• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SND150

I am unable to get the link at the beginning of this thread to work keeps saying that the zip cannot be found. I have looked on Google and apparently you can get the tool on Railchat if you register for that forum. I try to register and it keeps telling me I have answered incorrectly the question 'What was British Rails city to city service advertised as?' I have answered it InterCity and am wondering what else it might be?

SND150

I've just tried the link on this forum, and it's working fine.
Tried it again and it comes up with a long error message and tells me the application is not found??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Woo hoo! Just got signed in to Railchat and have downloaded the tool, time to practice!!

BigStu

Hi All,

Newbie here.. First post so please be patient.

Just want to say THANK YOU!!!:D for the Bourdon Tool download.
I have installed it and look forward to getting stuck in to practice.

Have my first stage assessment with First Scotrail in a couple of weeks in Glasgow and want to do all I can to give myself every chance of getting through to the interviews.
I am chuffed to get to the assessment stage on my first try and would like more than anything to become a trainee driver.:)

BigStu

westbrom

I think this test has persuaded me to go get my eyes tested as after the second sheet im really straining with it.

BigStu

I had mine tested yesterday, westbrom, after the same issue lol :shock:

Won't have new specs in time for Assessment Day though..:(

Keep practicing a wee bit every day and it'll improve, your eyes will get used to it.

zippy11

when its on paper is it a4 size like when u print them off .
if so how many lines roughly cleared would get you passed

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Im using the tool and its really helpful. What I need to know is how long in a real test to you get and for how many lines? Is accuracy and speed rated 50/50 or would they rather you get 100% but only half finish. Any help would be appreciated as I am taking mine next Thursday and only got invited to the interview today. Heeeelp!

daddy_badger

right, if you read a few pages back you may get a good idea. obviously 0 errors and 0 omissions, best advice is accuracy and consistency. speed does not come into it at all, check out the YT video of the person going really fast and yet failed the real test.

TDK

Established Member
Im using the tool and its really helpful. What I need to know is how long in a real test to you get and for how many lines? Is accuracy and speed rated 50/50 or would they rather you get 100% but only half finish. Any help would be appreciated as I am taking mine next Thursday and only got invited to the interview today. Heeeelp!

These answers are all on the forum - just do a search

Beveridges

Established Member
right, if you read a few pages back you may get a good idea. obviously 0 errors and 0 omissions, best advice is accuracy and consistency. speed does not come into it at all, check out the YT video of the person going really fast and yet failed the real test.

That person failed the tests BEFORE he practiced the Group Boredom software and improved his speed massively!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Well been having a practice on the GB tool the last 3 days and I am getting reasonably consistently 1200 cells with 2-3 errors. Does that give me a cat in hells chance of passing? Good luck to anyone else out there taking tests. Oh I am aged 42 as I understand age is factored in.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Without practice he was too slow to pass the Boredom Test

I'm sorry but surely that means he isn't suitable? If you HAVE to practise like mad to pass it then really the role isn't for you. This is what bugs me. Some people that don't practise like mad but pass by just using the issues practise material might be eliminated because someone who isn't as good has practised to death the tests and has made the cut off higher and higher which just isn't fair.

Bayum

Established Member
I'm sorry but surely that means he isn't suitable? If you HAVE to practise like mad to pass it then really the role isn't for you. This is what bugs me. Some people that don't practise like mad but pass by just using the issues practise material might be eliminated because someone who isn't as good has practised to death the tests and has made the cut off higher and higher which just isn't fair.

So Doctors who revise like mad for their exams and objective, structured, clinical examinations aren't suitable to be doctors?

Nor anyone else who has to refine their technique in other areas of life...

JB25

These answers are all on the forum - just do a search

Of course instead of your unhelpful response perhaps you could have merely pointed the chap in the right direction. ;) Not everyone knows how to use the search function on here... JAT.

Beveridges

Established Member

It's simple - If he wants the job that much he has to put the effort in these days, and practice & practice, in his own time, unpaid, to improve his score. Which he failed to do the first time, but in preparation for his second attempt you only need to see the Youtube video where he practiced so much that he is now able to "complete" the test with all 25 rows marked within the standard timespan. His practice was 'over the top', and there is no need to reach this level, but it shows what can be done. He has gone from a failure at Group Boredom to reaching the best score possible.

With all the aids available today that the other candidates will be using, it is almost essential to practice like mad to compete. Especially now that we are in an age where TOC's are turning away candidates with borderline passes.

Last edited:

BigStu

Not filling me with confidence for tomorrow..!:roll:

Just want to say good luck to anyone else sitting the trainee train driver (Edinburgh Waverley) assessment in Glasgow tomorrow afternoon.
By the sounds of things here, I think we'll need it!

Sleep well..!:)

TDK

Established Member
Of course instead of your unhelpful response perhaps you could have merely pointed the chap in the right direction. ;) Not everyone knows how to use the search function on here... JAT.

I am sorry - but with all the competition for trainee driver positions I do get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. The role of a train driver requires you use your own initiative.
So Doctors who revise like mad for their exams and objective, structured, clinical examinations aren't suitable to be doctors?

Nor anyone else who has to refine their technique in other areas of life...

This is testing a persons natural concentration levels to see if they are suitable for a job! If someone fails this and then practices and passes they are just not suitable.

BigStu

Thank gawd that assessment day is finally over with.
Good luck to all the other blokes (and lady!) who will have equally sore eyes and head tonight.

Will be counting Boredom Dots instead o sheep tonight methinks..

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
I am sorry - but with all the competition for trainee driver positions I do get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. The role of a train driver requires you use your own initiative.

This is testing a persons natural concentration levels to see if they are suitable for a job! If someone fails this and then practices and passes they are just not suitable.

Are you saying that with practice, age and concentration tasks (such as practicing such tests), don't deliver any benefit and that concentration isn't something that can be developed in someone?

Strange seeing as I teach a year 3-4 class who have a greater concentration span than the reception class...

ewsdbs

I passed this in 1989, but can't remember what the instructions were. Was it to score out all groups of 4 and leave the rest?

I may download and have a go.

BigStu

Yeah, score out the groups of 4 dots and getting through as many lines as possible. Sat mine on Monday.

TDK

Established Member
Are you saying that with practice, age and concentration tasks (such as practicing such tests), don't deliver any benefit and that concentration isn't something that can be developed in someone?

Strange seeing as I teach a year 3-4 class who have a greater concentration span than the reception class...

By practicing the tests it does not reflect a candidates natural ability and so therefore will deem the test as inadequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.