• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunfordBridge

How accurate is accurate?

I have had a few occasions where I have had zero omissions, I do not even contemplate clicking on the wrong symbol. Certainly not last night however. I had four omissions, three of which were on the last sheet but I do not expect much on a Monday night after the first day back at work. So long as I get better than five omissions then I am reasonably happy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
How accurate is accurate?

I have had a few occasions where I have had zero omissions, I do not even contemplate clicking on the wrong symbol. Certainly not last night however. I had four omissions, three of which were on the last sheet but I do not expect much on a Monday night after the first day back at work. So long as I get better than five omissions then I am reasonably happy.

You want to aim for zero omissions and slow down to achieve this goal.

DunfordBridge

I have got room for manoeuvre but I may have over-practised the Group Bourdon at the detriment to the CBI, otherwise I may have been training on class 66s by now but somehow that does not bother me anymore.

Jydo

I tried this test for the 1st time today on paper, here is what I have done in Layman's terms.

I photocopied 5 pages out of richard mcmunns GB test book, each bit of paper had 11 boxes going across and 15 columns going down. I gave myself 60 seconds per page going 5mins non stop. Im not entirely sure how I have done? I successfully marked 140 boxes with 4 dots during the full test. I missed 9 boxes but are you penalised if your halfway along a line but run out of time? Unfortunately I have a macbook and can't access the GBT but I was under the impression that all GB was done on paper anyway…

I agree with some others that accuracy is the key and you shouldn't over do it with this either

Septus

I tried this test for the 1st time today on paper, here is what I have done in Layman's terms.

I photocopied 5 pages out of richard mcmunns GB test book, each bit of paper had 11 boxes going across and 15 columns going down. I gave myself 60 seconds per page going 5mins non stop. Im not entirely sure how I have done? I successfully marked 140 boxes with 4 dots during the full test. I missed 9 boxes but are you penalised if your halfway along a line but run out of time? Unfortunately I have a macbook and can't access the GBT but I was under the impression that all GB was done on paper anyway…

I agree with some others that accuracy is the key and you shouldn't over do it with this either

11 across and 15 down sounds a little low...
http://group-bourdon-tool.software.informer.com/screenshot/162724/

That's a screenshot from the computer version, which I would say is pretty similar size to the actual paper version.

2 mins per sheet - 10 mins overall.

Jydo

for some reason (maybe read it somewhere??) I thought it was 25 columns down?? yeah the one I tried it with is a mini version with 60secs………its good to give it a try, although my first time score is possibly below target I'm pretty confident with this

MCW

guys, quick question, I am practicing for a platform assessment with EMT and i don't know which test i need! is it the dots or the shapes? many thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
also lads Here are my first results for the first full test I did... are these good??

SCAAT Result Statistics
Saved on 03/02/2014 at 00:50:59
-------------------------------

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ 81
Marked Incorrect ----------- 19

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 2058
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.167
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.110

Completed Rows ------------- 77
Mean Row Time -------------- 4.184
Median Row Time ------------ 3.790

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 6.47

chers

Red18

Here are my first results for the first full test I did... are these good??

I think you need to slow down a lot.
You need to try and get the 'Incorrect' and 'Omitted' mark down to 0 if possible.
With so may errors I suspect you are just going too fast.
Try and find out if you will doing the paper test and if so practise that if you can. I found the paper test much easier.

Don't give up though, just keep practising.

MCW

okies thank you, I thought the objective was to react the fastest and go like lightning or else you wouldn't pass the test.. obviously its the reverse! lol
also 2nd time round i took my time and got omitted 5 and incorrect 1 much better

TDK

Established Member
okies thank you, I thought the objective was to react the fastest and go like lightning or else you wouldn't pass the test.. obviously its the reverse! lol
also 2nd time round i took my time and got omitted 5 and incorrect 1 much better

You also need to read the advice on this forum

Will.C

I've recently been invited to an Assessment Day and have been sent a very helpful pack and booklet on what to expect on the day and practice sheets.
Instead of the groups of dots though the practice sheets are asking me to pick out certain letters, either lower case or capital, sometimes 2 different letters on the same sheet.
It does say that the practice tests they've supplied are a little different to what I will be doing on the day but by different do they mean different letters or groups of dots?

