run on Bank Holidays.

They tell me that they would also like to know why Arriva Trains Wales has chosen to refrain from consulting stakeholders. They claim that many other TOCs have already publicly put out draft timetables for comment, including Northern at Chester and Merseyrail.

My constituent stresses that, Wrexham, is Arriva Trains Wales’ busiest station in North Wales. Their major concern is that when Arriva Trains Wales put the autumn timetable on the web in error last July it showed six Bank Holiday cancellations. My constituent fears that these may be carried over to the new timetable from December.

I would therefore be grateful if you could give this your attention, address the points raised and copy me on your response.

Yours sincerely

Mark

dk1

Veteran Member
Virgin Trains have today announced that SX the 10.30, 12.30 & 14.30 Lancaster terminators will all be extended through to Glasgow. This will mean following the 05.39 an hourly service will operate from 07.30-19.30 with the off pattern 16.57. It does appear though that the 17.57 will terminate Preston.

A similar hourly service operated 04.28-18.40 Southbound. An hourly service already operates at weekends.

The 17.57 (1C94) runs to Lancaster - cut back from Glasgow. 1M18 departs at 17.30 off Glasgow. The 13.39 & 15.39 Lancaster - Euston no longer run (the 11.40 & 13.40 off Glasgow run in their paths).

Fred26

Confirmed FCC Changes:

December 2012 timetable changes

Issued Monday, 22 October 2012

Great Northern Route

This December sees the completion of FCC’s More Seats For You campaign which commenced in May 2009

and has sought to address the considerable overcrowding that was being experienced on the Great Northern

route.

Weekdays

Peterborough route

This last stage of the scheme will deliver 12-carriage platforms at Sandy, Biggleswade, Arlesey and Finsbury

Park platforms 3 and 5.

As a result, the 06:32, and 07:32 services from Peterborough will now become 12-carriage trains. These

services also call at Finsbury Park. Also, the current 06:17 service from Peterborough will depart earlier at

06:15, and will call additionally at Biggleswade at 06:47.

However, the 06:40 service from Huntingdon will be withdrawn, as the carriages of this train are required for

the additional 12-carriage trains.

The first off-peak service of the day from Peterborough to London (the 0916 calling at Huntingdon, St Neots,

Biggleswade and Stevenage) will be lengthened from 8 to 12 carriages.

In the evenings, the 17:10 service from London King’s Cross will be reduced from 12 to 8 carriages. As a

result, the 17:44 and 18:14 services from London King’s Cross will now become 12-carriage trains. These

services also call at Finsbury Park.

In addition the 20:57 departure from Peterborough will depart earlier at 20:42, and an additional service will

depart Peterborough at 21:46 calling at all stations to Stevenage, then Finsbury Park and London King Cross.

The 22:30 departure from Peterborough will depart earlier at 22:27.

Cambridge/King’s Lynn route

The first off-peak service of the day from Cambridge to London (the 09:20 calling at Royston and Letchworth

Garden City) will be lengthened from 8 to 12 carriages.

The 08:15 London King’s Cross to Cambridge service is extended to Ely. This service will be a 12-carriage

train between London and Cambridge. The present 10:30 Cambridge to London King’s Cross service will now

start from Ely at 10:11. Both these services will call at Waterbeach.

The 14:45 London King’s Cross to King’s Lynn service will be an 8-carriage train between London and

Cambridge and the 16:14 London King’s Cross to Cambridge service will also be an 8-carriage train.

The popular 17:15 Cambridge to London King’s Cross service will become a 12-carriage train.

There will be additional non-stop services from Cambridge to London King’s Cross departing Cambridge at

20:15 and 21:15, extending the half-hourly frequency of fast trains from Cambridge to London up to 21:45.

There will be an additional fast service from London King’s Cross to Cambridge, departing at 22:45 and calling

at Letchworth Garden City and Royston.

The 22:53 London King’s Cross to Cambridge service will call additionally at Meldreth, Foxton and Shepreth.

Page 2 of 3

Discussions with our industry partner, Network Rail, have allowed FCC to extend the 23:15 London King’s

Cross to Ely service through to King’s Lynn on Thursdays as well as Fridays.

Other routes

The 01:06 London King’s Cross to Letchworth Garden City via Hertford North service, will be extended

through to Royston, calling at Baldock and Ashwell & Morden.

Saturdays

An additional fast service will depart Cambridge at 07:15, calling at London King’s Cross only.

The 11:45 London King’s Cross to King’s Lynn is lengthened to 8 carriages as far as Cambridge and the

11:56 King’s Lynn to London King’s Cross is lengthened to 8 carriages between Cambridge and London.

The 18:53 London King’s Cross to Cambridge and 20:15 Cambridge to London King’s Cross services will also

be 8-carriage trains.

The 20:45 London King’s Cross to King’s Lynn service will call additionally at Letchworth Garden City.

