• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

Well, to be precise it means Inter-7-Cities, referring to the seven cities in Scotland.

But Inter-7-cities is also a marketing term, which gramatically doesn't really make sense. Not sure how it's relevant how many cities there are either - none of the services actually serve all of them with the same train!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Either way, unlike say Azuma, I've not come across passengers who actually talk about 'Inter seven cities', so I would suggest perhaps we just drop it for the time being and re-evaluate if and when we get a full HST timetable running and judge based on official and passenger usage when that occurs.
I don't disagree that it not in common usage, but that doesn't change that I7C is a separate and distinct Scotrail brand, while "Intercity" belongs (one assumes) to the DfT through being previously owned by BR.
But Inter-7-cities is also a marketing term, which gramatically doesn't really make sense. Not sure how it's relevant how many cities there are either - none of the services actually serve all of them with the same train!
Also true. But how many brands/slogans actually make sense when you look at them closely?

Edit: I need to correct myself, the brand is actually Inter7City (singular) - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/inter7city

I don't disagree that it not in common usage, but that doesn't change that I7C is a separate and distinct Scotrail brand, while "Intercity" belongs (one assumes) to the DfT through being previously owned by BR.

Also true. But how many brands/slogans actually make sense when you look at them closely?

Edit: I need to correct myself, the brand is actually Inter7City (singular) - https://www.scotrail.co.uk/inter7city
I doubt there's anything precious about the term InterCity, other than maybe to a few enthusiasts. From what I recall we had phases of InterCity 125 and InterCity 225, and maybe a few other incarnations but that's stretching what most folk can deal with. Or care about for that matter.
I think a lot of people in Scotland would understand InterCity as meaning a loco-hauled or plush EMU affair, used on journeys lasting over an hour with only a small number of stops between clearly identifiable urban locations. A journey where you take your coat off and maybe have a cup of tea.
Using the number 7 sets the services apart as being uniquely Scottish - there won't be many other networks with seven key destinations. But while they would recognise it I don't see this I7C catching on with the general public or being dropped into casual conversation.

GLC

I believe this is true. I’m sure I read that Scotrail had to run the I7C name past DfT to make sure they were happy with it too

DB

I believe this is true. I’m sure I read that Scotrail had to run the I7C name past DfT to make sure they were happy with it too

A brand which nobody seems to know how to pronounce (and whether the 7 is silent) is not exactly a clever idea! It looks, and probably is, exactly the sort of thing which some hipster branding agency would be paid a lot to come up with.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Almost certainly. I would imagine six figures.

It looks quite good to me. I've certainly seen worse brands. Though the actual livery doesn't work as well as it could because the vinyl bit attracts muck and now no longer blends in with the grey-painted body. Perhaps should be redone as an all-vinyl version.

DB

It looks quite good to me. I've certainly seen worse brands. Though the actual livery doesn't work as well as it could because the vinyl bit attracts muck and now no longer blends in with the grey-painted body. Perhaps should be redone as an all-vinyl version.

It's not too bad a livery, but the standard Scotrail blue with silver logos livery is better!

ajrm

I wonder if someone else has the rights to the name 'Intercity'?
Controlled by the DfT as one of a number of legacy BR trademarks, as far as I'm aware. So there shouldn't be an issue, unless the later devolution of the ScotRail franchise complicates it somehow.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A brand which nobody seems to know how to pronounce (and whether the 7 is silent) is not exactly a clever idea! It looks, and probably is, exactly the sort of thing which some hipster branding agency would be paid a lot to come up with.
Pretty sure the "7" is sounded as in : 'Inter-seven-city"

I wonder if someone else has the rights to the name 'Intercity'?

Jeremy Hosking and LSL using the brand and 1980s livery for its mk3 stock and associated (mostly electric hauled) charters. I don't know if they have exclusive rights as I don't speak with anyone there these days.

Jeremy Hosking and LSL using the brand and 1980s livery for its mk3 stock and associated (mostly electric hauled) charters. I don't know if they have exclusive rights as I don't speak with anyone there these days.

Controlled by the DfT as one of a number of legacy BR trademarks, as far as I'm aware. So there shouldn't be an issue, unless the later devolution of the ScotRail franchise complicates it somehow.
If the question is why ScotRail didn't go for InterCity instead of Inter7City, I imagine it's because they didn't want to rather than because of any trademark restrictions. I hardly think we're the only country with Inter City as a popular name for anything. German ICE trains spring to mind.
It looks quite good to me. I've certainly seen worse brands.
I tend to agree. Using seven dots, consistent with ScotRail's saltire, between the text INTER and CITY is quite creative and the number 7 looks a bit like the North East coastline on a map. And the area around Caithness, come to think about it.

If the branding did cost six figures, perhaps it was better spent than a lot of other money that disappears into the railway.

InOban

Established Member

I wonder whether this will run today. On the one hand it's a replacement for a cancelled path on Thursday, and it's unusual to send a unit on a Saturday. On the other hand, it was activated automatically at T-2 hours, I've more confidence if it's manually activated.

Stathern Jc

I wonder whether the ECML diversions between Peterborough and Doncaster today has had a knock on of creating some gaps in timetabled services which this move could be scheduled to take advantage of?

I wonder whether this will run today. On the one hand it's a replacement for a cancelled path on Thursday, and it's unusual to send a unit on a Saturday. On the other hand, it was activated automatically at T-2 hours, I've more confidence if it's manually activated.
5S01 appears to be under starter's orders at Doncaster. We shall see!

Goldromans

Am I correct in saying there is only one more 4-coach set to be delivered before the extra coaches start arriving?

och aye

What is the status of the toilets dumping mess onto the tracks, have all the units been refitted now?

Status
Not open for further replies.