• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 158 cascade West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallel

Established Member
Well 766 was on Exeter earlier so must have been a double 150 on one diagram.
Sorry, I don't think I phrased that very well. JC reported two diagrams formed of 2 coaches. a 150 on one and I'm guessing 158763 on the other. Could be wrong though. 'Due to a different type of train forming this service, we are unable to honor any reservations that passengers have made' is the give away when a 150 works the services. Interesting that they now seem to have a procedure RE reservations when a 150 covers. Previously I have seen them enforce reservations on a 150/1 when it covered by sticking reservation cards in the back of the seats and bending them upwards!

It would be good if GWR ran 2 x 150 in the event of a 158 being unable to work but due to stock shortage, this very rarely happens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
(Replying to #271) The reason for reservation cards in a 150 is it happens frequently now and GWR don't want to let their passengers down with cases like these on long routes.

I wonder why you can't get catering in a 150 if the train isn't packed? Surely there's somewhere they can store the catering trolley.

Great_Western

166206 on 1B04 Frome - Cardiff this morning, which is normally formed of a 158/9 in my experience. Doesn't this diagram work back from Cardiff as a Portsmouth Harbour run?

D2007wsm

Established Member
(Replying to #271) The reason for reservation cards in a 150 is it happens frequently now and GWR don't want to let their passengers down with cases like these on long routes.

I wonder why you can't get catering in a 150 if the train isn't packed? Surely there's somewhere they can store the catering trolley.
Many years ago I have seen a 150/2 on a Portsmouth service and it had a trolley. Why can't they just wait behind one of the can be where the public don't generally go and move to the other side of the train should the crew need to open the door?

Don't the 150/2s have slots for reservation cards in the white mouldings on top of the seats and numbers on the overhead racks?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Many years ago I have seen a 150/2 on a Portsmouth service and it had a trolley. Why can't they just wait behind one of the can be where the public don't generally go and move to the other side of the train should the crew need to open the door?

Don't the 150/2s have slots for reservation cards in the white mouldings on top of the seats and numbers on the overhead racks?

ATW don't seem to have any problem with 150/2s and trolleys.

Kite159

Veteran Member

However the seats don't have any numbers anymore, the little round indent above the seat where a number once would have been has been replaced by a little GWR logo on some of the refurbished 150s.

Passengers on the Cardiff - Portsmouth route need to get used to having trains where you can't reserve seats when the Turbos take over, where it will be a free-for-all

Parallel

Established Member

They haven't done reservations on 150s for a while. The standard message pushed out online is 'owing to the change in the type of train forming this service today, we are unable to honor any seat reservations passengers may have for their journey' or something like that - I'm pretty sure they did (maybe still do?) have the seat numbers above the windows on stickets, though they were on top of the seats some time ago - maybe going back to Wessex days.

I have seen a RG trolley on a 150/2 covering the Pompey route a couple of times, but it is very rare. I'm wondering if there's something written into RG/GWR's contract regarding unit type in use and catering on the route...

I'm pretty sure I've rarely seen the catering trolley in a 153 when they had booked strengthening between Westbury and Cardiff in the peaks. The crew normally just waited at the last vestibule of the 158 (though I have seen it in the 153 on rare occasions)

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post.

Last edited:

Apedlar12

158766 ran 2C77 from Cardiff to Exeter earlier today therefore it should be on 2C69 to Plymouth tomorrow

JN114

Established Member
I believe it is a 158 (or 2) off 1V96 1547 Brighton to Bristol TM which is formed 4 Cars to work off Exeter Monday

150216 and 158766; although it is diagrammed to be 2x 2 Car 158s

JN114

Established Member
A 158 looks to have run this ECS tonight compared to last week when it was cancelled but it has terminated at Taunton and looks to be 2U02 tomorrow morning

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47033/2018/08/19/advanced

No, a train pathed as a 158 ran to Taunton - timing load is just the train type the timings are based on; not what actually ran. Sprinter, 158, and Turbo timings have been used around Bristol area relatively interchangeably.

This evening it was a 150/2.

nat67

Established Member
I'm not sure if anyone has already answered this or questioned it. but why couldn't the 158's just keep to working the Taunton-cardiff and HST's on the Exeter-Penzance route as of depot reasons.

ATW158Xpress

I'm not sure if anyone has already answered this or questioned it. but why couldn't the 158's just keep to working the Taunton-cardiff and HST's on the Exeter-Penzance route as of depot reasons.
I’m sure at some point once Turbo’s start operating Cardiff-Portsmouth services. The 158’s are set to operate Cardiff-Bristol-Exeter and beyond alongside the short HST’s instead of Turbos.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
And also because, in time, some of those services will become Cardiff-Plymouth/Penzance through trains. To utilise 8 HST GTi sets in diagram you need to go further than just operating in the far west.

Apedlar12

And also because, in time, some of those services will become Cardiff-Plymouth/Penzance through trains. To utilise 8 HST GTi sets in diagram you need to go further than just operating in the far west.
Any idea of when the 158s will start to pull out of the Cardiff <> Portsmouth and the turbos will begin to start?

Last edited:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Not at the moment - got to get the route cleared first and get some training done before a definite date is set.

387star

On Moderation
Shame those gti sets can't be used on pompey

Status
Not open for further replies.