• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

XC90

Get class 185 on WHL. 156 and 158 are no use any more. 3 car 185's have power and capacity.

Obviously not going to happen but I definitely think 158's are a bad bad idea.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Get class 185 on WHL. 156 and 158 are no use any more. 3 car 185's have power and capacity.

Obviously not going to happen but I definitely think 158's are a bad bad idea.

I agree that if 185s are available then they should replace the 158s on the WHL. The first class would be a big pull factor for TOCs, but you also have other problems:
  • Heavy weight of the 185s could weaken already weak track and infrastructure along the WHL
  • Too long for 3 train working where sets divide to Oban, Fort William and Mallaig
  • Unsuited to MU speed differentials
  • Maintenance needed to be compatible with other units
  • Having a micro-fleet as limited as the 185s would also limit flexibility on other routes

The 158s, which I'm not a fan of, could be better upgraded to make them suitable for the WHL. For the WHL, a first class section would be a real pull factor to tourists especially, as well as providing an incentive for regular passengers to upgrade on what can be a 4+ hour journey. The air con is a big one as well, which isn't uncommon on most 158s in Britain let alone Scotland. If I had to choose between 158s and 156s for the WHL, I can see the logic in using 158s where spare ones are available.

oldman

I know it's only £3 million but I wonder why I (the Scottish taxpayer) am paying for these things rather than Abellio.

MadCommuter

:|
I know it's only £3 million but I wonder why I (the Scottish taxpayer) am paying for these things rather than Abellio.

Agree. Ticket vending machines will surely increase revenue for Abellio so they should be paying for those.

Highland37

Established Member
I could be wrong, but if revenue increases doesn't the Scottish Government get more money?

I thought the franchise needed subsidy? I might be wrong but as far as I know it's one-way for the money stream.

If we own the stations, as we do, then it seems reasonable to pay for their upgrade. Not the rolling stock though.

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought the franchise needed subsidy? I might be wrong but as far as I know it's one-way for the money stream.
Okay then - if revenue increases, the subsidy decreases. Either way, the Scottish Government has more money for other things. :)

oldman

The Scottish Government can share in profits made above a certain level but that does not mean that if they pay for a few TVMs they will get their money back.

Basically they love putting out statements that they are putting (small amounts of) money into service improvements and Scotrail have come up with a list of things that they may or should have done anyway - for example refurbishing 158s for the Scenic Routes and improving disability provision on the 385s.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Some Barnett consequential of the money Dft is giving to Rail North and Midlands Connect to set up perhaps?

route:oxford

Established Member
I agree that if 185s are available then they should replace the 158s on the WHL. The first class would be a big pull factor for TOCs, but you also have other problems:
  • Heavy weight of the 185s could weaken already weak track and infrastructure along the WHL
  • Too long for 3 train working where sets divide to Oban, Fort William and Mallaig
  • Unsuited to MU speed differentials
  • Maintenance needed to be compatible with other units
  • Having a micro-fleet as limited as the 185s would also limit flexibility on other routes

Here's a radical idea...

Why not improve the infrastructure to accommodate more modern units?

Maybe add in a few more passing places during the upgrade to permit a more intensive service during peak tourist season?

Clansman

Established Member
Here's a radical idea...

Maybe add in a few more passing places during the upgrade to permit a more intensive service during peak tourist season?

Long overdue idea, but it's a case of the government being willing to do it. Not to mention other places needing some upgrading more (probably due to a larger population demanding it if anything), Lentran up the Far North comes to mind.

Hopefully we see better trains on the WHL and FNL very soon - the 185s would definitely suit it. Although I can imagine the Government will do anything to avoid having to splash out on a line upgrade, hence why they are putting 158s on the route and playing the 'new trains' card to act like they are actually doing something.

Why upgrade the route to accommodate heavier trains when older ones can do a better job without modification - is the argument here.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Services through Hyndland were cancelled today . Got on at Hamilton West and the train terminated at Newton and everyone had to get on a via Maxwell Park service .

MadCommuter

Services through Hyndland were cancelled today . Got on at Hamilton West and the train terminated at Newton and everyone had to get on a via Maxwell Park service .

I had the pleasure of a bus, so count yourself lucky.

