• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query regarding Victoria line 1967 stock and Metropolitan line A stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
According to 'Rapid Transit Miles & Chains' by S.Clarke Kings X to Tottenham Hale is 5 m 26 ch

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
According to 'Rapid Transit Miles & Chains' by S.Clarke Kings X to Tottenham Hale is 5 m 26 ch

Many thanks, I find I cannot use the Rail Miles site for the LUL mileage as there is no Kings Cross St Pancras so gives me a error instead.

Your assistance is much appreciated, :)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I had that problem too - you need to put in King's Cross St Pancras, or it will throw up an error.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What I think they should have done, which would have perhaps solved the issue of people breaking the doors so easily by boarding when the doors are closing, is had the footwell lighting change form bright white to red - and then flash - as the doors are closing. At the moment, the white lights stay on until the doors lock. A missed opportunity there.

It might help, but I'm not sure how much a difference it will make though. There are many people these days who rush as they hear the warning sound just so that they could get half their body on the train which means the doors opening again to let them on. To be honest, I feel that guard making an announcement in the train before closing the door rather than giving those outside a cue to start hurrying up as a better alternative. Unfortunately there will not be a perfect solution to this problem.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had 58+76 to work this morning.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It might help, but I'm not sure how much a difference it will make though. There are many people these days who rush as they hear the warning sound just so that they could get half their body on the train which means the doors opening again to let them on. To be honest, I feel that guard making an announcement in the train before closing the door rather than giving those outside a cue to start hurrying up as a better alternative. Unfortunately there will not be a perfect solution to this problem.

Oh, I've seen some hilarious things over the years - including, very recently, a lady that stuck her foot in the closing doors of a 313 - assuming that it would make the doors re-open like a lift. No, she just got her foot stuck in the doors. Nobody laughed at her, but I saw a few smirks and expressions of 'What the **** were you thinking?'.

Of course the driver DID then open the doors but only to close them again, so she still didn't get on!

I know the doors couldn't lock with her foot in it, but what was the woman thinking? If it hadn't re-opened, and the doors COULD have locked, she'd have been dragged to certain death as soon as the train went into the tunnel. Forget all the safety systems (including CCTV) to stop this; she probably didn't know that.

Some people will always try to board even if there's only enough room to throw in your hands and try and force the doors open, but if from the outside you see the white lights on in the footwell, plus the doors are (currently) open and do not hear the hustle alarm - you may well try and board, then the doors close on you (and quite quick).

Perhaps the lights should not flash or change colour, but merely go off as soon as the doors are about to close? I mean, why keep the lights on until the doors are locked?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perhaps the lights should not flash or change colour, but merely go off as soon as the doors are about to close? I mean, why keep the lights on until the doors are locked?

I believe it's a visibility issue :) I think flashing works best, as it draws attention to the fact the doors are closing. (if they just went off, people - especially the hard of hearing - could think that the lights have failed, rather than the doors are about to close)

jon0844

Veteran Member
But the footwell lights don't flash, the tiny little icon that is only on one side of each door does - which is rather easy to miss.

I am sure that making the footwell lights flash, or change colour, would aid the visually impaired AND the hard of hearing.

I am sure Bombardier and TfL did whatever was required for compliance, but I am sure they could have done more - but it would have been more expensive.

Also, if they had wanted to make it clearer to the visually impaired and hard of hearing, why didn't they have TWO lights by each door - which could (like in Barcelona) show the side the doors will open and then switch to warning that the doors are closing? And why not make them a little bigger too?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But the footwell lights don't flash, the tiny little icon that is only on one side of each door does - which is rather easy to miss.

I am sure that making the footwell lights flash, or change colour, would aid the visually impaired AND the hard of hearing.

I am sure Bombardier and TfL did whatever was required for compliance, but I am sure they could have done more - but it would have been more expensive.

Also, if they had wanted to make it clearer to the visually impaired and hard of hearing, why didn't they have TWO lights by each door - which could (like in Barcelona) show the side the doors will open and then switch to warning that the doors are closing? And why not make them a little bigger too?

I agree - I was more making a suggestion as to what should happen rather than pointing out what happens at the moment :)

I too reckon that that the stupidly small door closing lights could be made bigger - haven't seen the example from Barcelona so not sure how that works (will check it out shortly :) ) but a little flashing icon isnt enough really for a hard of hearing person in my view (or a normal person on a packed peak time train where the beep can barely be heard sometimes! Or have they sorted that now?)

jon0844

Veteran Member
The subway trains in Barcelona don't have door closing lights, but rather large lights to show which side the doors will open on.

