'SkyFall' EC 91007

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by allticketspls, 9 Feb 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LE Greys

LE Greys Established Member

It's the renumbering that makes it look like a silly stunt. I welcome a bit of variety in the livery (and will make a point of trying to get a picture of this one) but renumbering it back to a 91/0 is a bit pointless. I have a feeling they would have gone for 390007 (remember Virgin had a Superman livery for a while), but of course the ICWC franchise is still not sorted, so they want this around for a while.

Of course, a Jubilee Line, or maybe District Line, unit might have worked as well.

2. Rhydgaled

Rhydgaled Established Member

The 91/1 or 91/0 subclass distinctions aren't really necessary now the upgrade program is complete are they? They could re-number them all back to 91/0s (supprised they didn't make the duplex pantograph prototype one a different subclass). Maybe if the fleet gets another major reliability upgrade along with duplex pantographs and ETCS they can progressively re-number them back to class 91/0. If they don't revert to 91/0s, 91117 could be named 'Sparta' or 'Kingdom Of Sparta' or something like that.

3. 43095john

43095john Member

This being Painted at Doncaster I presume. If so, any gen on when this will head for Bounds Green?

4. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

as it'll be vinyls it can probably be done at Bounds Green the night before.

5. ash39

ash39 Established Member

Correct in my experience, however buffet cars and DVT's tend to get swapped occasionally, presumably as there is more things that can go wrong on these vehicles.

Got a shot of a grey 10304 hastily inserted into an ex-GNER set last August

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/8464413327/

Ironically, given the discussion on the previous page of the thread, it was 91132 doing the honours that day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/8464408941/

Only other mismatched set I've seen is a blue TSOE on an otherwise silver set, with 91101 attached. Very colourful.

Looking forward to seeing the Skyfall set this weekend, just hope it's done tastefully like 91101, less is more. A full set of 91110-style graphics, nice as they are, would be a bit much on the eyes!

6. davido39

davido39 Member

Skyfall. Apart from being the most successful Bond film ever!

Personally I think Skyfall is a great name for a loco, brings back the days when loco's had real names.

Let's hope they don't rebuild the loco to look like the one featured in Goldeneye. Which I believe was a member of the class 20 family. Looking forward to seeing the set when it is unveiled.

On the subject of Bond. I do love the reboot, gone are the cheesy one liners, with more emphasise on the action.

7. stuartmoss

stuartmoss Member

Does anyone know if this train will be working the London - Edinburgh or London - Leeds route, as well as when? I'm in Newcastle all next week so it would be good to film it at Newcastle station, any advice appreciated.

8. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

All 91s work all electrified routes though the exact diagram their working probably wouldn't be known for sure until the early hours of the morning. So if you're at Newcastle all week there is a very good chance that it will be through at some point.

9. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Somehow I have a feeling it is likely to be very eye catching! I don't think Bond does tasteful! :D

10. ash39

ash39 Established Member

I'm part of a decent gen group for Class 91's, recently a guy has been posting the diagrams most mornings so as long as this keeps up I should be able to tell you what it's on on any given day next week, assuming it doesn't fail or swap diagrams obviously.

11. Scottw

Scottw Member

It maybe dragged south on Sunday via sunderland and hartlepool due to the engineering works between n/castle and darlington this weekend.

12. stuartmoss

stuartmoss Member

Cheers that would be much appreciated, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday would be best for me, either as a response to this or tweet @mosstraveltv THANKS!

13. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Are they doing electric drags via the Durham Coast this time? Usually, it's just been HSTs in recent years.

14. trainplan1

trainplan1 Member

I beleive the Mk4's are out of gauge at Sunderland thus preventing drags via the Durham Coast. I stand to be corrected though.

15. D365

D365 Established Member

I recall modifications had to be made to accept Metrocars. Mutually exclusive at a platform?

16. sprinterguy

I thought that it was the case that class 91s and mark 4 rakes are permitted via Sunderland, but the pantograph of the class 91 has to be locked down. This is because of the extremely limited clearance in the tunnel to the north of Sunderland station. I didn't think that the mark 4s were out of gauge through Sunderland.

17. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

The above was my understanding also, other than that I don't believe there are any restrictions on Mk4s via Sunderland.

18. 87015

87015 Established Member

There is a booked drag via Sunderland for a good few Saturdays coming up, its early evening time out of Newcastle, can look for the quoted train later if anyone wants.

19. sprinterguy

If you could that would be quite interesting, cheers. The information presented by Open Train Times suggests that it could be the 17:14 from Newcastle to Kings Cross.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2013
  20. trainplan1

trainplan1 Member

That sounds more reasonable, I certainly remember a discussion at work regarding this.

21. 87015

87015 Established Member

Yes thats the service I've been quoted, skip to Doncaster.

22. craig87034

craig87034 Member

The drag is Feb 16th-March 24th
    Sat 1714 Newcastle-Kings X (to Doncaster)
    Sun 0937 Doncaster-Edinburgh (to Newcastle)

23. Bridge189

Bridge189 Member

Correct,

From a very trusted source with many years experience the pantograph has to not only be locked OOU but physically tied down with clips etc to go through Sunderland because of the limited clearance but also to avoid any accidental contact with T&W metro OHLE. Probably why it's not a popular option and has never been used in the past few years during diversions.

They also do this with the dead loco on a double heading.

24. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

any pictures yet online seems to be lacking

25. Tim R-T-C

Tim R-T-C Established Member

I'm guessing it is only getting done up now, 91107 was working as normal at York on Monday. The press run will probably be its first outing.

26. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

Got my dates mixed up, thought it was already done... :D

27. dave87016

dave87016 Established Member

For those who are interested 91107 has been at Bounds Green since 12th Febuary so I assume it has been receiving its new vinyls, it went into Bounds Green Depot with DVT 82231 which has also been there since the 12th Febuary

28. Tim R-T-C

Tim R-T-C Established Member

Must have seen it on one of its last runs then, at York on the 11th:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I wonder how long the set will stay in the scheme - there seem to be no plans to strip 91101 or 91110 of their logos any time soon.

29. Scottw

Scottw Member

It's going to be a service aswell called skyfall I believe.

30. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

Picture courtesy of north east diesel society

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.