All thanks to a '3rd party contractor' felling trees on to the line. I'm not sure if this was under contract to Network Rail or not.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Here's a radical idea...

Here is another radical idea.

Why spend money on improving the infrastructure when even more modern units that are lighter can use the line without any alterations being made.

Improvements for increased frequency upgrades are separate to my point.

route101

Established Member
I had the pleasure of a bus, so count yourself lucky.

All thanks to a '3rd party contractor' felling trees on to the line. I'm not sure if this was under contract to Network Rail or not.

Luckily i was in no rush but amazed me some had no clue where they were on the Newton to Glasgow Central High Level train !

route:oxford

Established Member
Here is another radical idea.

Why spend money on improving the infrastructure when even more modern units that are lighter can use the line without any alterations being made.

Improvements for increased frequency upgrades are separate to my point.

That would work - if Transport Scotland were to instigate a long term no-locomotive policy on the WHL.

HH

Established Member
:|

Agree. Ticket vending machines will surely increase revenue for Abellio so they should be paying for those.

Why do you imagine TVMs would increase revenue? (Actually they would, but only very marginally.)

These all look like Passenger benefits to me, with little effect on revenue (as per PDFH). If TS are smart they will have got an offset of the small amount revenue from Abellio. Or got Abellio to contribute to the costs, which amounts to the same thing. I don't see anything to say that this hasn't happened.

oldman

Or got Abellio to contribute to the costs, which amounts to the same thing. I don't see anything to say that this hasn't happened.

I don't see anything to say it has! It would be a weird bit of micromanagement to be fiddling around with the franchise like that.

Butts

Veteran Member
Delay Repay - World Record Payout Time ?

I applied online for a delay on an Oban service last week on Wednesday this week and received a voucher in the post today (Friday)

Only worth £5 but hey that was quick :p

Last edited:

Highland37

Established Member
Do we have any idea of the HST timetable on the HML? I seem to recall hour departures to Glasgow and Edinburgh each hour alternatively.

Butts

Veteran Member
What a fiasco tonight getting back from Edinburgh Park to Falkirk High ......

One and a Half Hours instead of 28minutes <D

Boarded the 2043 from EDP and unforunately we were held outside Linlithgow for over an hour as there was a Train waiting for a driver blocking the Platform.

According to the Guard this was because there was supposed to be a driver changeover there and the relief driver "blew out". Presumeably the driver who took it that far went home and they had to send a driver in a taxi from Stirling.

Surely as in most jobs if someone was taking over from you it would mean you wait for your replacement to arrive and if they don't you work on for a bit ? Especially if not doing so is going to block the line up and inconvenience hundreds of people ?

Perhaps it was complicated by all the engineering works going on in the area as a lot of RRB's were operating form FKK to Stirling/Dunblane.

To make matters worse the service was rammed with Rubgy Supporters who had been liberally imbibing by the sound of it.

Was the guard telling the truth or was it a ripping yarn ? :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely as in most jobs if someone was taking over from you it would mean you wait for your replacement to arrive and if they don't you work on for a bit ? Especially if not doing so is going to block the line up and inconvenience hundreds of people ?

If the driver was out of hours then they were out of hours and couldn't drive on even if they wanted to.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Does anyone know or would anyone like to guess which 10 stations might be in line to gain a TVM?

cf111

Established Member
Does anyone know or would anyone like to guess which 10 stations might be in line to gain a TVM?

I see they've updated the firmware on the "main" one at Inverness so you can buy tickets for dates in the future from it. It also no longer requires the hammer of Thor to use the touchscreen.

Anyway, Thurso?

me123

Established Member

Hopefully some on the Whifflet line. No TVMs between Carmyle and Kirkwood inclusive (unless something's changed in the recent past). Used to be a real pain if the guard didn't get to you in time (maybe marginally better now that the train is DOO, so the TE can sell more tickets).

Rick1984

In regards to 158's on the WHL etc. surely with scenic lines modification they'll be more than up to the job? Shame they can't replace the 156's on other scenic lines with 158's as they'd be a nice upgrade from Kilmarnock!

The HST buffet appears to be in power car end of 1st class so does this mean it's not for standard passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.