• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Hey everyone. Just joined the chat. Got my assessment in bristol next week and being doing my homework. Does anyone know where you can download a group bourdon tool?

hiccup88

Hi
Could you give any input as to what stage 1 was like... Format of tests and the session in general?

Hi Jaarus.

There were no surprises to be honest, the process was exactly as they stated in the email and also how it's described on here. We started with the GB test (just be sure to practice dots as many people were confused as they had only practiced the SCAAT test from the materials in the assessment pack from FGW), then moved on TRP1 which was both played and written out in front of us. I found making notes helped me to remember but some people didn't use the spare paper provided. After this was TRP2 which for me was the most challenging (not because it was difficult, but I couldn't help double and triple checking my answers to ensure I made the right choice). I didn't finish the GB test (got just over halfway through each of the 5 sections) nor did i finish the TRP2 questions (can't remember how far I got though).

Best of luck

Last edited:

Class73

In response to telephone interview query- I heard the next day that I had been successful and was going to Bristol so I don't think they are hanging about....less time to practise!

Hi, guys I have a question please, what happens with regards to the medical? is it the same day as your manager interview or do they give you a time and place to be? Also I have been taking pain killers Tramadol to be precise for a knee operation I had 9 days ago I am worried that this might show up in a drug test I have not so much as smoked a joint since I was 19 and I am not a drinker really so the alcohol is of no concern but just wondering about the lay out of the day, I am due to stop taking them next week and worried about the time period, Do I have to tell them or will they get in touch with my doc? cheers guys

The medical will be arranged for you if you pass the managers interview.
Tramadol (in fact most medications) will show up in your urine sample.
If and when you get to a medical, you need to fill in a form with details of any medication you've taken etc.

Make sure you declare everything. Explain why you're taking the tramadol etc.
When I had my first medical years ago, I was contacted to tell me they'd found something in my sample unaccounted for. I remembered I'd taken co-codamol a few weeks earlier and luckily that's what it was.

The railway is very strict on medicines so I'd be surprised if they let you commence training whilst on Tramadol. I could be wrong of course! I'm sure those more knowledgeable will advise you better!

Good luck with it all!

jaarus

Hi Jaarus.

There were no surprises to be honest, the process was exactly as they stated in the email and also how it's described on here. We started with the GB test (just be sure to practice dots as many people were confused as they had only practiced the SCAAT test from the materials in the assessment pack from FGW), then moved on TRP1 which was both played and written out in front of us. I found making notes helped me to remember but some people didn't use the spare paper provided. After this was TRP2 which for me was the most challenging (not because it was difficult, but I couldn't help double and triple checking my answers to ensure I made the right choice). I didn't finish the GB test (got just over halfway through each of the 5 sections) nor did i finish the TRP2 questions (can't remember how far I got though).

Best of luck

So there was no 'structured interview' on the day then? Oh and was GB on paper or PC?
Thanks

Class73

Hi guys, just to support Jaarus question, can anyone make it clear that there are in fact TWO assessment days, one in which you have the mech test and trainability and the other in which you have the GB and the structured interview- the material delivered makes it appear that the WHOLE process will take place on the one day, i.e. tests, interviews, etc - can anyone definitively outline the programme on the first assessment day? There are three hours allotted for the process at Bristol.

thanks guys and gals

Ubique

I am also in Bristol on the 12th - which slot have you got?
I am 12-3
I'm on the 12 slot too, will see you there I guess. What is all this about a 2nd stage assessment? The e-mail makes it out to be done in one day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Starting THE course on 23rd. Anyone else?
When did you do your assessment/s ? For that matter how many assessment days did you have? I hope to be on the October or November one (if the gods move that fast)

Pilgrim

I am slightly worried that my notice period will stop me getting a job as I have to give 3 months ( it can be negotiated down but the work im doing at the minute makes that unlikely) anyone heard of something like this happening?

goldsky

From the website
"Our trainee driver assessment process is broken down in 3 easy stages, and you’ll be able to choose the dates on which you complete each stage.

Stage 1 involves a range of essential assessments that include Group Bourdon, Train Rules and Procedures Part 1& 2 (TRP 1 & 2) tests.
Stage 2 consists of a DTG and Criteria Based Interview (CBI) with the OPC.
Stage 3 is an interview with one of our Line Managers."

