• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query regarding Victoria line 1967 stock and Metropolitan line A stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
So when can they switch on the regen braking so we can all cool down?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
Thursday 30th June is confirmed to be the final day of operation for the 1967 stock..

Train 247 will be specially marked as the last officail train during the evening pakr it will work the following:

Northumberland Park depot 15:42 Brixton 16:22

Brixton 16:25
Seven Sisters 16:58

Seven Sisters 17:10 Brixton 17:40

Brixton 17:43
Seven Sisters 18:16

Seven Sisters 18:29 Brixton 18:59

Brixton 19:01
Seven Sisters 19:32

Seven Sisters 19:34
Northumberland Park depot 19:43 stable.

Was on the last public workings by 1967 stock (3059 + 3079 doing the honours). The last southbound trip was held up due to a faulty train at Vauxhall, and arrived at Brixton about 20 min late. The front coach on the last nortbound working was completely wedged with enthusiasts, and even a TV camera crew. Highlight of the evevning was a big round of applause on the platform at Seven Sisters as the empty stock departed for Northumberland Park for the last time.

1967 stock R. I. P.

causton

Established Member
Was on the last public workings by 1967 stock (3059 + 3079 doing the honours). The last southbound trip was held up due to a faulty train at Vauxhall, and arrived at Brixton about 20 min late. The front coach on the last nortbound working was completely wedged with enthusiasts, and even a TV camera crew. Highlight of the evevning was a big round of applause on the platform at Seven Sisters as the empty stock departed for Northumberland Park for the last time.

1967 stock R. I. P.

I was in the first carriage, and it was packed whilst the rest of the train was empty... until the rest of the train filled up with passengers seemingly unaware of the train's significance. I was waiting at 7pm to catch it northbound at Pimlico but heard a familiar sound coming down the opposite platform, and lo and behold it was in the platform! I was next to the middle cabs and then on the way back I moved up to the first car where I met Mojo. Was worth going over the time limit on my Oyster journey for! :D

Edit: 3 not-very-good photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/0causton0/5889320128/

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was on the last public workings by 1967 stock (3059 + 3079 doing the honours). The last southbound trip was held up due to a faulty train at Vauxhall, and arrived at Brixton about 20 min late.
The delay was actually caused by a near miss on the Northbound caused by a trespasser walking off the end of the platform at Vauxhall.

Dstock7080 - if you wouldn't mind, like before, do you have any info on what's being done during the next several Victoria line closures?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Dstock7080 - if you wouldn't mind, like before, do you have any info on what's being done during the next several Victoria line closures?
Saturday and Sunday 2/3 July
Victoria Line
No service throughout the Line.
Engineering work between Brixton and Walthamstow Central and station modernisation work at Oxford Circus and Victoria.

Saturday and Sunday 6/7 August
Victoria Line
No service between King’s Cross and Walthamstow Central.
Reduced services throughout the Line.
Signalling Work at Finsbury Park.

Saturday and Sunday 17/18 September
Victoria Line
No service throughout the line.
Engineering work between Brixton and Walthamstow Central.

Sunday 18 September (effective Mon 19)
Victoria Line
NEW WORKING TIMETABLE 23.
(Off-peak services on Mondays to Fridays will be enhanced by 2tph between Brixton and Seven Sisters. A 23tph service will operate on this section.)

Saturday and Sunday 2/3 July
Victoria Line
No service throughout the Line.
Engineering work between Brixton and Walthamstow Central and station modernisation work at Oxford Circus and Victoria.

Saturday and Sunday 6/7 August
Victoria Line

Victoria Line

Victoria Line
(Off-peak services on Mondays to Fridays will be enhanced by 2tph between Brixton and Seven Sisters. A 23tph service will operate on this section.)

Thank you so much...!

317 forever

Established Member
I am also grateful for your news of Victoria Line engineering works. It confirms that it should indeed be possible to ride an 09 stock train on the August Bank Holiday now!

tom1649

The delay was actually caused by a near miss on the Northbound caused by a trespasser walking off the end of the platform at Vauxhall.

I hear of this happening a lot. If they were clever enough to walk into a dark tube tunnel with a full service running, I'm surprised said trespasser had the intelligence not to tread on the conductor rails and zap themselves.

