• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers kit bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I went digital a long while back and asked if it was ok to keep a Won and Pon in digital rather than grab the publications each week. I was told then that it was more than acceptable. Even the RSSB are supporting a move to digital.

In my bag :

Keys
EP x2
Br1 x3
T x2
Locker Key
376 Guards key

Equipment :

Lamp
Swiss Army knife
Door out of use labels
Bio Bag
Whistle
License
Employee ID card
Photo ID card
Travel pass
Sunglasses (company issue)

Digital Publications :
Rule book/Won/Pon
Traction manual(s)
Driving policy
DOO policy

Via Email :

Delay reports
Fault reporting

Physical Publications :
DRI
Employee handbook

Misc :
Company phone
Company Tablet
Personal Phone
Old schedules (for delay reporting etc.)
Dotel (defect manual)
Fault finding guide
Route notes (GSMR, PIS, Signal numbers etc)
Aid memoires
Union membership Card

Clothing :
HVV x2
Waterproof Trousers
Hat, Scarf, Gloves

Driver essentials :

Toilet roll
Tissues
Cup (company issue)
Water bottle (company issue)
Spoon
Fork
Knife
Tea bags
Coffee
Sugar
Hand Gel
Pens (red/Black/Blue)
Spare pens
kindle
Diary
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Lunch/Dinner/Snacks

Not forgetting the bag itself is company issue :)

Probably other little items I've forgotten.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
But Dave, it's not a case that I don't understand what I must be carrying with me, I even stated right after what my company instruction was. I came here to see what others carry (other tocs/different regions etc etc etc) and my company instruction states all publications but not where they need to be

Well if you know what your company instructions are then as a trainee driver you know exactly what you should have to with at all times. It shouldn't matter what anyone else says to you in the mess room. You have in you bag everything that you are required to by you company instructions plus any other bits you want to carry with you end of. It shouldn't matter to you what others carry around at the moment as long as you have everything your DM wants you to have in there. From you original question it seemed that you didn't know exactly what you had to carry around with you and sign on with.

Anyway, you will have a lot more to think about over the course of your hours than just whats in your bag, so I will leave it there.

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

You're still not getting the point of this are you......sigh....

I do have a lot to learn right now and questions like my original are things i can fire into the forum, out of interest questions perhaps. Real questions that are important I am studying. Only wanted a little light hearted convo with some fellow railwaymen geez

MartinG

You're still not getting the point of this are you...... sigh....

I do have a lot to learn right now and questions like my original are things i can fire into the forum, out of interest questions perhaps. Real questions that are important I am studying. Only wanted a little light hearted convo with some fellow railwaymen geez

You've had some great advice?....

Dave1987

On Moderation
You're still not getting the point of this are you...... sigh....

you said in your original question that you didn't know what you should have on you and were getting conflicting answers from people and wanted clarification on what kit you needed. Forgive me I didn't see that as a light hearted chat thread about all the rubbish we all cart around in our bags from day to day. I carry a lot of stuff around in my bag because my DM wants me to have a few extra bits over and above what is required by the rule book and company policy. Maybe we can change the tune of this thread to discussing the rubbish we all cart around then eh?

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
You might not have said it in those words, but the content of your first post indicated (at least to some) that you were not totally sure.

Johncleesefan

Yes lets, i think we put that one to bed. gonna think more wisely in my choice words in future

Question from a non-driver, outsider:

Regarding some of the bag contents, specifically recreational ones, such as Kindle, newspaper, etc, when does a driver get to use these? Would a driver ever, for example, take his/her break in the cab whilst the train was at a terminus? Or would it be expected that he took it in the station canteen?

Would tea and coffee only be made in the canteen too? The assumption given you carry a flask and tea making kit with you is that you do this "on the fly" in the cab of the train, but as above, when would you have chance? Do cabs have a cup holder? Or do the station canteens not have (drinkable) tea and coffee?

Also, regarding a pee bottle, (for passenger tocs) would it be expected that a driver uses the toilet on the train during station stops? Or is this not allowed / to be avoided?

MartinG

It was a great question -shame some took it the wrong way. I think you can sift through the replies?

Dave1987

On Moderation

Regarding some of the bag contents, specifically recreational ones, such as Kindle, newspaper, etc, when does a driver get to use these? Would a driver ever, for example, take his/her break in the cab whilst the train was at a terminus? Or would it be expected that he took it in the station canteen?

Would tea and coffee only be made in the canteen too? The assumption given you carry a flask and tea making kit with you is that you do this "on the fly" in the cab of the train, but as above, when would you have chance? Do cabs have a cup holder? Or do the station canteens not have (drinkable) tea and coffee?

Also, regarding a pee bottle, (for passenger tocs) would it be expected that a driver uses the toilet on the train during station stops? Or is this not allowed / to be avoided?

Every driver is entitled to a "PNB" or Personal needs Break if your diagram is over a certain length of time. This PNB must be at an authorised PNB point which has been agreed with the union and have the appropriate facilities available (toilet, kettle, microwave, seating, etc) and these are located at various stations or depots. You are given time to walk to and from the PNB point as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was a great question -shame some took it the wrong way. I think you can sift through the replies?

