• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quin79

I believe so, but there is no displayed timer. Once the time is up it changes the web page automatically. All SCAAT/ dot tests are designed not to be able to be finished in the allotted time.

Thanks, I get that they're not designed to be finished in alloted time. I'm a bit concerned as only just started practising Dots (Group Bourdon) on paper so now having to complete a computer based mini test it will probably throw me a little. Ah well just have to give it my best and keep everything crossed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bonneville91

You passed your DMI at Paddington last month, how come you have to go through all these new tests for Southern?
I phoned up yesterday and even though you've passed the assessments this is another way of filtering through the applications prior to assessments and/or interviews

Railfan132

I've just done mine, Was similar to actual dot test that you do on assessment day but I actually enjoyed it! Bit stressful in the third one but we got there in the end. Guess will find out next week if I am through!

baz962

Established Member
May end up pulling my application as looking at the medical requirements will probably not pass the hearing test level. Would be gutting if jumped through all the hoops successfully to fail at the final hurdle when I know it is unlikely hearing will improve. Good luck to you all

Some companies allow hearing aids , don't just give up .

Quin79

Some companies allow hearing aids , don't just give up .

Thanks Baz...I did contact GTR who sent their requirements back. Basically has to be unaided hearing at a certain level so as to comply with Personal Track Safety requirements. I first found out of my mid range frequency (between 1kHz - 2kHz) moderate hearing loss when changed job years ago. Put it down to a cold at the time and took a couple more tests to try and convince new employer to take me. Had a re-test today to just check and results still the same which is below the requirements. If it weren't for the personal track safety level I'd probably scrape through.
I contacted recruitment to ask and they're getting occ health to have a look at my result and get back to me.....not holding out much hope :(

Bonneville91

Yes! you have to do the practise test first before you attempt the actual one!
Thank you, I'll crack on with this tonight. Never done an online version before so will have a stab at the practise material on here.
Thanks Baz...I did contact GTR who sent their requirements back. Basically has to be unaided hearing at a certain level so as to comply with Personal Track Safety requirements. I first found out of my mid range frequency (between 1kHz - 2kHz) moderate hearing loss when changed job years ago. Put it down to a cold at the time and took a couple more tests to try and convince new employer to take me. Had a re-test today to just check and results still the same which is below the requirements. If it weren't for the personal track safety level I'd probably scrape through.
I contacted recruitment to ask and they're getting occ health to have a look at my result and get back to me.....not holding out much hope :(
Keep the faith, I know a driver at Norwood that has hearing aids in both ears and is in his 70's.

Quin79

Thank you, I'll crack on with this tonight. Never done an online version before so will have a stab at the practise material on here.

Keep the faith, I know a driver at Norwood that has hearing aids in both ears and is in his 70's.

Thanks, but things that occur whilst in the job are "managed", when looking at taking on a recruit with an issue is a different story. Sorry hard to be optimistic at the moment as this is a massive blow to the confidence.

Chanteford

Is the test with letters, numbers, brackets, shapes or something else or a mixture ???

HelloHi

Surprised to get a reminder email yesterday about the test, I made sure I done it today. Hopefully I done it well enough , didn't say how long to wait for a result this time.
Good luck everyone :)

Railfan132

Do we know how long does it take for them to reply you back? I completed my mini scaat test last Tuesday

HelloHi

Not sure but I bet it'll be another test.
I think alot of people scored highly on that one,
Weren't expecting it to be done with a mouse and was on laptop, I stuck a mouse in once I was aware.
I wonder if people using a tablet could click quicker using their finger?

Quin79

Not sure but I bet it'll be another test.
I think alot of people scored highly on that one,
Weren't expecting it to be done with a mouse and was on laptop, I stuck a mouse in once I was aware.
I wonder if people using a tablet could click quicker using their finger?

I don't think that last test would have "weeded out" many from the process so maybe one more test before assessment day.
I connected mouse to laptop before opening as had an inkling it wold have been useful rather than using thd touch pad

Tomo1062

Pretty sure there will be no more tests. This is the usual format and they just cherry pick off the top how ever many they want/need to put through to assessment’s.

Sofia@uk

This is the last on line test if u passed it you will be invited for the assessment, good luck everyone :)

Bridger

Just had my rejection for the 2nd set of tests, although I have a trainee driver start date with my current TOC, so I'm in the lucky position to not be bothered. :)

Good luck all!

maps87

Damn, I got my rejection email too. Annoyingly, living in Brighton there's no other option but to wait for GTR to recruit again, as I'm too far from other TOC or FOC depots.

Status
Not open for further replies.