• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyMich2018

Would 25 sets be enough to cover all INV/ABD-GLQ/EDI and INV-ABD services, do you know? Personally, I’d say no 170s/158s should be operating these services after the full HST introduction. The whole point of the Inter7City project was to avoid exactly that.
Not too sure to be honest. I'd say it be enough to pretty much cover most services. Other people on this forum will know more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Would 25 sets be enough to cover all INV/ABD-GLQ/EDI and INV-ABD services, do you know? Personally, I’d say no 170s/158s should be operating these services after the full HST introduction. The whole point of the Inter7City project was to avoid exactly that.
You'd think so, but there's no prospect of the Highland Main Line getting a full HST timetable any time soon. We're still stuck with half HST/half dmu services, even with the timetable getting scaled back in December.

To be fair why would they operate gas guzzling HSTs with no passengers on them when they can run 170s or 158s with no passengers.

Regardless of whether all/most of them could be hst operated the early morning 05xx ex Perth and the 20xx ex Inverness (to Glasgow) probably have limited merit in being hst operated and would be useful ways of being able to swap dmu sets over that work north of Inverness should maintenance or operational requirements dictate. Although a few on the Elgin line could perhaps perform that job early morning or late evening in a similar way. Think with the slow and painful road out of the covid ruled world its anybody's guess now what the final plan will look like be it 6 months or a few years time. Either way rail use is bound to improve again at some point even if we don't return to 2019 pre covid loadings just yet.

Clansman

Established Member
Regardless of whether all/most of them could be hst operated the early morning 05xx ex Perth and the 20xx ex Inverness (to Glasgow) probably have limited merit in being hst operated and would be useful ways of being able to swap dmu sets over that work north of Inverness should maintenance or operational requirements dictate..
Definitely.

Many users who question the number of HSTs brought in forget to take into account that if every I7C service was HST operated, then a cut off point would exist preventing DMUs being rotated in passenger operation (said cut-offs being Arbroath-Montrose, and Perth to Inverness). Hence why services in the morning/evening will operate as DMUs. The last Aberdeen-Edinburgh, the morning Perth-Inverurie, and last Aberdeen to Perth all spring to mind. Doubled 158s the most common I've found, particularly on the latter. Vital for rotating the Inverness and Corkerhill 158s around.

Steven_G

With such low loads at the moment there is also perhaps a logic which says take advantage of that and keep the operating hours low on the HST sets.

Wynd

This is my thinking also. I seem to recall this was the pitch. From and ABZ perspective it was clear from customer feedback that folk were happy to wait for the 9/11/14.52 KGX services, and so upgraded intercity sets were advanced to counter this.

Having walked through Aberdeen earlier today, I was disappointed to see 158/170 full house. Not an HST in sight.

This really is not good enough from Scotrail. There has not been and is presently nothing like an HST backbone to the service. All I see is parked up HST sets at Haymarket and Clayhills.

Established Member
This is my thinking also. I seem to recall this was the pitch. From and ABZ perspective it was clear from customer feedback that folk were happy to wait for the 9/11/14.52 KGX services, and so upgraded intercity sets were advanced to counter this.

Having walked through Aberdeen earlier today, I was disappointed to see 158/170 full house. Not an HST in sight.

This really is not good enough from Scotrail. There has not been and is presently nothing like an HST backbone to the service. All I see is parked up HST sets at Haymarket and Clayhills.
Does it matter at the moment though?

If, in my case, the Highland Main Line is still half dmu operated in 18 months time, with a slow timetable and overcrowding to match, then I'd agree that it's a poor effort and a big disappointment.

But given that the trains are empty and I'm hardly travelling myself, then running the service as cheaply possible is something that's difficult for me to disagree with.

tricky18jan

Does anyone happen to know what coach sets were on the below yesterday ?

1H51 Glasgow to Inverness 43183 and 43129, HA??

1T18 Aberdeen to Glasgow 43036 and 43032, HA??

1A63 Glasgow to Aberdeen 43125 and 43130, HA??

any help much appreciated

thanks
Rich

fgwrich

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know what coach sets were on the below yesterday ?

1H51 Glasgow to Inverness 43183 and 43129, HA??

1T18 Aberdeen to Glasgow 43036 and 43032, HA??

1A63 Glasgow to Aberdeen 43125 and 43130, HA??

any help much appreciated

thanks
Rich

43036 + HA09 + 43032

43125 + HA13 + 43130

Unsure about 129/183 I'm afraid.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It was my understanding that Inverness-Aberdeen was always going to remain a mix of HST and DMU, but that Glasgow/Edinburgh-Aberdeen/Inverness would be fully HST

najaB

Veteran Member
It was my understanding that Inverness-Aberdeen was always going to remain a mix of HST and DMU, but that Glasgow/Edinburgh-Aberdeen/Inverness would be fully HST
That's my understanding as well. Aberdeen-Inverness would have a mix of "local" services which would be 170s and 158s and "express" services which would be HST operated.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Of the sets that would remain as 4 coaches, are these intended to be specially dedicated to the Inverness - Aberdeen workings?
I think it was stated that with the change in the split between 4-car and 5-car sets the plan was now that Edinburgh-Aberdeen would insofar as possible be operated by 5-car sets while the other workings would be split.

That's my understanding as well. Aberdeen-Inverness would have a mix of "local" services which would be 170s and 158s and "express" services which would be HST operated.
Yes, that was what I believe was the original intention though whether that is still the intention when everything settles...

Clansman

Established Member
but that Glasgow/Edinburgh-Aberdeen/Inverness would be fully HST
Not strictly true, as there needs to be DMU operated passenger runs between Perth-Inverness and Montrose-Arbroath to rotate the 170s and 158s to the central belt without the need to run more empties.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not strictly true, as there needs to be DMU operated passenger runs between Perth-Inverness and Montrose-Arbroath to rotate the 170s and 158s to the central belt without the need to run more empties.
I admit I'd forgotten about that requirement, though I remember you mentioning it previously now. So at least one Inverness and one Aberdeen-Central Belt service each way will still be DMU then?

Status
Not open for further replies.