• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamcan81

Why should I move away from the area where I was born when I don’t want to? As for EU migrants being skilled, I guess if you regard serving food in a cafe, fruit-picking or washing cars as skilled...

And is there something unworthy about cafe workers etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrafficEng

Yet, those "superior" Brits still aren't capable of pouring a coffee or picking a strawberry.

I don't think it is a question of capability, more one of comparative expectations of wages.

UK minimum wages for picking strawberries is very attractive if your home-country wages are a fraction of that amount.

If you are used to UK costs, have an ambition to save up to buy a property, have student debt to pay off - any of those are likely to make you view minimum wages as highly unattractive.

Aictos

Established Member
A lot of EU migrants are very highly qualified, many have degrees and can speak multiple languages, how does that compare to most Brits?

Yet, those "superior" Brits still aren't capable of pouring a coffee or picking a strawberry.

So what exactly is your point here?

Precisely, compared to a lot of EU migrants who are fluent in more then one language I for one can only wish I was as skilled in multiple languages as they are.

bramling

Veteran Member
A lot of EU migrants are very highly qualified, many have degrees and can speak multiple languages, how does that compare to most Brits?

So what exactly is your point here?

I was providing a counter point of view to the idea expressed by another poster that seemingly all EU citizens are hardworking and skilled. This simply isn't the case, or else we wouldn't read so much here and elsewhere about how Britain so badly needs low-skilled workers to do the jobs British people (allegedly) don't want to do. That argument can't run both ways.

bramling

Veteran Member
The problem is that in relation to keeping us in the EU the time for that discussion and the financial investment needed was a decade or more ago.

Gordon Brown should have been addressing it when he had the chance. Instead he chose to call a lifelong Labour supporter a "bigoted woman".

In a few seconds we will see the consequences of those mistakes.

Excellent post. Sums things up rather well IMO.

bramling

Veteran Member
Someone set off 2 rather limp sounding fireworks here.

Surprisingly many fireworks here, I say surprisingly as this is a slightly remain area, as well as a few garden parties.

From what I hear there was barely a firework to be seen in London, which is perhaps to be expected.

Whilst part of me sees it as a celebration, another part of me sees this as a damage repair exercise - correcting something which with the great benefit of hindsight IMV we should never have done in the first place. The display on the front of 10 Downing Street is rather impressive I have to say.

Doppelganger

This simply isn't the case, or else we wouldn't read so much here and elsewhere about how Britain so badly needs low-skilled workers to do the jobs British people (allegedly) don't want to do. That argument can't run both ways.

The job might be low skilled, the person filling that position less so.

Furthermore, are all those non-Brit NHS nurses and Doctors unskilled?

There is going to be a gaping whole across many industries throughout the UK and do you really believe that those vacancies will be filled by natives? The job will either require a qualification, in which case the UK has ensured higher education is the preserve of the upper echelons of society by pricing out everyone else, or it is so low skilled and so low paid no-one wants to do it.

Last edited:

hooverboy

On Moderation
To a degree - see the first comment above. But I'd still question the need for endless growth. We might have a climate disaster on our hands, caused in part by our insatiable appetites for more, more, more.

When does someone say "Enough"?

well if we do have a climate disater on our hands then it will be necessary in due course to have some extremely restrictive immigration policies won't it?

do you say:
1) let population decline naturally,restiction to core immigration only,take the economic hit ,and plan for evacuations of high risk areas
2) let's have open house, nice short term economic bump, followed by climate" event" and then mass death+cannibalism due to cut off of available agriculture areas and usable port facilities, and all those extra mouths to feed.

the government would have a duty of care to relocate sections of the population away from flood zones( most of east anglia), and to ensure there is still sufficient food production (now missing from east anglia).

hooverboy

On Moderation
Precisely, compared to a lot of EU migrants who are fluent in more then one language I for one can only wish I was as skilled in multiple languages as they are.
it's easy if your secondary language is english,all across the continent. You also learn it from a much younger age than 11, and for more hours per school week.
(english is the primary lingua franca of international commerce as well, so it's a worldwide thing rather than just at european level)

in comparison the english have to learn(typically) french,spanish or german, from 11 years on, for perhaps 2 hours a week.

not really a level playing field.

hooverboy

On Moderation
The job might be low skilled, the person filling that position less so.

Furthermore, are all those non-Brit NHS nurses and Doctors unskilled?

There is going to be a gaping whole across many industries throughout the UK and do you really believe that those vacancies will be filled by natives? The job will either require a qualification, in which case the UK has ensured higher education is the preserve of the upper echelons of society by pricing out everyone else, or it is so low skilled and so low paid no-one wants to do it.
I'd agree that the education system needs to address this problem in a big way,right now.

Some sort of tiered system tuition fee discount for STEM courses, or a bursary scheme needs to be put in place immediately.
The other factor that needs addressing though is the medical "agency" scam.It costs a fortune.There needs to be some kind of exclusive employment retention clause brought in for NHS(Public sector).

