• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground/Crossrail takeover of Greater Anglia inners

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does that mean that a journey from Amersham (zone 9) to Shenfield (to be zone 9) avoing zone 1 using LO from West Hampstead to Stratford Regional, would be cheaper than an all-zones journey?

Shenfield won't be zone 9, it will keep its National Rail fare set by GA. (Like Watford Jn is set by LM.)

Looks as if Brentwood will be the only station in zone 9 on that route.

(Always assuming the map extract doing the rounds on twitter is correct...)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TransportHub

Anyway, it seems Oyster won't be extending this year and we'll just get The Key. I assume I can't use the Key at all places where you can use Oyster, so if I get the prepaid Keygo card (assuming we get that), then I'll still need to switch between the Key and Oyster on my travels from Hatfield to Cheshunt, which is going to be a PITA but slightly less so than paper/Oyster, on account of not having to buy a ticket before travel.

I am pretty sure the Key is accepted all over London even on buses (but only on a travel card)
https://www.southernrailway.com/smart-card/

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine there will be a lot more revenue protection officers around both lines from day one, both on the train and at the station.

Just to show any potential fare dodgers who have been getting away with free travel between unbarriered stations that there is a new boss in town.

Shunter_69

There is a 317/7 in the workshop at Ilford in full LO livery including the orange doors and LO roundels. Looks quite smart.

AM9

Veteran Member
Shenfield won't be zone 9, it will keep its National Rail fare set by GA. (Like Watford Jn is set by LM.)

Looks as if Brentford will be the only station in zone 9 on that route.

(Always assuming the map extract doing the rounds on twitter is correct...)

OK so to my question about a zone 9 to 9 journey not via zone 1, that would be the same to Brentwood (not Brentford), i.e. at a lower price than via Central London. This would presumably involve touching a pink validator somewhere en route.

387star

On Moderation
There is a 317/7 in the workshop at Ilford in full LO livery including the orange doors and LO roundels. Looks quite smart.

Brilliant! Not sure anyone expected that

Is this the unit misreported to be 317340 in thameslink livery or has that one been painted too?

bicbasher

Established Member

An unexpected surprise considering how low key the Silverlink rebrand was, although London Overground as a brand is more high profile now.

Class377/5

Established Member
An unexpected surprise considering how low key the Silverlink rebrand was, although London Overground as a brand is more high profile now.

And they said they didn't want to devalue the brand previously?

And they said they didn't want to devalue the brand previously?

With the NLL 313s there was nothing done apart from the LO banners on the sides and the 3+2 seating made into 2+2. From what we can gather the 315/317s will be getting internally and externally refurbished which will only add value from a passenger perspective.

mattdickinson

Not yet it's not. It's valid on certain lines but even on Thameslink it only goes as far as City Thameslink until it's rolled out on the former FCC routes in autumn.

Out boundary to Zones 1-6 Travelcards have been available for about six months on The Key. There are no products available to Zones 7-9, Watford Junction, Broxbourne or Shenfield however.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I am pretty sure the Key is accepted all over London even on buses (but only on a travel card)
https://www.southernrailway.com/smart-card/

Not yet it's not. It's valid on certain lines but even on Thameslink it only goes as far as City Thameslink until it's rolled out on the former FCC routes in autumn.

The key word is travelcard. If the ticket on the key is a season ticket including a zones 1-6 travelcard then it can be used at all stations within zones 1-6 and on all buses/trams.

450.emu

Does anyone know why it doesn't have a connector to South Tottenham?

I was looking at the map and it's not exactly a quick dash over to the NLL from Hackney Downs to Hackney Central, more of an awkward 10 minute walk along threatening streets (I used to live in the area, and from time to time maintain the Tribute ticket machines there)... as for Bruce Grove and Edmonton Green, I hope LO have better success than Later Angrier maintaining those stations... just wait till they see the ticket office at Theobalds Grove that leaks each time it rains :oops: :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's quite amazing. Admittedly it's fairly small group of people that just post the same drivel over and over, egged on by RTs and engagement by the various anti-AGA Twitter accounts that love to **** stir, so probably not quite as widespread as it seems.

It's a wonder AGA has any time to deal with any other queries.

I wonder how long until the honeymoon period ends and TfL starts to get all the grief?
Like Geri Halliwell's marriage, I give it a year :roll: TfL will find this route more 'challenging' than the NLL which passes through the more gentrified suburbs of Kew and Hampstead, the Enfield Town line has been crying out for general maintenance and improvement for years (that includes the local populace of Hackney, Tottenham and Edmonton -- enjoy! :) )

Though most of the fare dodgers will switch to the 149 bus when the New Routemasters arrive in October (where tapping in with your Oyster or bank card is down to conscience and minimal chance of getting caught) which runs from Edmonton into Liverpool Street and onto London Bridge.

One potential banana skin may be the aging OHLE which may cause issues (not sure how much has been replaced past Cambridge Heath, if at all), though the line speeds aren't high on the route. If they maintain the stock well enough, there should be no issues.

As long as TfL can smarten up the 315's and get rid of that ghastly pink interior (and fit seats that dont dislodge at the slightest touch, or are filthy), I think people won't kick off too much ;)
West Ealing to Greenford will stay with First Great Western, well called GWR by then. Though I doubt that odd arrangement will stay for long.
They should electrify that line, makes no sense to keep diesels on that branch line.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
OK so to my question about a zone 9 to 9 journey not via zone 1, that would be the same to Brentwood (not Brentford), i.e. at a lower price than via Central London. This would presumably involve touching a pink validator somewhere en route.

