• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First win Intercity West Coast franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DazDude

Where could they possibly put one at Preston?

Isn't there a unused 'Bar' towards the South end of Platform 4? (Pretty sure as I've been past it often enough when I've worked on the station) And thus it would be ideally situated for First Class Passengers.

I have also overheard talk when I've been at Stockport of them possibly adding a Lounge at Stockport in the old Canteen towards the South End of platform's 1 & 2 as they have a good number of VIP's come through the station (so as to avoid being as bothered at Piccadilly)

Where could they possibly put one at Preston?

Above the normal waiting room on platform 3/4. There are lots of empty office space above it all. Something the public are not probably aware of.

However, it being a listed building I cant see them getting planning permission to knock walls down to accomodate a larger 1st class lounge.

There is also a large crew area on platform 4, towards the end where the BTP offices are. They would move the onboard crew rooms to someone else (probably the office space as above). There also used to be a large canteen there (and believe bar at some point in the stations lifetime), perfect to convert for 1st class lounge use. Its also right opposite the gold area, where 1st class carriages stop.

Manchester77

Established Member
Just been on twitter:-

Hugh Pym ‏@BBCHughPym
Govt re West Coast mainline - as a result of a legal challenge, contract not yet signed with First Group - competition "remains live"
Retweeted by BBC News (UK)

Hugh Pym ‏@BBCHughPym
Govt also says intends to defend Virgin legal challenge robustly

Hugh Pym saying about ICWC

tbtc

Veteran Member
Or even Glasgow!

Probably more need at Glasgow since there won't always be a Pendolino sat in a platform allowing passengers to board (compared to Birmingham, Euston, Manchester...), due to the lower frequency.

Do they have enough slack in their fleet then? Even with better fleet availability.
Whatever the case, to run any extra services at all, they would be pushing themselves. Even with the 4 extra units just arriving. Perhaps they could just do it, but id expect more delays than at present.

I'm surprised Virgin needed the extra 390s since they can apparently run all these extra services with just five loaves and two fish (I think I'm getting my stories mixed up :lol:)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I see the DfT are emphasising that they can't issue any detailed comments. Perhaps a coded warning to SRB to STFU?

They also added this short paragraph:

DfT said:
When a new franchise begins, employees of the current franchise operator, including drivers, guards and back office staff will be transferred to the new operator, protected by TUPE regulations. All of the rolling stock used by the incumbent operator will also transfer across.

...given everything they've announced before, I presume this is (and far too late) an attempt to stop some of the wilder scare stories being broadcast on social media sites...

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The Speaker of the House of Commons has just refused Tim Farron's request for an Emergency Debate in the House of Commons on the subject of the West Coast franchise. The Speaker suggested the MP might like to pursue the matter via "other means".

WatcherZero

Established Member
Well its good to see Greening and her colleagues have finally listened to the Dft lawyers and accepting they couldnt sign while there was a challenge to the award. Their insistence that signing would continue despite the challenge was alarmingly ignorant.

E16 Cyclist

The deal being put on hold is a bit of a non story to be honest, signing the agreement while the judical review application is still live would have been a mistake.And i'm sure behind the scenes preparations for the new franchise are still being made.

p123

There used to be a Virgin lounge at Glasgow Central; it was demolished to make way for 2 extra platforms.

The platforms came before the demolition (as part of GARL).

It was demolished so First Scotrail could build their gargantuan gateline.

In fact, looking back on this event, first demolishing Virgin's good things should have given us all a hint for the future...!

chuckles1066

Just been on twitter:-

Hugh Pym ‏@BBCHughPym
Govt re West Coast mainline - as a result of a legal challenge, contract not yet signed with First Group - competition "remains live"

Hugh Pym ‏@BBCHughPym
Govt also says intends to defend Virgin legal challenge robustly

Hugh Pym saying about ICWC

Probably a bit late to the party but the BBC is reporting that "more than 165,000 people" have signed an online petition protesting against the original decision.