:roll: sorry I apologise for misinterpretation of the OP

TDK

Established Member
But Dave, it's not a case that I don't understand what I must be carrying with me, I even stated right after what my company instruction was. I came here to see what others carry (other tocs/different regions etc etc etc) and my company instruction states all publications but not where they need to be

That's fair enough Johncleesefan but you question did say "what MUST a driver carry with then" and not what do you carry with you, subtle difference yes but the power of the word is and interpretation of a question is as it is :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Right - to answer this one :)

PNB's can last anything from 20 minutes to 2 hours and this is when you would read your kindle, watch a film on your tablet or play games on your phone or just banter with others or watch TV. Some times we do what is called "PASS" this is when you travel as a passenger to a different location to work a train and you can read the paper etc. when doing this. Oh yes to add sometimes you are spare and this entails sitting about for 6 hours plus in the mess room.

The traction I drive dumps the toilet waste onto the track and to be fair I have never used the Pee bottle but it is there just in case so the use of the toilet in stations is not a good idea.

When I get to my destination I sometimes have 20 minutes turn round where there isn't a place or facilities and this is why I carry a flask and brew up a coffee.

Cabs do have a desk and some have cup holders

I never brew up if I am driving a train as this is a bit difficult and to be fair not easy to do and a distraction.

You do not have official breaks on the train you have then at a designated PNB point that has to have the facilities set out by management and the unions.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
You do not have official breaks on the train you have then at a designated PNB point that has to have the facilities set out by management and the unions.

We have TC/PC breaks where turnaround is 20 mins inclusive of TC, walking, and then PC the cab again. They used to be called "cab environment breaks"

We also have long periods of driving and might not be able to get a break for 5hrs and sometimes more. So having a cuppa on the go is relaxing and refreshing. Personally I'd don't carry a flask but many Drivers do and are almost never seen without their mag in hand.

Tea and coffee etc is not provided on our TOC so having your own is cheaper that's for sure. Commuters are at the mercy of station outlets and the exorbitant prices.

You kinda have to remember that whilst I'm driving I am 100% professional but other times I am simply an employee like anybody else that goes to work. I like to read so I have a kindle.

The pee bottle thing can be because you can be on a 2hr trip with no access to a toilet and some Drivers prefer no to stop the train, call the Signaler, Make announcement, TC the cab, go back, pee, set up cab, call Signaler. Also we have a unit that doesn't have a toilet and you can be on it for extended periods. Or being stuck on a signal due to disruption etc.

Other than that. TDK hit the nail on the head.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
One question I have. I note ComUtoR has gone digital.

What happens if the digital device (I assume a tablet of some kind) fails? or do you carry two digital devices? I would assume if the digital device stopped working and you no longer had copies of those documents available to you (especially the rule book), you're in breach of the regulations.

Those with books don't have this problem as dead trees don't need power or logic to work.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member

What happens if the digital device (I assume a tablet of some kind) fails? or do you carry two digital devices? I would assume if the digital device stopped working and you no longer had copies of those documents available to you (especially the rule book), you're in breach of the regulations.

Those with books don't have this problem as dead trees don't need power or logic to work.

Drivers do no have to carry the rule book with them as they know the rules as they stand and are assessed on them. They do need to carry the WON & PON but to be fair the only reference in these publications that is needed when driving are the SB telephone numbers and I have all of these as a hard copy and on my personal mobile if needed. The Traction manual needs to be carried but once again I carry lists of faults laminated in my bag as a back up. Logic is what it is about and a summarised hard copy of the important stuff is being logical.

So to answer the question if you do not have the rule book with you there are no regulations being breached.

455driver

Veteran Member
I carry a few modules with me, TW5 is one, that one seems to be rewritten every 5 minutes

ComUtoR

Established Member

The railway is slowly going digital. The Won/Pon have been email subscriptions for a few years and the rule book has been digital for some time. I spoke with someone from the RSSB about the new format and its because TOC's are issuing tablets more and more and it saves costs and the insane paper mountain the railway must generate.

As TDK highlights. It's all in my head and nothing digital is a "need to have". Its for ease of use and accessibility. As 455 points out. Some modules are rewritten quite frequently and the rules do change. Sometimes you may not encounter a situation for years so being able to access the obscure rules and those used less often is a godsend of the digital age.

With reports being done by email having a tablet to do this makes life easier and more efficient for both me and my TOC.

the sniper

Established Member
I still pull out the signal box numbers pages from the PON as it's quite handy to have them accessible. I put them in the back of my (Guards) journal.

All the boxes are in the GSM-R phone book 2 though, so it's not as important anymore.

GB

Established Member
We (GBRf) have been using iPads for a few years now. Everything is updated automatically on them as we have an app that connects to a central server that contains everything from rosters to loco prep reports.

The 66's have been fitted with a cradle and power supply so drivers can use the Timetable Advisory System to log the journey.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Some good items to carry mentioned, don't think I've seen temple stick mentioned?

dk1

Veteran Member
I've become very lapse & have carried less & less over the years. Got worse when we where given the chance to have rucksacks. Can't be doing with all that cr*p on my back. Best change has been the change from bardic lamps. God they where a heavy pain.

Bullybully18

My problem is finding a bag that is suitable to carry everything required in. I think I have been through at least 3, as they end up either to small of just not strong enough. What make/type of bag does everyone else use?

Last edited:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
My company issued ones aren't much good if I'm honest. I have a swissgear bag which has done quite well.

My problem is finding a bag that is suitable to carry everything required in. I think I have been through at least 3, as they end up either to small of just not strong enough. What make/type of bag does everyone else use?

Swissgear seem quite popular at my Depot. Personally I use a Stanley Fat Max(!). Got it from B&Q. Sturdy, hard shell base so waterproof in a leaky 315 cab, spacious.

Status
Not open for further replies.