Yes that would be right and would follow what happens now for outer zones. Sorry I was a bit terse with my post, I was only trying to point out that you couldn't infer from the evidence so far that Shenield would also be in zone 9.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Why shouldn't it be in zone 9 if that gives the required fare?
Is there a rule that requires zones 7 and 8 to be used first? I don't think so.

No, but it will seem stupid to a lot of people using it. Especially when Epping is Zone 6 and Bushey is Zone 8 and the next station, only 3 mins away is Zone 6!
Brilliant! Not sure anyone expected that

Is this the unit misreported to be 317340 in thameslink livery or has that one been painted too?

Around 3-4 weeks ago, I defiantly saw a 317 with light blue doors at Ilford - I just assumed it was for Great Northern.

Clip

Established Member
I was looking at the map and it's not exactly a quick dash over to the NLL from Hackney Downs to Hackney Central, more of an awkward 10 minute walk along threatening streets (I used to live in the area, and from time to time maintain the Tribute ticket machines there)... .

Oh Hackney has very much changed since then - its all top knots and beards generally. However TfL have been busy building a covered walkway to join the two stations up which will keep you from street level and those nasty threatening people.

LeeLivery

Established Member
I was looking at the map and it's not exactly a quick dash over to the NLL from Hackney Downs to Hackney Central, more of an awkward 10 minute walk along threatening streets (I used to live in the area, and from time to time maintain the Tribute ticket machines there)... as for Bruce Grove and Edmonton Green, I hope LO have better success than Later Angrier maintaining those stations... just wait till they see the ticket office at Theobalds Grove that leaks each time it rains :oops: :roll:

Like Geri Halliwell's marriage, I give it a year :roll: TfL will find this route more 'challenging' than the NLL which passes through the more gentrified suburbs of Kew and Hampstead, the Enfield Town line has been crying out for general maintenance and improvement for years (that includes the local populace of Hackney, Tottenham and Edmonton -- enjoy! :) )

As long as TfL can smarten up the 315's and get rid of that ghastly pink interior (and fit seats that dont dislodge at the slightest touch, or are filthy), I think people won't kick off too much ;)

They should electrify that line, makes no sense to keep diesels on that branch line.

The Hackney stations have a (quite ugly) link bridge opening shortly. The Walthamstow stations as far as I'm aware of don't - I could be wrong, but that walk isn't exactly short. Seven Sisters to South Tottenham and Harringay Grn Lns to Harringay are both closer together. As for the 315s many people are sceptical as many have a feeling it will just be another "paint job" over old bangers like WAGN, FGW, NXEA & AGA, while others seem too hyped thinking the lines will be like the ELL over night, already moaning that Chingford trains don't call at London Fields and Cambridge Heath - like anyone would actually use it from there. TfL will have a hard time with these routes, the first set of peak time delays, their twitter team will find it challenging to say the least.

I agree the Greenford Branch should be electrified and I find it odd that the DfT didn't chuck it on to the 2015-2017 take overs. However can the cost justify it yet?

Stats

Incorrect. The Key loaded with a travelcard can be used anywhere Oyster can.

Clip

Established Member
already moaning that Chingford trains don't call at London Fields and Cambridge Heath - like anyone would actually use it from there.

Yet people do actually use those stations. All day long too.

Clip

Established Member
Not enough to justify 8tph, slowing down the Chingford trains, and causing a little bit of a timetabling headache.

I never said it did or didn't, just countering the point of the person who I quoted who said no one uses those stations.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
presumably there's a good enough connection at Hackney Downs for anyone who really wants to travel Chingford Branch to Cambridge Heath/London Fields?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
presumably there's a good enough connection at Hackney Downs for anyone who really wants to travel Chingford Branch to Cambridge Heath/London Fields?

Service is more frequent than every 15 minutes so there is always a reasonable connection.

TransportHub

The key word is travelcard. If the ticket on the key is a season ticket including a zones 1-6 travelcard then it can be used at all stations within zones 1-6 and on all buses/trams.
That is what I meant day travelcards have not yet been added

Aictos

Established Member
Incorrect. The Key loaded with a travelcard can be used anywhere Oyster can.

As I currently use a Oyster with a PTAC discount, I wonder if I be able to keep the PTAC discount with the Key provided there's funds on it as be so handy to just have one smartcard instead of two...

Back on topic though, I wonder if LOROL and Crossrail will be able to deliver the investment that is needed on these lines as it be interesting to see a comparison in service quality from now then in 18 months time.

Class377/5

Established Member
As I currently use a Oyster with a PTAC discount, I wonder if I be able to keep the PTAC discount with the Key provided there's funds on it as be so handy to just have one smartcard instead of two...

Back on topic though, I wonder if LOROL and Crossrail will be able to deliver the investment that is needed on these lines as it be interesting to see a comparison in service quality from now then in 18 months time.

No your not. Key doesn't support staff discounts.

And if appears I missed the point on period travelcards being available now.

transmanche

Established Member
I see no reason why they can't. LOROL have done it already for the existing LO network and the noticeable things like deep cleans and staffing-from-start-to-end-of-service are already planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.