• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT - Local Fleet Refreshes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just noted 153319 working at Lincoln. Interior has been retrimmed in a similar style to the 158s, and the interior appears to be out-shopped in similar colours (blue panels with orange rails etc). Seating is the Richmond style, fitted when the unit was with Northern Spirit / Arriva Trains Northern.

Sadly, I wasn't able to take pictures as I was in a hurry - but pleased to see the first refurbished unit out in service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
Unfortunately the two units with Richmond seating are keeping it :( I did the maths once, and there wasn't quite enough Chapman seating from the Alphaline 158s to allow all the 153s to be redone.

Jordy

Established Member
Good! The Chapman seating from the 158s is awful.

I look forward to seeing it soon. Any idea what service it was working?

EDIT: Further to my post, I estimated it might be on the 1110 Peterborough - meaning it would form the 1603 from Grimsby Town, I went to investigate and it did indeed work that service.

Photos up at http://jordy.fotopic.net/c1898625.html

WillPS

Established Member
Cheers for the shots Jordy!

I think it's like horses for courses really - I absolutely can't stand Richmond seating and absolutely adore all forms of Chapman seating.

The Chapman seating from the Alphaline units will be put to use in the 153s which don't have Richmond seating - most currently have the seating from Central Trains' 158s which is completely inappropriate!

387star

On Moderation
Did those seats ever have flip down tables included?

Was expecting a bit more.. dosen't really blow me away and the lighting is old. Appears money has gone on CCTV. Why is EMT moquette different to SWT? Is this the new corporate image?

Jordy

Established Member
There used to be flip tables, annoying they have now gone :roll:

I don't mind Chapman seating in principle - but on the 158s the leg room was awful! Still, its better than the ex 158 seats in some of the 153s...

WillPS

Established Member
Did those seats ever have flip down tables included?

Was expecting a bit more.. dosen't really blow me away and the lighting is old. Appears money has gone on CCTV. Why is EMT moquette different to SWT? Is this the new corporate image?
It's only a bit different, definitely along the same line of thinking.

Any word on the lighting?

Jordy

Established Member
Doesn't seem much different, probably a bit brighter but not blinding like some refurbs!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Not the best refurbishment I've ever seen, especially when compared to the 158s - but I think it does improve the look of the interior, which the 153s and 156s have been crying out for, for ages.

Jordy

Established Member
Well the pull down tables on the seat backs appear to be if this one is anything to go by, the proper tables with four seats around them are not being removed.

WillPS

Established Member
There was one ex-Northern unit which didn't have flip-down tables AFAIK - I remember there not being any when I was on it in April

deltic1989

Established Member
regarding the tables, i was on a Lincoln Central-Leicster service going to nottingham a few weeks ago formed of 2 153's also lacking pull down tables. I asked the Guard why this was when he came to check my ticket and he replied that the company had decided to remove them as they kept being vadalised and in some cases ripped off by rowdy passenger's.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I can't say that I'll miss the fold-down tables. I've tried to use them on a number of occasions, and generally find them to be dirty - either with chewing gum, banana skins, spilt coffee etc.

WillPS

Established Member
I can't say that I'll miss the fold-down tables. I've tried to use them on a number of occasions, and generally find them to be dirty - either with chewing gum, banana skins, spilt coffee etc.

True - does this change in policy mean they can't offer hot drinks from the trolley any more? I know Stockport - Nottingham is mostly 158s now but 156s and 153s occasionally make the journey - and there's also a trolley on some Derby - Crewe services I've noticed.

Jordy

Established Member
I think the problem is the unsteady nature of the tables on the seating used on most of the EMT 153s, the type of table used on the refurbed 158s seems to be stable and I haven't seen any missing yet, but the ones on the 153s have a habit of being very unsteady.

387star

On Moderation
I reckon 156s will retain the tables as these are used on longer journeys

lm321412

and there's also a trolley on some Derby - Crewe services I've noticed.

Thats interesting, its quite a short journey with many stops and I bet its quite interesting considering how bumpy and narrow the 153s can be!

Also cannot wait till the first 156 is refurbished. The ones at the moment are trashed internally. I mean they was worn out at central trains, let alone EMT!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'll agree on flip down tables, some of the stuff found on Northern 153, 156 & 158s are nasty, usually chewing gum, spilt coffee/teas, napkins/tissues etc, and some stuff I wouldn't want to put my hand in. The people who mess them up in the first pl;ace will be the first to complain about their removal though. Sad but true.

387star

On Moderation
Let's hope it is to the same standard as ex NWT 156s Northern is currently refurbishing. They really are a treat and yet not much has been said about them. I am ofc talking about the recent full refurbishment, not the initial minor painting and changing of seat upholstery.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I reckon 156s will retain the tables as these are used on longer journeys

Not so sure about that, a 156 is really used on the same journeys as the 153. Yes they can cover for a 158 but this should be gettng more rare now. Nottingham - Skegness is a long way on a 153 (yes the still appear but not very ofter solo) I guess not many stations sell drinks on route, but I agree a backwards step. The 153s have a low portion of seats around a table.

Jordy

Established Member
It left Neville Hill on Friday apparently, it may not be in service yet but I wouldn't imagine it'll be long.

Benno

I'm afraid, if i remember rightly, that the spec is to remove all flip down tables.

The flip down tables will be retained in the class 156 refresh but will be removed from the class 153's
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It left Neville Hill on Friday apparently, it may not be in service yet but I wouldn't imagine it'll be long.

Should be out and about tomorrow

Jordy

Established Member
It failed before entering service today apparently! Should be out tomorrow if its fixed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The flip down tables will be retained in the class 156 refresh but will be removed from the class 153's
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Should be out and about tomorrow

Still a step backwards IMO. As someone who uses 153's regularly (albeit not in the EMT area) what possible justification can they have for removing such a feature?

I have a 40 minnute commute home on a 142 and since I often buy a cup of tea at the station a flip down table would be much appreciated - whether a buffet trolley was ever likely to appear or not (which is most unlikely as there hasn't been one for the four years I've been using the route!). And to think there are companies actively removing them ! Numbskulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.