• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places with disused 1st Gen tramlines still embedded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

That's the "Weymouth quay tramway" already mentioned- and the real plan is to lift the rails subject to the formal procedure being carried out (apaperwork) as Network Rail wouldn't mind shot of it, there's little or no chance of services down there (no matter how much enthusiaists want them) and it would make the quay a slightly safer place if it doesn't have shiny metal/slots running along it.

I still dont understand how its a tramway as it was only ever served by normal mainline services. And there is a plan to reopen it as a frieght company (think its Freightliner) want to tun trains down to the docks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

Apologies, I hit the send button before I meant to as I decidedto have a look at Maryfield Tram Depot on Google Earth to get an update on the situation. Here is the screen grab that I took.

MaryfieldTramDepotGooglerEarth.jpg

As you can see there are still tram lines in situe. It also looks like it is no longer a Bus depot.

Lrd

Established Member
I still dont understand how its a tramway as it was only ever served by normal mainline services. And there is a plan to reopen it as a frieght company (think its Freightliner) want to tun trains down to the docks.
Source? Last thing I heard was NR and Weymouth council want rid of it and were gonna fill the gaps with easyish to remove tarmac/sand. To help the poor cyclists.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks so much for all the links and images guys! It's fascinating (to me), I'm gonna have to start visiting these places... :)

John Webb

Established Member

The term 'Tramway' was used for short branches, mineral lines and the like, not only for street tramways carrying passengers. This has caused confusion for many years. The Weymouth line has always been referred to as a 'Tramway' - I think it's possibly what it was called in the act that allowed it to be built.

The Colonel

There used to be a reserved track in Trawden Lancs where the Burnley Colne & Nelson Joint Corporation Tramways ran behind some houses up to the terminus, which in latter years was a bus turning circle. The trams ceased in 1935 but the cobbles had gaps where the rails used to be, even in the late 60's/early 70's and it was distinctly recogniseable as a former tramline. Google earth doesn't show it in enough detail as I've just looked. The trams were also to the unusual guage of 4'.

table38

Established Member
There are a couple of pictures on page 92 of this month's (free downloadable) Railtalk magazine (Issue 71) showing the old tram tracks on Drake Street in Rochdale, exposed by the current Metrolink works.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Beresford Square, Woolwich, London, SE18, saw its last tram in July 1952. The tracks, mainly tarmaced over, were there until the late 1970s, when I left the area. Soon afterwards the square (used for a market) was smartened up, which included removing the tramlines. So they lasted nearly 30 years after the trams had gone!

A few minutes walk from Beresford Square towards the Thames (just behind the Heritage Centre) here's a very short (few metres) piece of some kind of narrow gauge rail track visible and obviously preserved, with what looks like an old goods waggon sitting on it. I've no idea what it was originally, so it's only a guess that it *might* have been part of a tramway. I'd be curious if anyone does know more, but there's a small chance it might be another answer to martin2345uk's question.

34D

Established Member
In Leeds, there are tram tracks inside the (closed) kirkstall road bus depot, a bit of line is currently/recently visible on the surface at Temple Newsam, and the old tram depot in morley (until demolition 5ish years ago) also had rails outside it.

Also, Jack Lane has rails left in which cross the road (serving the various former loco builders premises).

bus man

Firth Park roundabout in Sheffield

Do you mean these unlevel42 :D:D:D:D

DSCN1039408996a.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks so much for all the links and images guys! It's fascinating (to me), I'm gonna have to start visiting these places... :)

The ones listed are the ones that are exposed all the time there are also temp exposures (:D) where one gets a brief sometimes very brief glance of track

FSY 69031 passes road works exposing tram tracks on moorhead Sheffield
S1

DSCN1039405297.jpg

Work is currently taking place on The Moor Sheffield which is exposing track as work progresses

The above picutre shows both the lines for the from city track and one of the the too city tracks

These were last used on the last day of sheffield trams in Oct 1960 there was connection to a single line which ran off allong the road tot he right this was an emergancey line which came out opoisite sheffield midland station

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I still dont understand how its a tramway as it was only ever served by normal mainline services. .....

As far as Iam aware it is (was) designated as a tramway under the railway act to enable it to be used.

The track goes though streets so there fore there were several things they had to do like have a bell on the loco and points men in front , if it had been designated as a railway then it would have to be fenced off.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
A few minutes walk from Beresford Square towards the Thames (just behind the Heritage Centre) here's a very short (few metres) piece of some kind of narrow gauge rail track visible and obviously preserved, with what looks like an old goods waggon sitting on it. I've no idea what it was originally, so it's only a guess that it *might* have been part of a tramway. I'd be curious if anyone does know more, but there's a small chance it might be another answer to martin2345uk's question.
Sorry - only just picked this up - it's a sample of the 18inch narrow gauge system that used to operate in the Arsenal which it was in active service.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I live in Blackpool & to my knowledge the tram tracks on all the closed routes are still under the tarmac & in several locations where the road surface is worn out, the track can still be seen.

