• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southwest mainline driver interview....

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh well such is life, that's the way I look at it. One of those situations whereby no law is broken and there is nothing you can do about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
A bit of a random question, but in the medical, are TOC's very strict about sticking to the "BMI" limits?

Latecomer

A bit of a random question, but in the medical, are TOC's very strict about sticking to the "BMI" limits?

I was going to ask the same thing what is the required medical standards for SWT

The main thing is you should be in good general health. The BMI limits are really guidelines. Do what you can to be as close to the specified limit as you reasonably can, but if you are healthy in other respects then don't let the BMI put you off. TOC's need to be careful about excluding people on BMI alone but you do need to be able to get in and out of a cab and have a reasonable standard of health alongside the essential requirements relating to eyesight, hearing, etc.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
The main thing is you should be in good general health. The BMI limits are really guidelines. Do what you can to be as close to the specified limit as you reasonably can, but if you are healthy in other respects then don't let the BMI put you off. TOC's need to be careful about excluding people on BMI alone but you do need to be able to get in and out of a cab and have a reasonable standard of health alongside the essential requirements relating to eyesight, hearing, etc.

Does the same logic apply to Guard positions, or are they expected to be "fitter"?

Does the same logic apply to Guard positions, or are they expected to be "fitter"?

I was going to ask the same thing about BMI's. Mine is 38 at the moment, but I guess it also has to do with what job environment you are coming from. I work in a retail environment where can I spend 8-10 hours a day on my feet so I would have no problems walking up and down a train all day.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I was going to ask the same thing about BMI's. Mine is 38 at the moment, but I guess it also has to do with what job environment you are coming from. I work in a retail environment where can I spend 8-10 hours a day on my feet so I would have no problems walking up and down a train all day.

Wow you read my mind, I too come from a retail background and have a similar BMI to yours! Although moving to Gateline still has me on my feet, it's not as intensive as retail.

You see alot of bigger Guards, however it could be that they put the weight on after getting into the role? :lol:

Wow you read my mind, I too come from a retail background and have a similar BMI to yours! Although moving to Gateline still has me on my feet, it's not as intensive as retail.

You see alot of bigger Guards, however it could be that they put the weight on after getting into the role? :lol:

Interesting ...... even more so considering I've just applied for a Gateline Assistant vacancy :D

bounty100

Ha thank you I will when did they say you would have an interview?

You are welcome. Before Christmas, they said they first need to know when the Depot Manager would be available and would get back to me. I guess I would have to ditch the Christmas Casual job I have with the Royal Mail ;)

Oh yes, I've seen that vacancy, it was only added to the SWT site on Friday. Best of luck though :D

I check the website daily and I'm on any local vacancy like a tramp on a bag of chips!

I have my assessment through for my Ticket Clerk application! Gotta start somewhere!

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I check the website daily and I'm on any local vacancy like a tramp on a bag of chips!

I have my assessment through for my Ticket Clerk application! Gotta start somewhere!

Nice one, and ticket clerk is actually a pretty good role, they get paid more than Gateline and also have better conditions than then (extra pay for BH/Sun/Rest day work) The only downside is you might have less contracted hours.

Nice one, and ticket clerk is actually a pretty good role, they get paid more than Gateline and also have better conditions than then (extra pay for BH/Sun/Rest day work) The only downside is you might have less contracted hours.

It's for 20 hours a week in St Denys, from Mon-Fri. It's still more then I get paid at the moment for working 29 hours a week. I'll try and find overtime in other stations though assuming I get it if this is possible....

Btw, I'm sorry for completely de-railing this thread...

Urban Gateline

Established Member
It's for 20 hours a week in St Denys, from Mon-Fri. It's still more then I get paid at the moment for working 29 hours a week. I'll try and find overtime in other stations though assuming I get it if this is possible....

Btw, I'm sorry for completely de-railing this thread...

Nice one, better than nothing!

Not related to the OP's topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the following status means on the SWT application site (where you check the status of your application) :

"Linked to other SWT Role" ?

Is it a good or bad thing? Don't really want to call HR and bother them with something small like that!

i think and i stand to be corrected. it comes up when you apply for two jobs at different locations, or sometimes when one application is used for multiple roles!

Liam86

Just heard from SWT and I passed my interview! So happy!
Massive thanks to everyone who helped me.

Liam86

Yeah they said medical 12th jan, with a course starting march. Was hoping to start earlier as they said jan course at my interview, but hey, I gotta wait a few months, so what!

Liam86

Hey, thanks mate, trying not to get too excited until I get 100% confirmation.

Also, just an update, the HR team rang me back and said I could do my medical next week instead of jan so hopefully get it all sorted a bit quicker now.

ChampsRacing

Well done to you mate the interview with swt is not the easiest thing to pass take it for me. Maybe i'll be your guard in the near future :)

LCC106

Established Member
Hey, thanks mate, trying not to get too excited until I get 100% confirmation.

Also, just an update, the HR team rang me back and said I could do my medical next week instead of jan so hopefully get it all sorted a bit quicker now.

Sounds like they're keen for a quick start...

Liam86

Sounds like they're keen for a quick start...

I hope so!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Probably a stupid question, buy I just want to make sure....is there a dress code when attending the medical?

Safety365

I hope so!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Probably a stupid question, buy I just want to make sure....is there a dress code when attending the medical?

Not really, but the nurse will be performing an ECG with the stick on electrodes, so for ease of access to your chest, I'd advise a shirt.

Plus, a shirt and trousers combo helps keep up that professional image you probably mentioned in your interview.

If you wear contact lenses/glasses or both, take them with you to your medical.

Drink plenty of water so you are able to supply a sample of urine for your tox-screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.