Established Member
I was on the last workings all evening, in 3159 most of the time but I did go in 3079 for the last Northbound working. Was a good evening, farewell 1967TS.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I am also grateful for your news of Victoria Line engineering works. It confirms that it should indeed be possible to ride an 09 stock train on the August Bank Holiday now!
Unfortunately, an update to the information supplied has come to light:

Saturday and Sunday 6/7 August POSTPONED possibly to Late Summer Holiday
Victoria Line

Victoria Line

Victoria Line

317 forever

Established Member
Unfortunately, an update to the information supplied has come to light:

Saturday and Sunday 6/7 August POSTPONED possibly to Late Summer Holiday
Victoria Line

Thank you for preparing me. I did notice on the TfL website that the Victoria Line is now destined to be closed north of King's Cross on the August Bank Holiday. I can still ride the central section of the line. It puts paid to my idea to ride a London Overground class 172 to Blackhorse Road to connect with a Victoria Line class 09 there.

Also, as the Met is closed for a chunk of the route north of Wembley Park I doubt there will be many S class trains operating then. I shall thus not try tracking one down (pardon the pun!) at this stage.

GospelOak117

Also, as the Met is closed for a chunk of the route north of Wembley Park I doubt there will be many S class trains operating then. I shall thus not try tracking one down (pardon the pun!) at this stage.

I have travelled most of the length of the Metropolitan line (as far north as Moor Park) twice over the past week, waited at Harrow-on-the-Hill and Baker Street and have not seen a single S-stock train in service yet :(............still, I am never disappointed to get some good old A-stock rides in.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What does the future hold for the 1967 stock? The Isle of Wight?

Scrap, sadly. One DM has been preserved by the Transport Museum.

The Isle of Wight are expecting to keep the 1938 stock in service until at least the end of the current South West Trains franchise. It's expected that their replacement will be the 1973 stock from the Piccadilly line.

tom1649

Scrap, sadly. One DM has been preserved by the Transport Museum.

The Isle of Wight are expecting to keep the 1938 stock in service until at least the end of the current South West Trains franchise. It's expected that their replacement will be the 1973 stock from the Piccadilly line.

At least it looks like the future of the line is secure as a proper rail operation. When I last travelled on the line in 2000 there was talk of the line closing or being converted to light rail. There was even a mention that the dreaded guided busway might have been an option.

1967 stock would have needed a conventional deadman's traction/brake controller fitting and all the ATO equipment taken out before they could be run on the Isle of Wight. I'm not sure how big a job this would have been.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The Piccadilly Line stock, given another refresh, would look like brand new trains. Bombardier did a really good job refurbishing these (I felt obliged to say something good about them!).

But hasn't the planned replacement been heavily delayed?

Dstock7080

Established Member
One 8-car train remains at Northumberland Park and several cars remain at Acton Works awaiting removal.

Established Member
Is the plan to keep some 67's back to work with the 72's on an extended Bakerloo line to Watford Junction not on the cards anymore then?

Unfortunately, TfL have decided that the Bakerloo extension to Watford Junction won't happen until after the Bakerloo has been upgraded. Which will be some years away...

Dstock7080

Established Member
To update my previously posted info:

Saturday, Sunday and Monday 27/28/29 August
Victoria Line
Signalling Work at Finsbury Park and Saturday only, Station Works at Blackhorse Road.

Victoria Line

Victoria Line

Saturday and Sunday 22/23 October (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Victoria Line
Engineering work between Brixton and Walthamstow Central

12CSVT

Established Member
I know this probably isn't in the right thread, but have Victoria Line 2009 stock units 11001+11002, 11003+11004 and those numbered from 11085+11086 onwards entered service yet ?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I had 11085 / 11086 for haulage about two weeks ago; 11087 / 11088 was delivered a week or so ago so *should* have entered service around now.

11003 / 11004 I bashed very early on, but this - along with 11001 / 11002 - was sent back to Derby as the first two pairs were non-standard from the rest of the fleet.

Both, believe it or not, have been "recycled" as it was apparently cheaper and easier to do this than to modify them to standard and as yet it is not known if the two replacement pairs will carry the same numbers as the originals or if they will be added on to the end of the numbering sequence.

12CSVT

Established Member
11003 / 11004 I bashed very early on, but this - along with 11001 / 11002 - was sent back to Derby as the first two pairs were non-standard from the rest of the fleet.

Both, believe it or not, have been "recycled" as it was apparently cheaper and easier to do this than to modify them to standard and as yet it is not known if the two replacement pairs will carry the same numbers as the originals or if they will be added on to the end of the numbering sequence.

Interesting ! So two sets of 2009 stock have probably been withdrawn already - possibly the two shortest-lived underground trains in history ?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Aren't Bombardier trains designed to last around 12 months before needing to be refreshed/repaired/rebuilt? If one lasted that long, it's pretty impressive and maybe we should give them more contracts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.