34D

Established Member
I live in Blackpool & to my knowledge the tram tracks on all the closed routes are still under the tarmac & in several locations where the road surface is worn out, the track can still be seen.

So Blackpool had more tram routes that what we see today? Where did the others go then?

Whistler40145

Established Member
There was a route from North Pier to South Pier via Clifton Street, Abingdon Street, Church Street, Whitegate Drive, Waterloo Road, Lytham Road & Station Road. This was known as the Marton Route.

Another route was along Dickson Road to Gynn Square & called at the old Blackpool North (now Wilkinsons).

Going even further back in time, a line existed from Starr Gate to Lytham.

Also, another route went to Layton, I think this was along Talbot Road.

I don't know if all or part of the above routes tracks are fully intact.

Hope all this info helps.

marks87

Established Member
Apologies, I hit the send button before I meant to as I decidedto have a look at Maryfield Tram Depot on Google Earth to get an update on the situation. Here is the screen grab that I took.
As you can see there are still tram lines in situe. It also looks like it is no longer a Bus depot.
There some down at City Quay as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/SqYfh

MJBryan1979

There are first generation Tram lines still used to run a museum tramway in Manchester for the Heaton Park Tramway, part of the line is still in place from its original workings.

Martin Bryan

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Is there anymore info on this proposal as my google search didn't appear to turn up anything.

I can't really understand the attitude of those that want to fill in/tear up the tramlines. Other towns seem to manage with them and it's not as though there aren't plenty of other routes across Weymouth that cyclists can use.

There are also some old tramlines embedded in Folkestone Harbour (in the area underneath the Harbour Viaduct) but I don't know whether they were ever attached to the big railway.

Eagle

Established Member
Is there anymore info on this proposal as my google search didn't appear to turn up anything.

There is no such proposal. Wouldn't make sense anyway as Weymouth port doesn't handle freight at all, it's just a smallish passenger ferry terminal.

I can't really understand the attitude of those that want to fill in/tear up the tramlines. Other towns seem to manage with them and it's not as though there aren't plenty of other routes across Weymouth that cyclists can use.

Because unlike all the other examples, they are still owned by Network Rail, who are still nominally in charge of maintaining them, and it's NR who want rid of them (despite the fact that they are de jure still part of the national rail network as they have only ever been closed "temporarily" as opposed to a formal closure).

The other examples are owned by councils, who are free to let them rot as they have no obligation to maintain them since the lines have been formally closed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Because unlike all the other examples, they are still owned by Network Rail, who are still nominally in charge of maintaining them, and it's NR who want rid of them (despite the fact that they are de jure still part of the national rail network as they have only ever been closed "temporarily" as opposed to a formal closure).

I wonder how easy it would be for NR to get rid of them. It might be better for them to knuckle down with Weymouth Council and make the most of them as a tourist opportunity.

Eagle

Established Member
It might be better for them to knuckle down with Weymouth Council and make the most of them as a tourist opportunity.

How?

There is zero chance that regular trains will run on them again, given the huge disruption and difficulty they caused. The only sensible option is to get them completely, properly, legally closed. And then let them rot or tear them up.

They have no use anymore.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
How?

There is zero chance that regular trains will run on them again, given the huge disruption and difficulty they caused. The only sensible option is to get them completely, properly, legally closed. And then let them rot or tear them up.

They have no use anymore.

Huge disruption ? It hardly runs through the busiest streets in the first place. The harbour area is a great little destination and no doubt plenty of charters could make a day of it. And there are still boats to the Channel Islands.

Eagle

Established Member
Charters possibly would be used, but it's seriously not worth keeping a line open just for that.

Also the disruption I was talking about was to the King Street junction, which is on the main road out of the town centre.

Weymouth ferry terminal is a ten-minute walk from the main rail station (and a train between the two would take longer than that due to the prohibitively low linespeeds and saftey measures), so there's no point in making boat trains.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Charters possibly would be used, but it's seriously not worth keeping a line open just for that.

Probably not from Network Rail's point of view admittedly. But if they and the town could come to an arrangement it could be a unique selling point. Folkestone Harbour has existed in the same vein for a few years, but it is burdened by a lot more heavy infrastructure, so Weymouth would probably be the more sustainable case in the long term.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
:lol::P W&PBC want nothing to do with this line (that's probably part of the reason that it hasn't been gifted to them to tear up or surface over or whatever).

I think they're missing a trick !

Status
Not open for further replies.