• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
Two 170s on the Leeds - Selby jobs today, is that new too? Should be seeing 170s on the Hull - Sheffield work in the not too distant future.

edit sorry I should read the thread!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
170474 and 477 on the Selby - Leeds diagrams today.

Indeed the 158’s are working York - Preston - York - Leeds - York then round again.

A big improvement on the local East Leeds services with (almost) guaranteed 158’s (mainly 3 car) and 170’s instead of the mish mash of pacers and sprinters. At least with Selby/York - Leeds stoppers being self contained services with decent turnaround times it should bring better timekeeping (TPE permitting).

PomWombat

I'm glad to see the 170's spreading around some ... but, phew, we still seemed to have the regular 5 on Harrogate diagrams today.

Yeah, I've long had that issue with 170 seats, but as the cushions are soft and the backs quite raked I always found slouching quite comfortable in these. Have Northern fitted harder cushions?
At 6'2, I find I can cope with the neckrest on the Scotrail seats, but the Northern seats do seem to dig in more. I also wondered if the cushions were changed, but perhaps the new stiffer cloth type makes the wings feel sharper?
The PIS is simply displaying "Turbostar Class 170".
It took over 5 months for them to start getting the Harrogate line displayed on the PIS. I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix!

Spartacus

Established Member
I wouldn’t worry much about the PIS, at least one of the TPE ones wouldn’t show anything but SWT destinations for ages!

rich r

General opinion from the Selby-Leeds regulars is that the 170's are amazing, though some find the seats a bit firm (I find them about right). Still plenty of people standing after Garforth though, so capacity isn't much different to a 3x 150/153/158 set. Most seem genuinely surprised that they're around 20 years old.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
General opinion from the Selby-Leeds regulars is that the 170's are amazing, though some find the seats a bit firm (I find them about right). Still plenty of people standing after Garforth though, so capacity isn't much different to a 3x 150/153/158 set. Most seem genuinely surprised that they're around 20 years old.

Be good if summer 2019 turns out to be like summer 2018, with (almost) guaranteed air-con. Makes me wish I lived near Cross Gates and commuted into Leeds... :D

Geeves

Established Member
Its in service today though not for long. 2C49 1511 York - leeds and 1659 Leeds - Knaresborough. Then retires for the evening.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Thanks - I duly rode on it on its final service of the day, this being my last 170 for haulage.

geoffk

Established Member
Looking at the timetable from tomorrow as part of the timetable change this weekend it looks like Leeds-Garforth-York/Selby stoppers have become self contained working with no through Calder valley workings (with the exception of a couple early morning and late evening workings). The through Calder valley service from Preston to York now in most cases calls only at Church Fenton between Leeds and York.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT
A bit unfortunate for any regular travellers between Church Fenton and Garforth (assuming there are any).

Dean Royd. This may have more to do with TPE diversions and the need for their new stock to be cleared to run on Calder Valley.

Work was done by Network Rail to allow route clearance for Northern's class 170s and 195s. Not sure about new TPE stock but it would have been prudent for the work to have been done at the same time.

geoffk

Established Member
So perhaps we can still expect 170s on the Leeds - Southport, as promised.

Is the 170 working Leeds - Huddersfield on the same diagram each day? I ask as I'm due to go to Leeds tomorrow.

Liverpool 507

That’s if 170’s make it to Southport as the Southport to Leeds service is getting swapped with the Wigan North Western to Alderley Edge service next year.

geoffk

Established Member
Looking that way, it’s been confirmed in the local press.
But Wigan NW - Alderley Edge (the current route) will be all electric. Southport - Alderley Edge will not. Isn't that the point of electrifying to Wigan NW? It's currently linked operationally to the Stalybridge service, which is also due to be all electric, requiring six units. In the meantime the 769s are due to be used on these services. I thought the complaint from Southport was withdrawal of services to the airport.

scrapy

Established Member
I very much doubt Wigan NW to Bolton (Lostock) will be electric next year seems to have gone very quiet. Likely to be 769s on Southport to Alderley.

Could be 170s on Wigan to Leeds and also Wigan to Stalybridge if this still Interworks.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But Wigan NW - Alderley Edge (the current route) will be all electric. Southport - Alderley Edge will not. Isn't that the point of electrifying to Wigan NW? It's currently linked operationally to the Stalybridge service, which is also due to be all electric, requiring six units. In the meantime the 769s are due to be used on these services. I thought the complaint from Southport was withdrawal of services to the airport.

Is Bolton-Wigan and Vic-Staly being electrified? Wasn't aware of either. This being the case it's 769s anyway.

They don't really care that much about the Airport, it's the Castlefield corridor they want.

geoffk

Established Member
Is Bolton-Wigan and Vic-Staly being electrified? Wasn't aware of either. This being the case it's 769s anyway.

They don't really care that much about the Airport, it's the Castlefield corridor they want.
Both these lines are supposed to be wired. The wires on the Lostock - Hindley line seem to extend further than the usual overlap, by which I mean the wires extending a short distance down a non-electrified line in case an electric unit is incorrectly routed - sorry don't know the official term. Northern and Network Rail need to have a plan and stick to it.

EIKN

What's happening on the scunthorpe line with northern are they getting rid of the Pacers and getting northern 170's or will they be 158's personally I like Both .
Some of the upgraded Scotrail 158 reminds me of the interior of s MK3 . But please if anyone knows what class of train is replacing the Scunthorpe Crowle Thorne south etc if appreciate it please guys .

Starmill

Veteran Member
Both these lines are supposed to be wired. The wires on the Lostock - Hindley line seem to extend further than the usual overlap, by which I mean the wires extending a short distance down a non-electrified line in case an electric unit is incorrectly routed - sorry don't know the official term. Northern and Network Rail need to have a plan and stick to it.
Bolton to Wigan is an option which is still apparently 'under consideration' after something like three years. There is a chance that funding will be found and they will go for it. It's not far, and benefits could be significant. Some estimates suggest that thr runoff that is already complete as part of Bolton go Preston is up to 5% of the necessary work done.

Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge was already authorised and we all thought was a a sure thing, in much the same way that people thought Oxford was a sure thing. As I understand it has now been delayed indefinitely. It has not been firmly cancelled, as the Lakes line was and Swansea has been, for example.

superkev

Established Member
Not sure its been reported here but I believe the latest ex Scotrail 170s have first class.
Also are all but 2 is the 16 promised now at NL?
K

PomWombat

Not sure its been reported here but I believe the latest ex Scotrail 170s have first class.
Also are all but 2 is the 16 promised now at NL?
K

Yes, I've been in the unrestricted 1st class compartment a couple of times this week - first times it has been seen. One at each end of the train.

I wonder how long they'll last.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
170454 (an unrefurbished example) is on Huddersfield duties today. Currently sat in the first class section all on my lonesome... RTT says standard class only so I'm staying put!

Status
Not open for further replies.