• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
If I remember correctly, GWR would give 1 Nectar point per £1 ticket. That is normally worth 0.5% - there aren't often offers to give more when you redeem the points.

Topcashback offer 4.25% cashback with Scotrail.
I used it once and it didn't track, but the claim hasn't be resolved yet.

Topcashback offer 0.85% cashback with Chiltern Rail for tickets from other companies.
I have used this quite often, and it is pretty reliable.

Quidco pay 4% for new Scotrail customers for journeys, but only if the journey starts or ends in Scotland.

Quidco only pay cashback with Chiltern for tickets on Chiltern Railways

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
If I remember correctly, GWR would give 1 Nectar point per £1 ticket. That is normally worth 0.5% - there aren't often offers to give more when you redeem the points.

Topcashback offer 4.25% cashback with Scotrail.
I used it once and it didn't track, but the claim hasn't be resolved yet.

Topcashback offer 0.85% cashback with Chiltern Rail for tickets from other companies.
I have used this quite often, and it is pretty reliable.

Quidco pay 4% for new Scotrail customers for journeys, but only if the journey starts or ends in Scotland.

Quidco only pay cashback with Chiltern for tickets on Chiltern Railways
As of yesterday, the LNER offer on NatWest and Barclaycard Rewards (or at least on my cards) has been renewed for a further fourteen days: 8% on Natwest, 5% on Barclaycard. And having doubted it previously I can confirm that it pays on any booking made through LNER.

island

Veteran Member
As of yesterday, the LNER offer on NatWest and Barclaycard Rewards (or at least on my cards) has been renewed for a further fourteen days: 8% on Natwest, 5% on Barclaycard. And having doubted it previously I can confirm that it pays on any booking made through LNER.
I've had it renew twice on my Halifax card. Of course as Sod's law would have it, I booked several anytime tickets and proceeded to catch COVID and have to cancel some of them, so the £10 refund fee will more than knock out the cashback on the lot :rolleyes:

Silver Cobra

Received an email indicating that GWR will be leaving Nectar on 30th March. This means there will now be no point whatsoever booking tickets directly with them, except perhaps the sleeper.
I've been using TPE instead of GWR for booking tickets for the last 6-8 months due to my work having a cashback promotion with them (0.5 to 1%) which can be used alongside earning Nectar points. Before then I had been using GWR since 2016 when then-Virgin Trains East Coast reduced their version of the Nectar scheme to only award points for tickets using their services rather than all tickets (with them pulling out entirely when LNER took over). With GWR now also pulling out, I'll most likely only use their site if I ever plan to get another All Line Rover at some point.

Now it's the waiting game to see if TPE pull out as well. Thankfully if that does happen there's still Nectar Connect promotions, such as the LNER one I've referred to several times recently.

miklcct

On Moderation
Shame. I’ve done quite well out if it over the years. I presume TPE will eventually follow?

If in doubt blame it on Covid.
Oh my god - it's currently my main source of earning Nectar points.

I tried the Topcashback Scotrail offer but it, and also a few different transactions on Hostelworld and Booking.com, didn't track at all which I have initiated claims.

After that which TOCs still offer points / cashbacks for train ticket purchases for use on SWR services?

Silver Cobra

Oh my god - it's currently my main source of earning Nectar points.

I tried the Topcashback Scotrail offer but it, and also a few different transactions on Hostelworld and Booking.com, didn't track at all which I have initiated claims.

After that which TOCs still offer points / cashbacks for train ticket purchases for use on SWR services?
If you're happy to use the Nectar Connect service, keep an eye out for offers for LNER through that. The two times I have used it, it has given me 10 point for every pound spent on LNER's website, and it works for all tickets rather than just those for LNER's services.

miklcct

On Moderation
If you're happy to use the Nectar Connect service, keep an eye out for offers for LNER through that. The two times I have used it, it has given me 10 point for every pound spent on LNER's website, and it works for all tickets rather than just those for LNER's services.
Thank you. I have already had my bank account connected.

island

Veteran Member
I've had it renew twice on my Halifax card. Of course as Sod's law would have it, I booked several anytime tickets and proceeded to catch COVID and have to cancel some of them, so the £10 refund fee will more than knock out the cashback on the lot :rolleyes:
To give LNER their due (as they get a lot of negative on the forum) they waived the refund fee.

