• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Class 700 diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble19

Established Member
Can they do that as a soft launch? Presumably it requires not running the equivalent services into Kings Cross and London Bridge, so they'd have to notify people and make it official?
Essentially the existing services will be replaced, same times either side of the river. Only real difference is instead of terminating / starting at Kings Cross the GN passengers will be going into St Pancras instead of King’s Cross. I assume there will be some kind of public comms about it, not sure to what extent though.

For those who like to look through the planners to find these things, they won’t show up at the moment. Based on current plans (which may hopefully change) the existing services will show up as cancelled and the replacements will be at the same time but with their new destination and calling pattern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Those of you wanting to sample going from Great Northern to Thameslink may be in for a bit of a surprise/treat/laugh soon (whatever your opinion!!). Plans in place to begin an early soft public test launch of two trains a day, Peterborough to Horsham and return replacing two currently separate services each way (London Bridge to Horsham and Kings Cross to Peterborough). Won’t give dates just yet as still subject to change but if all goes to plan it won’t be long!

How wonderful! I so can’t wait to go for a day trip to Horsham and gain a sore backside and twisted ankle in the process (assuming the train doesn’t break down on the way)!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Lots of trains out testing now ahead of the gradual introduction of the 8 cars.. Wonder how they'll go down when in service.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How wonderful! I so can’t wait to go for a day trip to Horsham and gain a sore backside and twisted ankle in the process (assuming the train doesn’t break down on the way)!

I think if they put on the Orient Express with full silver service at no extra cost I might still resist such a journey!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Essentially the existing services will be replaced, same times either side of the river. Only real difference is instead of terminating / starting at Kings Cross the GN passengers will be going into St Pancras instead of King’s Cross. I assume there will be some kind of public comms about it, not sure to what extent though.

For those who like to look through the planners to find these things, they won’t show up at the moment. Based on current plans (which may hopefully change) the existing services will show up as cancelled and the replacements will be at the same time but with their new destination and calling pattern.

I wonder what's going to happen to the fares on the test trains. RPIs at Farringdon/City Thameslink/Blackfriars/London Bridge could be busy.......

Failed Unit

Established Member
In shock. Sat on a 8 coach train from WGC to London on a Saturday. Seats for everyone. (It came from Peterborough). Very surprised as I thought GTR would hold off until the 700s came along to claim it as a benefit.

sefton

I wonder what's going to happen to the fares on the test trains. RPIs at Farringdon/City Thameslink/Blackfriars/London Bridge could be busy.......

So will be the rear first class be in force between Peterborough and St Pancras and then declassified from there.

Downthelane

It's starting to make sense. We all need to work at weekends then to get a seat.

Rees-Mogg and cronies mission to repeal EU employment laws joined at the hip with GTR planning.

Less requirement for peak weekday travel and make it a seven day working week.

Simple.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So will be the rear first class be in force between Peterborough and St Pancras and then declassified from there.

It seems to be declassified with increasing frequency anyway. The last two times I've used the 0736 from Stevenage it's been declassified.

Skimble19

Established Member
It seems to be declassified with increasing frequency anyway. The last two times I've used the 0736 from Stevenage it's been declassified.
It should only be being declassified during disruption, or if previous services have been cancelled - no different to any other stock on the route. If it’s saying it on the PIS on board then it’s an error (albeit one that would make it extremely difficult and realistically impossible for the Passenger Hosts to enforce!). At present First Class remains in operation at both the front and back of the 700s on GN.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It should only be being declassified during disruption, or if previous services have been cancelled - no different to any other stock on the route. If it’s saying it on the PIS on board then it’s an error (albeit one that would make it extremely difficult and realistically impossible for the Passenger Hosts to enforce!). At present First Class remains in operation at both the front and back of the 700s on GN.

I'll report back on Monday's status!

sefton

one that would make it extremely difficult and realistically impossible for the Passenger Hosts to enforce!

Surely the "Passenger Hosts" are too busy welcoming customers onto the train, taking their coats, and sorting out drinks for them.

Unless there is a different meaning of 'host' I am unaware of.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely the "Passenger Hosts" are too busy welcoming customers onto the train, taking their coats, and sorting out drinks for them.

There aren't any staff on board at all apart from the occasional ticket inspection but come to think of it I don't think I've had a ticket check on the 0736 since it converted to 700 operation, although to be fair I don't use it every day.

Perhaps they fear there might be too much feedback from passengers about the new trains?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I do wonder if GTR is going to have problems with enforcing first class on GN 700s which are externally branded Thameslink?

Think the issues with the 387s before they actually decided to mark the compartment properly inside.

I am sure it wouldn't take long for anyone given a penalty to dig up a post from the TL account on Twitter and show that against a photo of the train (from the outside) then plead ignorance.

tsr

Established Member
Less requirement for peak weekday travel and make it a seven day working week.

Much though your post may be in jest, shift work and 7-day working across further industries is being heavily promoted in certain segments of the urban planning, construction and building design industries. To some extent it's sensible, although weekend train services in certain areas may simply not have the resources yet (track access, units not occupied with maintenance, etc.).

It's also very true to say that in certain areas of London and the South East under constant regeneration or with 24/7 industries, you can find that trains on a Saturday morning are very busy with construction and utilities workers heading to their various occupations, and late evening trains may have quite a few workers heading in to night shifts or home from work. Not to mention the tired police officers, NHS staff etc. in the same category whom you see heading back home after their all-nighters. I've had more than one occasion where various workers in these categories have explained they are so shattered they think they'll fall sound asleep and miss their stop - police officers are particularly diligent to ask if they can be woken up - and 99% of the time I'll agree to do my best to rouse them, if I'm not doing anything else!

Remember, you can be a good host or a bad host...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
1st class is another internal design flaw of the 700s.

A compartment at each end gives certainty of location but results in over provision, especially on the 8-car trains. It also means that two doors on each side of the train are unavailable for use by Standard class ticket holders. Hardly ideal when the reason for having so many doors to to assist boarding and alighting and spread the load through the train.

It might have been better to have located a smaller 1st class compartment towards the middle of the train in such a position that wouldn't have resulted in fewer doors being available for Standard class passengers. It would also mean there'd be no need to declassify one of the compartments.

Two potential downsides:

- the location of the disabled area although I'm sure both 1st class and the level boarding area could be accommodated somehow
- Standard class broken up by 1st class in the middle. Not ideal but we seem to manage with this on lots of other stock.

Skimble19

Established Member

It's the new job title for the RPIs on GN/TL... was a few changes to their role but it's still pretty much the same as before.
I do wonder if GTR is going to have problems with enforcing first class on GN 700s which are externally branded Thameslink?

Think the issues with the 387s before they actually decided to mark the compartment properly inside.

I am sure it wouldn't take long for anyone given a penalty to dig up a post from the TL account on Twitter and show that against a photo of the train (from the outside) then plead ignorance.
Shouldn't be an issue from May.

APUK002

It's the new job title for the RPIs on GN/TL... was a few changes to their role but it's still pretty much the same as before.
Shouldn't be an issue from May.
You saying from May 70p’s rear 1st will declassified on gn?

Skimble19

Established Member
You saying from May 70p’s rear 1st will declassified on gn?
Not as far as I know but it could happen. I was replying to @jon0844 about GN services being operated by Thameslink branded stock - as of May the services they’ll be operating will be Thameslink.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Not as far as I know but it could happen. I was replying to @jon0844 about GN services being operated by Thameslink branded stock - as of May the services they’ll be operating will be Thameslink.
Will the London Kx - Cambridge still be GN? The ones that were supposed to be starting back at Maidstone?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Will the London Kx - Cambridge still be GN? The ones that were supposed to be starting back at Maidstone?

The trains running to KGX instead of through the core will have Thameslink on the exterior but almost certainly remain as Great Northern. Cue months of confusion, just as there is daily at King's Cross now with the TL branded GN services to Peterborough.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'll report back on Monday's status!

The rear 1st class compartment of today’s 0736 from Stevenage is declassified, once again.

Attachments

• 6D487074-9DAE-4DBF-9E90-3605AFDC6F69.jpeg
    6D487074-9DAE-4DBF-9E90-3605AFDC6F69.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 40

Skimble19

Established Member
The rear 1st class compartment of today’s 0736 from Stevenage is declassified, once again.
That shouldn't really be happening still but it's a known issue. Essentially it all depends on what code is put into the PIS for that journey - unfortunately some of the numbers they're given include the incorrect digit that incorrectly marks the area as declassified.

Still, may as well make the most of it - no revenue staff will dispute that to a passenger that that area is saying it's declassified.

Skimble19

Established Member
1P94, currently 12 car 365, will now transfer to 700 FLU operation as of Monday.

sefton

no revenue staff will dispute that to a passenger that that area is saying it's declassified.

You have faith!

I have watched whilst a GN RPI got as far as trying to take a customer's details before the penny dropped and they realised the customer did actually hold a valid ticket (it was an evening peak issue).

jon0844

Veteran Member
Those of you wanting to sample going from Great Northern to Thameslink may be in for a bit of a surprise/treat/laugh soon (whatever your opinion!!). Plans in place to begin an early soft public test launch of two trains a day, Peterborough to Horsham and return replacing two currently separate services each way (London Bridge to Horsham and Kings Cross to Peterborough). Won’t give dates just yet as still subject to change but if all goes to plan it won’t be long!

Less of a surprise from what I have heard. Passengers to be kicked off at Finsbury Park and the train marked as cancelled. Then runs ECS to Horsham, or at least through the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.