• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW to convert First Class carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I was on an HST yesterday which was surprisingly formed of only 4 standard class coaches but 2xFirst and 1xFirst/Buffet.

I had no idea they had any HST's in this configuration. I'm a vocal critic of the plan to ruin long distance travellers ability to travel First Class on Intercity trains to satisfy Reading commuters but even I have to concede this seemed an odd First/Standard split.
One of the standard class coaches must have been chopped out. All of FGWs' HSTs are supposed to run in 2+8 formation these days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VP185

Had a few odd formations running around on the FGW network, there was at least one set with two TSMBs in the formation as a result of the Dawlish closure.
Some of the trailers including buffet vehicles have been the wrong way round as well.

Class377

I was on an HST yesterday which was surprisingly formed of only 4 standard class coaches but 2xFirst and 1xFirst/Buffet.

I had no idea they had any HST's in this configuration. I'm a vocal critic of the plan to ruin long distance travellers ability to travel First Class on Intercity trains to satisfy Reading commuters but even I have to concede this seemed an odd First/Standard split.

I may well have travelled on the same set yesterday - when I was getting on they did announce there was no coach C so I assume that had been taken out of service (and so normally would have had the 5:2.5 configuration, which to me still seems a little heavy on the 1st class side)

Goatboy

Established Member
It was Coach D that was missing, it was operating a Paddington to Hereford service.

I have seen pictures of the new 1st interior. I won't give much away because I don't know if it's in the public domain yet.. but it looks good in my opinion.

Muzer

Established Member
Wait, so is it the buffet seats being declassified? Will this affect Pullman dining services if so?

455driver

Veteran Member
No the buffet is staying as it is, a complete 1st class carriage that is being converted.

Muzer

Established Member
Ah, I see. I misread this post - sorry!

TEW said:
Well I rode on one of the newly converted ex-buffet carriages today and can confirm that it did indeed have 8 tables. I imagine it will be a very similar layout to that the carriages converted from First Class will receive.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It would be nice to think that FGW will do a slightly better job on the HSTs than they have done on the Turbos, where numerous sets have been in service for months now with one end's First class area declassified but still retaining their yellow roof stripes over the now-Standard class accommodation, and some even vice-versa.

However, they will probably botch the HSTs as well.

Manchester77

Established Member
It would be nice to think that FGW will do a slightly better job on the HSTs than they have done on the Turbos, where numerous sets have been in service for months now with one end's First class area declassified but still retaining their yellow roof stripes over the now-Standard class accommodation, and some even vice-versa.

However, they will probably botch the HSTs as well.

Well if the turbos still have the yellow etc. they've not been done yet, they've carried out the first phase the second will probably be the conversion of the compartment into standard, so that dig at FGW was a bit unnecessary.

TEW

Established Member
The 166s are a bit of a mess externally. They all had one First Class compartment declassified internally almost straight after the announcement that it would be done. There are only 21 units, and the work is literally just removing the yellow first class vinyls. The yellow '1' has been removed on most units, but the yellow cantrail stripe only on a couple.

fgwrich

Established Member
The 166s are a bit of a mess externally. They all had one First Class compartment declassified internally almost straight after the announcement that it would be done. There are only 21 units, and the work is literally just removing the yellow first class vinyls. The yellow '1' has been removed on most units, but the yellow cantrail stripe only on a couple.

I think the actual problem in removing the cantrail stripe is because it's part of the 'Dynamic Lines' vinyl - some units have had an extra strip of vinyl placed over the top but the one I had last week had recently been vandalised and so the strip had to come off in places.

I wouldn't stay too concerned about the appearance of them for too long, they will be repainted into FGW Blue soon during the next C6 - when they receive their accessible toilet mods.

TEW

Established Member
Ah OK, that would make sense. I look forward to seeing them in blue, they should look much better with a fresh coat of paint.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Well if the turbos still have the yellow etc. they've not been done yet, they've carried out the first phase the second will probably be the conversion of the compartment into standard, so that dig at FGW was a bit unnecessary.