Sundays

Due to a major programme of engineering works, Sunday services on the Great Northern route will be subject

to significant alterations, amended departure times and replacement bus services week by week.

Customers are advised to check details of their journeys before travelling by visiting

www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/plan-your-journey/planned-timetables-changes or

www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions, or calling National Rail enquiries on 08457 48 49 50.

The following changes have been made to timetabled services:

The 06:46 Peterborough to London King’s Cross service will no longer call at Knebworth, Welwyn North,

Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and Potters Bar. These stations will be served by an additional service from

Cambridge, departing at 06:55 and calling at all stations from Cambridge to Hatfield, then Potters Bar,

Finsbury Park and London King’s Cross.

Due to engineering access requirements, the 06:53 London King’s Cross to Cambridge service will depart

earlier at 06:38.

Also, the 07:23 London King’s Cross to Peterborough service will be combined with the 07:06 London King’s

Cross to Cambridge service. The combined service will depart London King’s Cross at 07:06, calling at

Finsbury Park, Potters Bar, Hatfield and all stations to Stevenage where the train will divide into the separate

Cambridge and Peterborough portions.

The 11:53 London King’s Cross to Cambridge and 13:28 Cambridge to London King’s Cross services will

become 8-carriage trains from 4 carriages.

The 14:15 London King’s Cross to King’s Lynn and 19:28 King’s Lynn to London King’s Cross services will be

8-carriage trains between London and Cambridge and return.

The 20:53 London King’s Cross to Cambridge service will also be an 8-carriage train.

The 23:26 London King’s Cross to Stevenage via Hertford North is extended to Letchworth Garden City, also

calling at Hitchin and the 23:41 London King’s Cross to Letchworth Garden City via Welwyn Garden City will

now terminate at Welwyn Garden City.

The 00:07 (Monday) London King’s Cross to Cambridge via Hertford North is retimed to depart at 00:04 and

diverted via Welwyn Garden City. This service will call at Finsbury Park, Potters Bar, Hatfield and all stations

to Cambridge via Welwyn Garden City.

Page 3 of 3

An additional service will depart London King’s Cross at 00:07 (Monday), calling at all stations to Letchworth

Garden City via Hertford North.

Thameslink Route

Weekdays

The 07:33 Bedford to Sutton service will be diverted to Brighton, calling at London Blackfriars, East Croydon,

Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath and Brighton.

The 07:44 Bedford to Elephant & Castle service is extended to Sutton via Wimbledon, calling at London

Blackfriars, Herne Hill and all stations to Sutton via Wimbledon. This service will no longer call at Elephant &

Castle.

The 17:40 London St. Pancras International to Three Bridges service will start from Bedford at 16:40 and call

additionally at Flitwick, Luton, Luton Airport Parkway, Harpenden and St. Albans.

Saturdays

The 19:07, 19:37, 20:07 and 20:37 Brighton to Bedford services will call additionally at West Hampstead

Thameslink, and the 17:54, 18:24 and 18:54 Bedford to Brighton services will also call additionally at West Hampstead Thameslink.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Again ATW unlike other tocs have not sent out a draft timetable, I have asked my A.M. Mark Isherwood to ask why yet again , The letter is of course appertaining to the Chester/Wrexham/Shrewsbury line,where change will occur. The letter is below, to head of ATW customer services.

Dear Tim,

I have been contacted by a constituent who is concerned that Arriva Trains Wales has not put out a draft for consultation regarding their winter timetable.

They would therefore like to know what the situation will be on the forthcoming Public Holidays, the first of these on New Years Day 2013.

My constituent states that they have already lost two services on Bank Holidays without consultation, the 2049 Wrexham to Shrewsbury and the 0610 Shrewsbury to Wrexham and ask what Arriva Trains Wales proposes to replace the 0732 Express to Cardiff which does not run on Bank Holidays.

They tell me that they would also like to know why Arriva Trains Wales has chosen to refrain from consulting stakeholders. They claim that many other TOCs have already publicly put out draft timetables for comment, including Northern at Chester and Merseyrail.

My constituent stresses that, Wrexham, is Arriva Trains Wales’ busiest station in North Wales. Their major concern is that when Arriva Trains Wales put the autumn timetable on the web in error last July it showed six Bank Holiday cancellations. My constituent fears that these may be carried over to the new timetable from December.

I would therefore be grateful if you could give this your attention, address the points raised and copy me on your response.

Yours sincerely

Mark
Nothing revealed in Journey Planner up until now re Bank Holiday Shrewsbury/Wrexhams for New Years Day.

Southern

Thanks for the update Fred26! Forgive my ignorance but is this the first time FCC have had a booked service dividing at Stevenage?

Fred26

Permanantly? Perhaps. There have been engineering work splitters before.

Status
Not open for further replies.