I would have thought we could have improved upon that, instead of having it as text scrolling on the LED displays. But on the plus side, the Victoria Line trains announce it too - which the trains in Barcelona don't.

12CSVT

Established Member
I believe it's a visibility issue :) I think flashing works best, as it draws attention to the fact the doors are closing. (if they just went off, people - especially the hard of hearing - could think that the lights have failed, rather than the doors are about to close)

No matter how many warning signs are in place (hustle alarms, footwell lights, 'stand clear' announcements, etc) there will always be idiots who try to force the doors open as they are closing.

317 forever

Established Member
I wonder what proportion of Metropolitan Line trains are now S class. I hope plenty of them run through to Aldgate by now. When I next explore Central London on the August Bank Holiday, I may be able to travel for example from Finchley Road to Victoria, changing at King's Cross, and thus ride an S class and an 09-stock train consecutively!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder what proportion of Metropolitan Line trains are now S class. I hope plenty of them run through to Aldgate by now

Are they running though now? I'm still to use one, and only saw one a year or so ago at Wembley Park (but didn't go on it).

I will definitely take some time out to try and ride one if they are being operated in any reasonable numbers.

I may be able to travel for example from Finchley Road to Victoria, changing at King's Cross, and thus ride an S class and an 09-stock train consecutively!

If you want to do both, make sure you wrap up warm for one and then strip off for the other! I think you will be able to work out the correct order!!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are they running though now? I'm still to use one, and only saw one a year or so ago at Wembley Park (but didn't go on it).
Yes, they have been for a few months now. Still not many in service yet though.

12CSVT

Established Member
I don't think the S stock is running Baker Street - Aldgate just yet.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Are there enough to warrant going along to try and wait for one? Are there any days they definitely are (or aren't) running?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Back on the Victoria Line, I have been told that yesterday 17th saw the withdrawal of the last rake of 1967 stock. Presumably that was 40 + 41 as it was reported running the day before?

Back on the Victoria Line, I have been told that yesterday 17th saw the withdrawal of the last rake of 1967 stock. Presumably that was 40 + 41 as it was reported running the day before?

Last already? Did they withdraw more than one at the same time then? I thought that there were still a fair few left and available for service [albeit limited to just 2 diagrams]...

Daniel

Established Member
are there enough to warrant going along to try and wait for one? Are there any days they definitely are (or aren't) running?

SSR Update said:
From SOT on Monday 13th June, an additional S stock will run in service as T443. This will be in addition to all S stock services previously operated, i.e. T441, T451/T431/T474, T462/465, resulting in a maximum of four S stock trains operating on the line at any one time. For information, T443 reverses at Aldgate once in the morning peak and then again from the evening peak until its last northbound trip (departing ALD at 00.141/2).

(valid from monday 13th june 2011 – version c)

317 forever

Established Member

I will definitely take some time out to try and ride one if they are being operated in any reasonable numbers.

If you want to do both, make sure you wrap up warm for one and then strip off for the other! I think you will be able to work out the correct order!!

I have seen on Wikipedia that the last S class trains for the Met are due around the end of the year.

It may be a safer bet to ride a class 09 train to/from Blackhorse Road, connecting with a London Overground class 172 train. Then in October I can do an S class train from Euston Square to Rayners Lane, connecting with the Piccadilly Line to Sudbury Hill, as I plan to ride a refurbished VNZ bus on First London route 92 then.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can confirm that some services are still running with 67 stocks; I had 60+61 home from work this evening.

anthony263

Established Member
Thursday 30th June is confirmed to be the final day of operation for the 1967 stock..

Train 247 will be specially marked as the last officail train during the evening pakr it will work the following:

Northumberland Park depot 15:42 Brixton 16:22

Brixton 16:25
Seven Sisters 16:58

Seven Sisters 17:10 Brixton 17:40

Brixton 17:43
Seven Sisters 18:16

Seven Sisters 18:29 Brixton 18:59

Brixton 19:01
Seven Sisters 19:32

Seven Sisters 19:34
Northumberland Park depot 19:43 stable.

Mojo