That is my point - there are several sets in service where one first class section HAS been de-classified (i.e. headrest covers removed, window stickers removed, litter bins removed, internal doors locked out of use and external large '1' between the windows removed), but which STILL retain the external yellow stripe. Given that the yellow stripe has only to be covered by a dark stripe of the same dimensions, it wouldn't seem to be too hard to do this at the same time!
As a daily user of the North Downs line I know that FGW's performance on the route is dire (information wrong, trains late and frequently turned short, stock ill-maintained, etc.), so all 'digs' are entirely justified.

DylanThomas

Two pictures of the new First Great Western HST First Class
Picture1_zpsd3dc77a9.jpg
Picture2_zpsb339f22b.jpg

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
Looks good. The Reading commuters will definitely be calling for those 1.5 coaches to be 'opened up' to Standard passengers ;)

jimm

Established Member
That is my point - there are several sets in service where one first class section HAS been de-classified (i.e. headrest covers removed, window stickers removed, litter bins removed, internal doors locked out of use and external large '1' between the windows removed), but which STILL retain the external yellow stripe. Given that the yellow stripe has only to be covered by a dark stripe of the same dimensions, it wouldn't seem to be too hard to do this at the same time!
As a daily user of the North Downs line I know that FGW's performance on the route is dire (information wrong, trains late and frequently turned short, stock ill-maintained, etc.), so all 'digs' are entirely justified.

It's not several sets - one compartment on all the 166s has been declassified. The litter bins are still there. Nothing else is going to be done until the sets start to go through works for overhaul.

I'm really not sure how much of a big deal the yellow stripe is frankly - eg the one on coach D on the 180s is pencil-thin and hardly noticeable anyway. Every time I've been on a 166 in recent months the ex-first compartment has been well populated by people who are well aware it's not first any more.

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
Looks as though the 1+1s have been turned around to form singles, which will help those who need a bit of privacy to get on with work. On the other hand, it means couples will likely be sharing a '4' with strangers.

Notice the indentations in the '4' tables: a subtle reminder of where your space stops, and that of the person next to you (horror!) starts.

TEW

Established Member
Looks as though the 1+1s have been turned around to form singles, which will help those who need a bit of privacy to get on with work. On the other hand, it means couples will likely be sharing a '4' with strangers.
I doubt all of the +1 tables have been changed to airline seats but I do think it's a good idea to have some single seats.

Flamingo

Established Member
Without giving the game away, they will be available to inspect soon...

BestWestern

Established Member
"Why has it been refurbished, it isn't tired?..."

Presumably to offer something to first class passengers to compensate for the reduction in capacity, and also to make the environment more suited to the inevitable increase in travellers being seated far more closely to one another.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's not several sets - one compartment on all the 166s has been declassified. The litter bins are still there. Nothing else is going to be done until the sets start to go through works for overhaul.

I'm really not sure how much of a big deal the yellow stripe is frankly - eg the one on coach D on the 180s is pencil-thin and hardly noticeable anyway. Every time I've been on a 166 in recent months the ex-first compartment has been well populated by people who are well aware it's not first any more.

The yellow first class stripe was introduced onto Britain's railways in the mid-1960s and was a very useful way for waiting passengers to identify where the accommodation was on arriving trains. Privatisation has seen a complete ruination of the principle, (along with so many other tried and tested practices) but some operators do retain usefully visible stripes. However, even these are rendered next-to-useless if they are not kept relevant to the accommodation above which they sit. This is especially annoying if, as in the case of the 166s, the first class is at the extreme ends of the units. By the way, I'm not bemoaning the loss of some first class - it is sound to align accommodation provision with passenger demand, but I despair at yet another example of shoddy work on today's railways.

Sorry, but how is 'several sets' wrong in the context in which I wrote it? I didn't say every 166 had the problem, only several. Some 166s have been treated correctly, while several have not. 166201 was this morning's example (see photo).

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.