• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

raoa4x

Hi, I have my assessment day in Doncaster on the 26th jan, anyone have any advice on what to expect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

quick978

Tdk,

Sorry but that is the worst advice ever, I was given that same advice by a driver, he said "they are looking for accuracy don't go to fast" I heard the guys behind me going for it and I thought wow I am slow but at least mine will be accurate, I got 10 out of 25 lines on each page and I was on the early train home because of it, I asked the assessment officer why and she said I was accurate enough just to slow.

Saltire

Tdk,

Sorry but that is the worst advice ever, I was given that same advice by a driver, he said "they are looking for accuracy don't go to fast" I heard the guys behind me going for it and I thought wow I am slow but at least mine will be accurate, I got 10 out of 25 lines on each page and I was on the early train home because of it, I asked the assessment officer why and she said I was accurate enough just to slow.

May I suggest that if you've taken the time to count the number of rows on the sheet and how many you did on each one you've perhaps wasted a bit of time.
I was determined to be accurate and done about a third of rows on each sheet and that was good enough to pass.

dazzayid

I did myine in November and I did about 10 lines on each page and I passed. I did mine slowly and accurately that's the best advice I had. But I also practiced nearly every night to make sure I passed.

raoa4x

Thanks for this, hopefully a lot of practice will help. Does anyone know the breakdown of the assessment day at DB Shenker?

TDK

Established Member
Tdk,

Well you are completely incorrect as I used to be an assessor and 10 lines on each page is ample for a pass, you will probably find you were on the train home for other reasons and certainly wasn't for your GB results. Anyone reading this don't listen to quick978 as his post is complete bull.

dazzayid

Thanks for this, hopefully a lot of practice will help. Does anyone know the breakdown of the assessment day at DB Shenker?

I did mine with southern and they do the whole assessment in one day, apart from the MMI which I am still waiting for.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Don't forget that different TOC's have different pass marks for the Group Bourdon test.

Saltire

When I do the scaat test it says I have omitted a number of shapes that it didn't request?? does anybody else have this problem?

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure you marked what was asked for?
Remember on the SCAAT the characters change from line to line

putney

I passed the dots test. all I did was 10 rows on each page. I printed some of to test myself at home as this helped me a lot as the test was on paper. also the dots was more spread out on real test which is much easier. I would just do 10-11 lines on each page and u be ok

Sirgerbil

Tdk,

Not quite sure how that works, I got about 8-9 lines on average across the test and passed and according to ourrep from OPC, this TOC was looking for enhanced scores.

jaarus

Shall I take that as a no then?

Any response much appreciated.

SCAAT changes frequently and the one that trips up most people is when it gets a tad more complicated... not that its hard, more that people skim read the instructions.

One of the tests asks you to look for say < but this is as well as the first symbol of each line. So line one maybe < & O and line two maybe, < & ( etc etc.

To be honest, whilst fun it wont really help with the GB test.

I dont think any TOC does the SCAAT test - I maybe wrong?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hi,

On the group bourdon test sheets how much time is there between each change?

No time at all.
You search for 4 dot groups on sheet 1 until you hear the assessor call 'Change', and then you move to sheet 2 and continue....

Last edited:

NealFitz

It is surprising how quick the group bourden test goes. just work quickly and accurately. if you have any practice sheets or have the software tool, learning to recognise groups of 4 dots rather than counting them is a good tip!

It is surprising how quick the group bourden test goes. just work quickly and accurately. if you have any practice sheets or have the software tool, learning to recognise groups of 4 dots rather than counting them is a good tip!

All is good. :) i took all assessments and the mmi yesterday and passed the lot. happy days are here again.:D

Hopkins92529

This was my first go and it took me a minute to work out which buttons to press.

I missed 5 which I'm a little disappointed about

Bourdon first test.png

Is there hope for me?

All is good. :) i took all assessments and the mmi yesterday and passed the lot. happy days are here again.:D

Hi Waterfairy349 (You can probably guess my current profession from that hahaha),

Just thought I'd send you a message as you are local to where I'm relocating to (South Normanton). I've applied to East Midland Trains for the Depot driver role but as yet haven't heard a thing... I know a lot of people have been through testing for the same role already despite the closing date only being 09/01/15 which is a little frustrating.