These usually take place on separate days

theageofthetra

On Moderation
This is a very good point. The sort of calibre of candidates the TOC's give the impression they are aiming for these days are very likely to be on 3 months notice. Almost every one I know is on at least 2-3 months. The job market (in London anyway) is picking up out there and employees who were treated like dirt during 2009-2012 are walking out in droves. I personally know 4 people who have £35-80k jobs who have moved since July to new employers, all had 3 months notice and their new employers had to agree to accept it due to 3 of them having secondary job offers and the other being so well qualified they couldn't turn her down. I would like to think that TOC's employing staff for £40k+ jobs realise the realities of obtaining £40k+ quality candidates otherwise there will be a lot of shiny new trains with no one to drive them!

hiccup88

So there was no 'structured interview' on the day then? Oh and was GB on paper or PC?
Thanks

No, the assessment is in 4 stages (as they put it in my initial email).
Stage 1 is the GB test, TRP1 and 2
Stage 2 is the Reactions test and structured interview
Stage 3 is the DM interview with one of the managers
Stage 4 is the medical

The GB test was thankfully on paper. Although I know some people find it easier on the PC. Even though my assessment was in Reading, I'm assuming the format will be the same nationwide or else some candidates may or may not get an unfair advantage so I would practice on paper if you can.
The Stage 1 assessment started at 12pm and finished just before 1:30pm with a 10 min break halfway through so it was nothing like the 3/4 hour estimate that was stated in my email!

jaarus

Good to know.

I was querying it as my initial email stated:

Stage 1: a number of online assessments that you'll be invited to complete
Stage 2: a telephone interview to discuss the role
Stage 3: invitation to assessment and interview
Stage 4: a medical check
Stage 5: reference checks

hiccup88

Good to know.

Ah of course! You're doing the new style assessments. Sorry I forgot. I'd go with whatever the email says. If it says all your assessments will be on one day along with an interview then prepare for that. What was included in your practice material?
... unless stage 3 is split. As the tests are quite intense they may not make you sit all of them and then have the interview straight after on the same day.

Then again maybe they will. Does the email provide any further info?

ZeyNic

Good to know.

Hi there jaarus

I'm new to this forum (it's fantastic for information and guidance!)

I have just started the FGW Trainee Train Driver process and have just completed my online assessment (phew, that was stressful all those letters and numbers!)
I just wanted to know how quickly you heard after completing the online assessment? I have just literally done mine 20 minutes ago and am raring to go!

ZeyNic

Hi

I am currently going through the process for the expression of interest for FGW and have just completed my online assessment. Could anyone tell me how quickly I am likely to hear if I have been successful? The other parts of the process were quite quick and wondered if it was the same with the online assessment. Thank you.

Class73

Zeynic mine took about a week then the telephone interview was offered- bear in mind that there is no choice of time slot offered- you have to just accept the telephone interview timeslot available...can be tricky if someone has a job in which they are fully occupied such as bus driver and unable to take the call...

Johncleesefan

Hey all. I had my first stage assessment. GB and TRP today. Roughly, does anyone know how long youre waiting on results. Anyone else on here there today in bristol? Howd you find it?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hey all. I had my first stage assessment. GB and TRP today. Roughly, does anyone know how long youre waiting on results. Anyone else on here there today in bristol? Howd you find it?

Hi,

I'd have a look through this thread, it ranges from few weeks to never
Was there a lot there?

Johncleesefan

broad spectrum of time scales then. There were about
16 of us at my assessment slot. 9 slots in total so im guessing about 150 people overall.

Johncleesefan

I felt really confident when I was actually in there. Had the jitters before though as was my first time. GaveIit my all so hopefully good news when results roll round. Youve sat the assessments I take it?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I felt really confident when I was actually in there. Had the jitters before though as was my first time. GaveIit my all so hopefully good news when results roll round. Youve sat the assessments I take it?

Yeah, done them at Doncaster had all of them on one day too

Johncleesefan

Yeah, done them at Doncaster had all of them on one day too
Wow, well done on tht. I hoped to do everything on one day. Travelled to bristol from york to sit it. Gonna do the same again if sucessful. Expensive travel but will be worth it.
you waiting for managers interview now?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Wow, well done on tht. I hoped to do everything on one day. Travelled to bristol from york to sit it. Gonna do the same again if sucessful. Expensive travel but will be worth it.

you waiting for managers interview now?

Yeah, prob need to wait until all assessments finishing first before getting called.

Status
Not open for further replies.