• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nearly new 66's for GBRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
wnxx.com report that GBRF have acquired 3 hardly used Euro spec 66's that are to be brought to the UK and modified for use here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Do you know if they have been purchased outright or leased?

Thanks

fgwrich

Established Member
Knowing Europorte, and the amount of work involved in 'de-Europing' those 66s, i would say that it's more likely they've been purchased outright (as per the Ex Colas{ex Porterbrook} & ex Freightliner {ex Eversholt Rail}).

Unfortunatly there dosent seem to be any more news on this around the internet at the moment.

GB

Established Member
Unfortunatly there dosent seem to be any more news on this around the internet at the moment.

Not really much more to say. They are 9 months old but never been used and will be over here and converted for GB use by March 2013.

They need to be converted to UK standard gauge and the cab internals (controls etc) need swapping about as they are on the wrong side.

captainbigun

Not really much more to say. They are 9 months old but never been used and will be over here and converted for GB use by March 2013.

They need to be converted to UK standard gauge and the cab internals (controls etc) need swapping about as they are on the wrong side.

Do they have the rather large air con module on the roof that might be a small gauge hazard? Picture I saw had completely different controls, though that could've been a different batch.

GB

Established Member
Yep, aircon unit above each cab end.

Ive not seen any internal pictures but I remember hearing someone say the cab controls are the wrap around type.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Would it not be cheaper to take some of freightliner and give them the european ones for poland or something? Or Dont we have some surplus 66s about?

GB

Established Member
Depends what kind of deal they have got from these ones in Holland. Its not often you get the chance to purchase practically new class 66's.

captainbigun

Yep, aircon unit above each cab end.

Ive not seen any internal pictures but I remember hearing someone say the cab controls are the wrap around type.

Yep, those is they. One of your Scottish colleagues went to take a look.

fgwrich

Established Member
It seems these 66s have had a rather 'lightly used history'.

Picture of the Day 8 February 2011

During the site owners recent visit to Canada a visit was made to the Electro Motive Division plant in London, Ontario. During the course of the visit two of the final five Class 66s to be built at the plant were on final test track trials. These locos are from the 2007 order No. 8968 and were originally intended for CrossRail Benelux (originally known as DLC Cargo). After construction in September 2008 the locos were stored at Stratford in Canada before returning to the London plant in April 2009 for an extensive rebuild. in February 2011 locos Nos. 001, 003, 004, 006 and 007 of the order were still at the EMD plant. In this view of the test track, No. 2007-8968-004 is nearest the camera.
Colin J. Marsden

POD08-02-11.jpg

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Picture of the Day index/Old_POD_Feb2011.html

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Can you not just look in Loco trader?

or

You want used locomotive, i get you used locomotive, one careful owner, only dropped once, good price, full service history and air conditioning! Buy quickly, many interested buyers i give you first option and best deal!

BestWestern

Established Member
They look quite smart in that grey livery. Aircon modules look a bit daft though!

Skimble19

Established Member
So, if GBRF wanted, how many more of these could they buy? Guessing there must be a fair few over in mainland Europe.

gage75

surprising how even though they were intended for the euro market they were built to uk gauge specs and even have BR yellow warning panels :D

HSTEd

Veteran Member
.... Can we repaint all Class 66s in all over grey, they actually look rather nice in it.

Workmanlike.

BlythPower

surprising how even though they were intended for the euro market they were built to uk gauge specs and even have BR yellow warning panels :D

Far cheaper to just continue building UK-sized ones than spend out on a new design, components, construction jigs, etc.

sprinterguy

Established Member
How about two tone grey ,even better ;)
Yes! A proper livery for freight locomotives:
Trainload Coal 66

While I welcome the vibrant splash of colour and variety that privatisation has brought to the railfreight business, all these bright hues adorning the sides of freight locomotives seems quite alien to one used to them being painted in far more practical grey shades.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I thought they really suited the fastline livery
Agreed. Very much reminiscent of the trainload freight liveries.

Geezah1984

Will they be changing the light units on these or will they stay the same? Would be good if they keep them the same as I think they look smart.

marks87

Established Member
I was going to suggest that a cheap way of turning a 66 grey is just to send it out with the RHTT for a bit, but that picture seems to have beaten me to it...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whilst I wouldn't fancy doing a whole fleet of them I would really love to take a pressure washer to that 66. I think there would something very satisfying in cleaning that one train up.

455driver

Veteran Member
Whilst I wouldn't fancy doing a whole fleet of them I would really love to take a pressure washer to that 66. I think there would something very satisfying in cleaning that one train up.

Just for it to get as filthy again 2 days later.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I hate to ask since its really off topic.... but why are they using Class 66s for RHTT duties anyway? Surely MPVs would be more cost efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.