Any hints and tips?

Regards,

Rich

Hi Waterfairy349 (You can probably guess my current profession from that hahaha),

Just thought I'd send you a message as you are local to where I'm relocating to (South Normanton). I've applied to East Midland Trains for the Depot driver role but as yet haven't heard a thing... I know a lot of people have been through testing for the same role already despite the closing date only being 09/01/15 which is a little frustrating.

Any hints and tips?

Regards,

Rich[/QUOTE]

Aup Rich,

My missus's dad is a train driver at East Midland trains so I'll give him a call and get back to you, he's been there most of his career so I'm sure he knows someone he might be able to ask. :)

As for hints and tips you will find thousands on here, all I will say is to not read everyone's comments and then panic... The tests are easily passable, just revise, print some Group Bourdon dot sheets off and keep practicing, once your practice material comes then take that opportunity to keep going over it all.

ROLO

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, I have my assesment next week. This is my first attempt today for GBT and I only got 7 rows on each sheet with none omitted and none incorrect. i asked someone already in the field and he says its better to have less errors than speed. Any suggestions on my result will be very helpful, Thanks

Group-Bourdon Result Statistics
Saved on 23/01/2015 at 15:38:33
-------------------------------

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ None
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 913
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.425
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.360

Completed Rows ------------- 34
Mean Row Time -------------- 10.591
Median Row Time ------------ 10.565

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 4.74

beagles_about

Hi, I've been called for my test, do Northern use paper or computer method? I've downloaded the file at the beginning of the thread and practising. How many tests will there be?

Hi, I've been called for my test, do Northern use paper or computer method? I've downloaded the file at the beginning of the thread and practising. How many tests will there be?

A strong guess from me would say that it will take on the same form as most GB tests under the new assessments and it will be pen and paper, 5 sets, each set lasting around 1 to 2 minutes.

TDK

Established Member
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum, I have my assesment next week. This is my first attempt today for GBT and I only got 7 rows on each sheet with none omitted and none incorrect. i asked someone already in the field and he says its better to have less errors than speed. Any suggestions on my result will be very helpful, Thanks

Group-Bourdon Result Statistics
Saved on 23/01/2015 at 15:38:33
-------------------------------

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ None
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 913
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.425
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.360

Completed Rows ------------- 34
Mean Row Time -------------- 10.591
Median Row Time ------------ 10.565

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 4.74

No errors is better than errors with speed as the statement that is quoted when taking these tests is "we are looking for consistence and accuracy" Keep the accuracy rather than trying to go too fast!

NealFitz

As you are practicing a good tip is to learn the combinations of 4 dots as they are limited so instead of counting the dots as you go recognising groups instead of counting will speed you up. however as above accuracy is key. The real test should be a paper test so I would print off practice sheets too to practice on

Ihopeipass

I have my assessment with DB on the 24th of Feb any hints or tips out there. Also how will the GB test appear, have been doing some practice ones in books and the grids are more clearly defined so it seems a bit easier to do than the downloadable one attached to this thread.

Cheers

I have my assessment with DB on the 24th of Feb any hints or tips out there. Also how will the GB test appear, have been doing some practice ones in books and the grids are more clearly defined so it seems a bit easier to do than the downloadable one attached to this thread.

Cheers

It's easier than the practice one, only 2 pattern formations of the 4 dots from what I remember and its pen and paper. Good luck, don't let this forum scare you into thinking its hard.

dazzayid

Best advice is to keep practicing, you will come to a point where u will get used to the shapes the four dots are in and it becomes a lot easier.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I printed off loads of sheets and got my wife of daughter to time me and shout change every two mins. She checked them while I did next page. Thing is some times u do great others you miss one and that's annoying. I stopped after a while as I did not want to get wound up if I kept making a mistake. I passed so all good in the end.

TDK

Established Member
Best advice is to keep practicing, you will come to a point where u will get used to the shapes the four dots are in and it becomes a lot easier.

I know this has been covered before but practicing the tests gives a false result of the candidates ability and I think it is cheating personally!

The One

Can you down load the bourdon test for Apple Mac systems if so where can I find it I did have it few moons back but it was for windows
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.