Thank God I'm not the only person who can actually see FirstGroup for what they are.

With all due respect, some of you need to take off the blinkers.

Morgsie

Hopefully there is a debate due to the e-petition, depends on the Backbench Business Committee though.

Good that the DfT have put this on hold

David10

Well its good to see Greening and her colleagues have finally listened to the Dft lawyers and accepting they couldnt sign while there was a challenge to the award. Their insistence that signing would continue despite the challenge was alarmingly ignorant.
In fairness this was before Virgin lodged its application for a judicial review. Greening would have known from the beginning that the contract could not be signed if Virgin made the application. By standing firm it forced Virgin onto the stage rather than hiding behind the Select Committee.

Ferret

Established Member
Hopefully there is a debate due to the e-petition, depends on the Backbench Business Committee though.

Good that the DfT have put this on hold

They had no option as far as I can see, with Beardie going for a judicial review. I expect it to drag on now, maybe beyond Christmas. I'd be fascinated to hear what the Virgin staff feel about all this! Behind Richard Branson, or ****ed off that he's creating more uncertainty....?

From the onboard caterings point of view, they think its great news. Even the fixed term contracts people. Even since the petition kicked off they have deluded themselfs that VT will get the contract reawarded to them.

driver_m

Established Member
Can't speak for other people at VT but I am ok about it, not surprised that this would happen though. The railway just doesn't do things simply. Never has never will. Half expecting a uniform in December with the east of 'east coast' stitching pulled out and a west sticker put hastily in place.

Wath Yard

They are aware that unless the judge is Mr Justice Branson the court isn't going to award the franchise to Virgin aren't they?

WatcherZero

Established Member
The first hurdle is in a week or so, the Judge has to decide whether theres a case to hear or not.

RPI

Established Member
They had no option as far as I can see, with Beardie going for a judicial review. I expect it to drag on now, maybe beyond Christmas. I'd be fascinated to hear what the Virgin staff feel about all this! Behind Richard Branson, or ****ed off that he's creating more uncertainty....?

May be signed as soon as next week if the judge decides there is no case to hear, which is what most people seem to think will happen, I'd bet my years salary that if the handover is delayed then DOR will take over or First will run the WCML on a management contract until the Judicial procedure is over.

WelshZ

I'm worried about the long term effects of this decison. now any TOC who lose a franchise have precedent to go on if they want to pull a temper tantrum and run to the courts

Hope this will end up good news for us Virgin users but will First be now worried or will they think that they will take over on Dec 9th and be not so worried?

Oswyntail

Established Member
I don't think that was actually the case. The official line was that the signing would take place as planned unless there was a formal legal challenge mounted. In other words, Virgin had to put their money where their mouth was and raise the challenge in court, rather than hoping to get things delayed and debated without one. A formal challenge would presumably also have to be specific about the grounds for a challenge, rather than the generic toy-throwing of recent weeks, and so the DfT would have the specific answers.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Or if it does highlight shortfalls in the franchise process, lets hope all involved learn from it and make it right going forwards. Even if he's in the right, I am sure Branson will be shown to be wrong. Even if it meant fixing the outcome, the DfT and government don't want egg on their face.... First can't lose, even if they do!!!

eastdyke

Established Member
I'm worried about the long term effects of this decison. now any TOC who lose a franchise have precedent to go on if they want to pull a temper tantrum and run to the courts

urmmmm ...

That option has always been open to a 'losing' bidder.

Virgin Trains Ltd must have been advised that they have some sort of chance of winning a chance to be granted a Judicial Review. That does not mean that they will 'win'.

If the subsequent substantive Judicial Review is ultimately 'won' it will only have the Franchise award deemed unlawful as the procedure was not correctly followed. The court does not have the power to 'gift' VTLtd a Franchise.

The DfT may well be able to make the same decision again by following the correct procedure.

HH

Established Member

Given that the average MP seems about as ignorant about UK Rail as the average facebook poster, I can't see any advantage in a Commons Debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.