Many thanks, this tread has been a great read :)

Red18

I've recently been invited to an Assessment Day and have been sent a very helpful pack and booklet on what to expect on the day and practice sheets.
Instead of the groups of dots though the practice sheets are asking me to pick out certain letters, either lower case or capital, sometimes 2 different letters on the same sheet.
It does say that the practice tests they've supplied are a little different to what I will be doing on the day but by different do they mean different letters or groups of dots?

It will be dots.

DunfordBridge

I will be inclined to agree with Red18. The SCAAT test has been known to appear in the past depending on the operator, which is similar in principle to the examples in the practice material but using a wider variety of shapes.

I am somewhat doubtful that anyone still uses the SCAAT test under the new testing regime for drivers although it may possibly be used for conductor recruitment in some parts.

Louby

It's dots, I passed it last week, speed is important but not as much as accuracy, if you can get to 10 rows no errors your on a winner

TDK

Established Member
It's dots, I passed it last week, speed is important but not as much as accuracy, if you can get to 10 rows no errors your on a winner

If you can get to 7 - 8 rows on each page with complete accuracy and no omissions you are also on a winner

TDK

Established Member
I'm guessing it's between 8-10 yeah?

7 or above is a good pass although if it is down to the Bourdon in the selection, in other words if 2 candidates are equal across the board the one with the most will get the job but this happening has a very low probability.

Louby

7 or above is a good pass although if it is down to the Bourdon in the selection, in other words if 2 candidates are equal across the board the one with the most will get the job but this happening has a very low probability.

They are valid for 5 yrs I believe once passed is that correct ? I'm waiting for my stage 2 next wed

Blueiain

Hello folks
Long time lurker, needing help, I applied to DB Schenker last year, I forgot about it as I've been applying to other TOC, well today I have come home and there is this parcel for me with loads of practice assessment to work through, I've been offered an assessment day at Doncaster in March, can anyone shed an light on what I will be doing,

Red18

Hi,surely the practice material explains what you will be expected to do in the tests?
Either way there is plenty of info in these forums if you have a browse.
You've posted your question in a thread for Group Bourdon (which you will be doing) so maybe you should look / post in a more generic thread.
Good luck by the way.

Last edited:

Blueiain

Thank you, I've been looking around the forum, I found a member had put a link to download a Group Bourdon test, which I've downloaded and had taken me 2 days to understand how to do it, should have read the instructions before hand

Red18

Thank you, I've been looking around the forum, I found a member had put a link to download a Group Bourdon test, which I've downloaded and had taken me 2 days to understand how to do it, should have read the instructions before hand

Try printing some sheets out and practice on paper. I think most Group Bourdon (dots) tests are done this way now. Not sure about DBS though. Hopefully someone else will confirm this.

Louby

The tests I've received have Animals on, and other objects

That will be the memory , I'd just do it on the day to be honest, only thing you can practice is the dots ( check if it's paper or pc) and prepare for the mmi

laws67

Hi all, apologies if this has come up before and has been answered already but does anyone know if it is now possible to use the freebie download of the bourdon properly with all functions on windows 8? My nephew has downloaded it on to his laptop (windows 8) but not all functions work. Many thanks.

Red18

Hi all, apologies if this has come up before and has been answered already but does anyone know if it is now possible to use the freebie download of the bourdon properly with all functions on windows 8? My nephew has downloaded it on to his laptop (windows 8) but not all functions work. Many thanks.

Hi, I think most tests are now done on paper (depending on the TOC I think) so you might want to try printing 5 sheets and practice that way.

Lee.P

Hi, I have a pending assessment in 2 weeks time and have been practising the download from Chris which has been useful (although I cant match the scores by some on this forum). However, the GBP test is a paper test (as specified in info pack). Can anybody advise where I can find examples of paper GBP tests so I can get a better feel of the test. Also would be useful if I had some more examples of memory test (TRP) multi questions on a passage of information. Any help and advice would be much appreciated, this is my first interview/assessment for many years (43years old after a complete career change), many thanks, Lee

Louby

Hi, I have a pending assessment in 2 weeks time and have been practising the download from Chris which has been useful (although I cant match the scores by some on this forum). However, the GBP test is a paper test (as specified in info pack). Can anybody advise where I can find examples of paper GBP tests so I can get a better feel of the test. Also would be useful if I had some more examples of memory test (TRP) multi questions on a passage of information. Any help and advice would be much appreciated, this is my first interview/assessment for many years (43years old after a complete career change), many thanks, Lee

I had to work with screen dumps then photo copies, but it worked! As for the trp just go in on the day is my best advise as you can't really practise any of the others part from the bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.