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Brilliant sign captured on Twitter:

"This is like when Geri Halliwell overestimated her ability as a solo artist and left the Spice Girls"

furnessvale

Established Member
Wow huh? What an impressive list, all is well..... Oh, and these aren't actually deals per say, just rollovers until new & final deals are agreed.
That is exactly what I thought all those months ago when remainers were telling me how many impressive EU trade deals we would be leaving behind.

Aictos

Established Member
it's easy if your secondary language is english,all across the continent. You also learn it from a much younger age than 11, and for more hours per school week.
(english is the primary lingua franca of international commerce as well, so it's a worldwide thing rather than just at european level)

in comparison the english have to learn(typically) french,spanish or german, from 11 years on, for perhaps 2 hours a week.

not really a level playing field.

Indeed which is why the UK should have years ago started educating generations in other languages at a much more younger age and for longer hours in the week.

Languages such as French, German, Spanish etc

The only issue is as you pointed out that it’s only offered for a odd hour or two a week and only from the age of 11 as well as funding for it to be available.

I know when I first went into the 6th Form, the school actually was willing to offer Italian and had the resources to do it, the only issue was there was only two students including myself willing to put in the time to want to study the language so it was cancelled.

Aictos

Established Member
Also with travelling to Europe, would we be expected to apply for visas?

Howardh

Established Member
From 2021
For stays of no more than 90 days in 180, you will require an on-line ETIAS visa-waiver, currently around £7 and valid for 3 years. To obtain that you would have to indicate your fist port of call, declare serious convictions within the last 10 years (20 for terrorism), you may have to declare serious medical conditions, prove you have medical insurance and also at point of entry prove you have sufficient funds and have a return ticket.

There is still time for the UK and EU to come to an agreement to return to passport-only entry, but the UK seems to want to make entry as difficult as possible for EU citizens by requiring full passports (as opposed to ID cards) and our own electronic entry system.
Although, of course, and EU's not wanting to go through all that can enter Ireland (Rep) on just their ID card and wander into the UK unchallenged.
Priti Patel hasn't quite got her head round that one.

Doppelganger

Hopefully. I think EU countries have had enough of the Brits, here is what a Polish cartoonist has produced on Brexit. Translation is zone free from Great Britain:
FB_IMG_1580565663553.jpg

furnessvale

Established Member
You mean the impressive EU deals we are leaving behind, such as the free trade deal with 500 million consumers in the EU?
Yes that's one of them, the one that stops us even talking to the other 5.5 billion people in the world.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Yes that's one of them, the one that stops us even talking to the other 5.5 billion people in the world.

Don't confuse population with market size.
Don't confuse hard trade with services.

What's your suggestion for extending our trade reach?

Aictos

Established Member
From 2021
For stays of no more than 90 days in 180, you will require an on-line ETIAS visa-waiver, currently around £7 and valid for 3 years. To obtain that you would have to indicate your fist port of call, declare serious convictions within the last 10 years (20 for terrorism), you may have to declare serious medical conditions, prove you have medical insurance and also at point of entry prove you have sufficient funds and have a return ticket.

There is still time for the UK and EU to come to an agreement to return to passport-only entry, but the UK seems to want to make entry as difficult as possible for EU citizens by requiring full passports (as opposed to ID cards) and our own electronic entry system.
Although, of course, and EU's not wanting to go through all that can enter Ireland (Rep) on just their ID card and wander into the UK unchallenged.
Priti Patel hasn't quite got her head round that one.

Well a Google search brings up a FAQ on the ETIAS visa-waiver: https://www.etias.info/visa-requirements/uk-citizens/

It is important to remember that although UK travelers will not require a visa, they will be required to make arrangements with European authorities with sufficient time before traveling.

So what do they mean by that???

nlogax

Established Member

Doppelganger

Even now, the 450 million of the EU are less than 50% of our trade and shrinking.
Quoting yourself is not cool I admit, but....

Christ on a bike!

We want to negotiate with the rest of the world, which is who exactly?

The whole of Africa's GDP is less than France's.

The rest of the world is poor. You think that some dude in Kinshasa wants to buy some insurance policy from someone in the City?

The trade deals the UK wants are with the EU (shock horror!) and other developed nations.

The trade off then is does the UK compromise on food and environmental standards and pander to big business, or do they actually try to take a lead on these issues without the "shackles" of EU bureaucracy. Spoiler alert, it's the former.

Last edited:

Grimsby town

Even now, the 450 million of the EU are less than 50% of our trade and shrinking.

Not this again. Yes the EU is a shrinking proportion of our trade because other countries' economies are growing far quicker than the EU due to being in a different stage of growth to the EU. The issue with this is we are in the same stage of economic development and hence are becoming increasingly less important economically in the world. The UK is a declining proportion of the US trade for example. So using brexiter logic they should prioritise India and China for trade deals as that is were growth lies

Status
Not open for further replies.