• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most hated rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I'd like to nominate, not a whole class, but just one unit in particular. Those of you who used Thames Valley outer-suburban services may recall Class 104 set L704 (I think).

The occasions I used it, mid-'91 to '93, I thought it so bad, it was good. The DMBS interior seemed to be darkwood-panelling (unless it was merely grime), the vibrations under acceleration could remove dentures from mouths - and conversation could only be had by shouting. Best bit: the ingress of diesel fumes into the carriage saloon, even when the (poorly-fitting) window vents were closed.

Oh, they don't make 'em like they used to...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
I'd like to nominate, not a whole class, but just one unit in particular. Those of you who used Thames Valley outer-suburban services may recall Class 104 set L704 (I think).

The occasions I used it, mid-'91 to '93, I thought it so bad, it was good. The DMBS interior seemed to be darkwood-panelling (unless it was merely grime), the vibrations under acceleration could remove dentures from mouths - and conversation could only be had by shouting. Best bit: the ingress of diesel fumes into the carriage saloon, even when the (poorly-fitting) window vents were closed.

Oh, they don't make 'em like they used to...

This was a hybrid 104 / 108 unit (53477 + 51571).
I did travel over some rare track on this unit on 23/11/1991 when some Gospel Oak to Barking services were diverted to start from West Hampstead Thameslink (via Carlton Road Jct and Junction Road Jct).

I seem to remember around that time a 104 unit from the same pool running with bad wheel flats for months (can't remember which one).

plastictaffy

Gotta be the Voyagers. Not for any other reason apart from the fact that they displaced the long range 47's on the Cross-Country services. I remember, many moons ago, getting two of them (807 & 817, possibly, one was purple, in the Porterbrook livery) from Taunton to New Street when I worked in Somerset. The racket they made going up the Lickey was BIBLICAL!!! The purple one I believe was being conveyed DIT, which gave the other one a hell of a clearout!!!

I also used to get them regularly from New Street to Cov if I'd been up to Brum for whatever reason. I'd turn down my train - even though it meant a wait of nearly half an hour at Cov, just to hear the awesome racket they made through the tunnels on the way out of "The Hole"!!! They don't make 'em like they used to!!!

Last edited:

9K43

My most disliked was Shark Brake Vans.
Coming down from Standage Tunnel I had a Shark doing 45mph, with me in it.
I was on sea sick tablets for a month.
Sharks swim in the sea and guard rides on the engine.

Class 31's at 60mph, talk about rubber balls bouncing.

bronzeonion

So there is not likely to be any improvement in the quality of the trains in at least the next 12 months. Indeed perhaps nothing will improve until the arrival of the 319's. And given the delays with Thameslink procurement it's hard to see them arriving on time which is even worse as the wires will be up with nothing to use them!

Would hardly call that an improvement

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Would hardly call that an improvement

Oh i would!!!

Having been on the 319s regularly when i briefly used thameslink to commute and living in pacerland i can say that the 319s and leaps and bounds better than pacers. If they get a good refurb even more so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gotta be the Voyagers. Not for any other reason apart from the fact that they displaced the long range 47's on the Cross-Country services. I remember, many moons ago, getting two of them (807 & 817, possibly, one was purple, in the Porterbrook livery) from Taunton to New Street when I worked in Somerset. The racket they made going up the Lickey was BIBLICAL!!! The purple one I believe was being conveyed DIT, which gave the other one a hell of a clearout!!!

I also used to get them regularly from New Street to Cov if I'd been up to Brum for whatever reason. I'd turn down my train - even though it meant a wait of nearly half an hour at Cov, just to hear the awesome racket they made through the tunnels on the way out of "The Hole"!!! They don't make 'em like they used to!!!

That is not really a reason... :/ If you said woefully short and rattly interiors and uncomfortable vibrations and very poor toilets i would agree. (not the worst but not great)

bronzeonion

Oh i would!!!

Having been on the 319s regularly when i briefly used thameslink to commute and living in pacerland i can say that the 319s and leaps and bounds better than pacers. If they get a good refurb even more so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That is not really a reason... :/ If you said woefully short and rattly interiors and uncomfortable vibrations and very poor toilets i would agree. (not the worst but not great)

Thats true they are better than Pacers!

zoneking

I loathe Southern Class 455 when they are used for outer suburban journeys - eg Caterham, Tattenham Corner. Class 377s are much better. I would restrict 455s to inner suburban routes, such as West Croydon, Sutton, Crystal Palace. SWT 455s are better.

Having travelled on Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 and Mk4 carriages behind most of the now heritage diesel and electric loco's, many of the 1st Generation DMU and some EMU, most of the 2nd Generation DMU and EMU, I can confidently state that the Class 142 Pacer is without doubt the worst train I have ever travelled on and especially the Merseyrail ones.
For someone over 6ft tall these hateful conveyences are an absolute nightmare. Damp, smelly, cramped, noisy, dirty sheds of a train. The old Class 101's between Helsby and Rock Ferry were far more comfortable and in the early 80's these were knocking on 30 years old.
For those who think a Voyager or a 319 is a poor train, try a Merseyrail 142 on a wet evening in the peak. Truly, truly awful.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Oh i would!!!

If nothing else, they represent desperately-needed capacity improvements on Northern services. Of course, by the time they arrive, I'm sure growth will have outstripped any capacity improvements they were intended to bring! :lol:

pemma

Veteran Member
If nothing else, they represent desperately-needed capacity improvements on Northern services. Of course, by the time they arrive, I'm sure growth will have outstripped any capacity improvements they were intended to bring! :lol:

Porterbrook have offered an option for some to be reformed to 3 car and to have end corridor connectors fitted, which would allow 6 car formations.
http://www.porterbrook.com/downloads/brochures/319 Brochure.pdf

Whether or not it will happen is another question.

Established Member
Just remembered a time when I was on 142013, in the middle of it's refurb! It was forming the 17:13 NT from Manchester Oxford Road to Liverpool Lime Street, the guard had to turn people away at Deansgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.