• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
158s have different engines, and even the subclass /8 shares Perkins and Cummins engines.
True, but it is at least a difference!

It's not simply a new class number for the sake of having a desirable number for branding/advertising, having a different number to be different from other TOCs, or having a different number just 'cos!

XAM2175

Established Member
From that video it looks like most of the seats in the intermediate carriages are set round tables AND align with the windows! The Coach D experience lives on!
Looks to me like 8 tables per intermediate - that's not bad by modern standards (though the 76 seat Mk3 had 10). If aligned to windows the legroom will be excellent - the 80x windows are First Class bay sized. Should be a bit Chiltern-Mk3-esque by the looks of it!

I'm fairly surprised they're not shouting loudly about this kind of upgrade - TPE did of the 397s.
Yeah, seeing that has dramatically increased my interest in them.

Neptune

Established Member
158s have different engines, and even the subclass /8 shares Perkins and Cummins engines.
The only 158 subclass is the 158/9 (metro train units with only 1 toilet and 2 more seats per coach as built). Those numbered 1588xx are simply a continuation beyond 158799.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Definitely a huge improvement in table quantity and window alignment from the 390’s, good to see!

anamyd

On Moderation
The only 158 subclass is the 158/9 (metro train units with only 1 toilet and 2 more seats per coach as built). Those numbered 1588xx are simply a continuation beyond 158799.
Yes! And the Cummins/Perkins thing was BR's dual supplier policy, whereas the 805s actually have updated engines (compared to 802s) which supposedly have lower emissions and also may be quieter.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Yes! And the Cummins/Perkins thing was BR's dual supplier policy, whereas the 805s actually have updated engines (compared to 802s) which supposedly have lower emissions and also may be quieter.
What is the engine specification in 805s?

jackot

I'm guessing this is done by making them Stage V emissions compliant compared to being IIIB like the 802s

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I feel like I always nit pick about this but I find the black front an odd decision when the pendolinos are yellow.

Established Member
Is there anyone ‘in the know’, know if the 805 will live on Tuesday and to Old Dalby, now that the line between Melton and Peterborough is closed due to the bridge bash?

the sniper

Established Member
I feel like I always nit pick about this but I find the black front an odd decision when the pendolinos are yellow.

It somewhat seems like the designers sticking two fingers up at those who have misgivings about them being allowed, particularly when they result in a non uniform livery, where yellow works nicely on the units that require it. They do it because they can, rather than because there's any need for it.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
It somewhat seems like the designers sticking two fingers up at those who have misgivings about them being allowed, particularly when they result in a non uniform livery, where yellow works nicely on the units that require it. They do it because they can, rather than because there's any need for it.
Yet there are two words in common with all of them.. First Group.

Domh245

Established Member
Yet there are two words in common with all of them.. First Group.

And yet, other First Group TOCs (GWR & SWR) have got consistent yellow front ends, despite fleets (80x & 701 respectively) which could run without them!

irish_rail

Established Member
As a driver I hate the black fronts. When the sunlight reflects off them (for me its the crossrail stuff between Reading and Padd) it tends to dazzle me. I've thought about contacting ciras over this but decided not to. Black fronts in my opinion have absolutely no advantage and in my opinion don't look better either!

Sm5

I thought 158/8’s were originally built as 3 car for Transpennine services, as opposed to the 2 cars in the rest of the fleet.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I thought 158/8’s were originally built as 3 car for Transpennine services, as opposed to the 2 cars in the rest of the fleet.
The original 3-cars were just 158/0s.

The only other subclass being the ten units of the 158/9 subclass for West Yorkshire PTE which had a few internal detail differences over the standard 158s, such as only one toilet pet set and modified seating density.

Neptune

Established Member
158798-158814 were the original 3 cars sets (actually they ran as 2 cars for a while until the centre car was added).

As I said there is no such thing as a 158/8 sub class.

JaJaWa

Established Member
And yet, other First Group TOCs (GWR & SWR) have got consistent yellow front ends, despite fleets (80x & 701 respectively) which could run without them!
Level crossings are also a factor and are why GA had to re-add yellow fronts to their new trains.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Level crossings are also a factor and are why GA had to re-add yellow fronts to their new trains.
I agree with everyone else about it being a questionable design decision but I also think that Level Crossings are clearly not the only reason since they are planned to operate on lines with LCs and UWCs (Flint for example)