• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia get Thameslink Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Key word missing: "live"

I think the "live" part will only come in with the 700s as they have that functionality built in.

And to avoid several hundred people shuffling up and down the core station platforms as trains unload/load in the preceding few minutes, don't expect live info with the 700s either

jon0844

Veteran Member
FCC already has loading information at many stations for the peak. In fact, many TOCs do.

The 700s will have the ability to state how many people it has on board, and presumably whereabouts based on where they boarded/alighted (are there additional sensors between carriages for those that move?).

Some FCC stock have counters, but they don't provide real time information. I presume the data can and does contribute to the posters produced though?

It does sound like Govia is trying to 'sell' things that already happen, or were already happening, to convince passengers how great they are. Of course, any company would.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
FCC already has loading information at many stations for the peak. In fact, many TOCs do.

The 700s will have the ability to state how many people it has on board, and presumably whereabouts based on where they boarded/alighted (are there additional sensors between carriages for those that move?).

Described in the train/infrastructure interface spec as follows:

3.3 Customer Information Systems
[...]
It is anticipated the data flows between the Unit and a central Service Control Centre will need to include, but not limited to, the status of individual vehicle loading (i.e. which parts of the train are already full and which parts still have space), door system status (i.e. location of any isolated doors so that passengers can be directed to other doors), status of other 'amenities (location of First Class, defective toilets, etc)

I'd expect they'd use a carriage weighing system, rather than a passenger counting system, the former would automatically cope with people moving around once onboard the train...

infobleep

Veteran Member
As the reason is because the proceeding FCC service was cancelled than probably not. ;)

As for information that trains are full and standing the GTR say their new app will give live train loading information from November.
That did cross my mind after posting. I wonder how busy a train has to be, to be classed as full and standing.

The train I was on from Clapham Junction the other night wasn't advertised as full and standing. I was able to board though. It got harder at Gatwick Airport so may be by then they were advertising this.

387star

On Moderation
Is this the first time during privatisation a franchise has returned to a company which previously ran it (govia thameslink)

TEW

Established Member
Just caught 377509 and the exterior First Capital Connect logos have been removed. Has debranding started already?

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Just caught 377509 and the exterior First Capital Connect logos have been removed. Has debranding started already?

More than likely. One of the 319s (old Southern one) has recently been put into an advert livery but has no mention of First Capital Connect on it anymore.

The franchise changes in just over a month so they will likely be starting now and working their way through the fleet.

Class377/5

Established Member

More likely come off after a graffii attack and isn't going to be put back on than anything else. Happened before quite a few times.

387star

On Moderation
More than likely. One of the 319s (old Southern one) has recently been put into an advert livery but has no mention of First Capital Connect on it anymore.

The franchise changes in just over a month so they will likely be starting now and working their way through the fleet.

what advertising livery please? AFAIK none of the advertising liveries carry FCC branding

Domh245

Established Member
425 Has had it's branding removed, leaving it with large dirt shadows on the side which read "First Capital Connect" but it still had it's nameplate "Transforming Travel - First" (or something like that)

387star

On Moderation
425 Has had it's branding removed, leaving it with large dirt shadows on the side which read "First Capital Connect" but it still had it's nameplate "Transforming Travel - First" (or something like that)

End of an era!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I wonder how they'll deal with the 365's a they're vinyled with the 'skyline' livery containing the FCC name as part of the vinyl.

Will they completely remove the vinyl, exposing the Network South East livery underneath :D or will they just leave the vinyl on and put a 'Great Northern' interim sticker over the FCC branding on the day of the changeover which will do until they get round to the unit refresh where the livery changes anyway.

Skimble19

Established Member
The letters are separate to the main vinyl on the 365s, hence why occasionally you'll see a unit with "Fist" instead of First etc.

Fincra5

Established Member
2emhcwp.jpg

Saw a 319 with no branding at Preston Park earlier? Is this not just for Northern or is it part of TSGN re-branding?

Some in Control already refer to FCC as 'Thameslink'

Larger:http://oi57.tinypic.com/2rnhb3n.jpg

TEW

Established Member
More likely come off after a graffii attack and isn't going to be put back on than anything else. Happened before quite a few times.

Saw quite a few 319s with no FCC logos so looks like it is the start of debranding. All the units still have 'Dynamic Lights' vinyls though. Also noticed that unlike reliveried 319010, 319001 has no FCC logos, just the base TSGN livery.

ModernRailways

Established Member
FCC has the "Great Northern" side too for services using the ECML, on their Twitter feed when giving updates they start the tweet with either TL or GN ;)

Speaking of which has anyone seen any 365s or other FCC GN stock with removed branding?

IIRC, I saw one 365 that didn't have it on Thursday last week, but it looked like it had been ripped off by vandals.

Fincra5

Established Member
Well I've now seen unit 377514 at Brighton that is unbranded too... Must just be starting the process already.

hedpe

All classes are being debranded, including masking of any logos on the passenger safety and route diagram posters

Class377/5

Established Member
Saw quite a few 319s with no FCC logos so looks like it is the start of debranding. All the units still have 'Dynamic Lights' vinyls though. Also noticed that unlike reliveried 319010, 319001 has no FCC logos, just the base TSGN livery.

I was wrong, it unbranding. Saw a unit myself.

Saw a 319 with no branding at Preston Park earlier? Is this not just for Northern or is it part of TSGN re-branding?

Some in Control already refer to FCC as 'Thameslink'

Been refered to as Thameslink in control for awhile. Remember some staff work on both sides.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is this the first time during privatisation a franchise has returned to a company which previously ran it (govia thameslink)

I think you are right.
With the trend in the last round being from National Express to First, "reversions" are likely to be the result of NatEx wins.
Scotrail is the next such possibility.
After that, Arriva or First would have to win the Northern rebid.

387star

On Moderation
They should strip off all FCC vinyls to reveal original thameslink blue which govia designed in the first place! Or silver for some units
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FCC used Great Northern and Thameslink terms themselves when describing the network

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.