AY1975

Established Member
I've been using TPE instead of GWR for booking tickets for the last 6-8 months due to my work having a cashback promotion with them (0.5 to 1%) which can be used alongside earning Nectar points. Before then I had been using GWR since 2016 when then-Virgin Trains East Coast reduced their version of the Nectar scheme to only award points for tickets using their services rather than all tickets (with them pulling out entirely when LNER took over). With GWR now also pulling out, I'll most likely only use their site if I ever plan to get another All Line Rover at some point.

Now it's the waiting game to see if TPE pull out as well. Thankfully if that does happen there's still Nectar Connect promotions, such as the LNER one I've referred to several times recently.
I'm guessing that this makes TPE the last TOC to remain in the Nectar scheme.

I presume Nectar card holders who book tickets through the TPE website or app earn Nectar points for all tickets booked in this way, not just TPE tickets.

bitzer

GWR are sending out emails with 40% off advance tickets - Works with railcards but doesn't double up savings. You have to receive an email from GWR and it says you can only access the promo by clicking through that email. FOr travel April 19th to May 26th except May 2nd on GWR routes only.

alistairlees

Established Member
GWR are sending out emails with 40% off advance tickets - Works with railcards but doesn't double up savings. You have to receive an email from GWR and it says you can only access the promo by clicking through that email. FOr travel April 19th to May 26th except May 2nd on GWR routes only.
Can you paste an example?

Alex365Dash

DelayRepay

Established Member
And the LNER offer is now on NatWest Rewards at 8%.

I posted about an offer I got with Nectar Connect a few months back for purchasing tickets with LNER for bonus Nectar points (10 points for every £1 spent, up to a maximum of 6000 points for £600). I got the offer again last month, and I can confirm that it gives the Nectar points for any tickets bought on the LNER website, not just ones for LNER services.

LNER is giving 8% on Airtime Rewards too

I have all three of these promotions available. I purchased some tickets today - does anyone know if these offers all work together?

I also have the 10% cashback offer on my Amex card, but decided to try NatWest because you can't register Amex with Airtime Rewards.

LNER must be losing money with all these promotions!

alistairlees

Established Member
I have all three of these promotions available. I purchased some tickets today - does anyone know if these offers all work together?

I also have the 10% cashback offer on my Amex card, but decided to try NatWest because you can't register Amex with Airtime Rewards.

Well, the taxpayer is losing loads of money unnecessarily because of them all. LNER is just a subdivision of the DfT really. Oh, and of course, these state subsidies to reduce the apparent price of buying tickets are only available to LNER and some other TOCs, but not to independent retailers. Now surely that can’t be right?

DelayRepay

Established Member

SO answering my own question, I spent £49.85 and have received:
£3.99 cashback via Natwest
£3.99 via Airtime Rewards
498 Nectar points (worth £2.49) via the Nectar Connect offer

So effectively a £10.37 or 21% saving. Not to be sniffed at!

jrh2254

SO answering my own question, I spent £49.85 and have received:
£3.99 cashback via Natwest
£3.99 via Airtime Rewards
498 Nectar points (worth £2.49) via the Nectar Connect offer

So effectively a £10.37 or 21% saving. Not to be sniffed at!
Brilliant. Well done.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Has anyone had any luck with Scotrail on Topcashback? I still haven't had had 4.25% cashback from a journey I had the weekend of storm Eunice

pemma

Veteran Member

I had one LNER transaction that tracked on both Barclaycard Cashback Rewards and Airtime Rewards but a more recent one didn't track on Barclaycard Cashback Rewards, just Airtime Rewards.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Had an email from TPE and Avanti this morning to say they are leaving Nectar at the end of May.

I don’t think any TOCs remain in Nectar.

pemma

Veteran Member
Had an email from TPE and Avanti this morning to say they are leaving Nectar at the end of May.

I've not had the emails from those operators but I have had one from Nectar today saying farewell to TPE in the subject line.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Sadly it was only time.

I suspect Trainsplit will get more of my business with basic day returns, at least they will get the commission.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think that it was inevitable that the nectar partnership would end as soon as the contract was due for renewal unfortunately.

317 forever

Established Member

I have accounts with both companies but while TPE have emailed me to notify me, Avanti have not.

I have already booked my tickets for June. As my July daytrip is set in stone, I may as well book it while I can still get Nectar points. 8-)

pemma

Veteran Member
I have accounts with both companies but while TPE have emailed me to notify me, Avanti have not.

It could be there's a misunderstanding over email communications at Avanti. If you don't opt in to receive marketing emails then they aren't allowed to send you marketing emails. However, if you're a customer they are allowed to send you mailings containing other important information, that could include information about disruption or a change to the Nectar scheme. It could be they sent a mailing to just those who are on their opted in list.

Last edited: