• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
Perhaps they wanted to prove to Stagecoach or people still working for South Western Railway, who worked under South West Trains, that it is possible to install WiFi on a 455 model of train.
Or given that others have pointed out it seems to be a different system to that used on other SWR trains (installed under Stagecoach) technology has moved on in the last couple of years and a supplier now has a product that has been suitable to install on the 455/456 fleet? Equally none of us can say for certain that had Stagecoach retained the franchise they would have been able to do similar.

winks

Seen some refurbed units with yellow grab rails. Can’t help but think the original vinyl stripes design is definitely the best version. The others look rushed and we now have a mish mash of designs and half finished units ! Did I hear right there will be no more refurbishments?

Bigfoot

Seen some refurbed units with yellow grab rails. Can’t help but think the original vinyl stripes design is definitely the best version. The others look rushed and we now have a mish mash of designs and half finished units ! Did I hear right there will be no more refurbishments?

Why would there be no more refurbishments? I despair sometimes with logic used here.

387star

On Moderation
Makes sense as yellow is the only striking feature on the livery

infobleep

Veteran Member
Or given that others have pointed out it seems to be a different system to that used on other SWR trains (installed under Stagecoach) technology has moved on in the last couple of years and a supplier now has a product that has been suitable to install on the 455/456 fleet? Equally none of us can say for certain that had Stagecoach retained the franchise they would have been able to do similar.
That is indeed possible.

Interestingly the type of rolling stock and what it offers does influence my travel at times. The other day I wished to charge my a battery charger for my phone. I thought I'd charged it overnight but I did something wrong I only noticed late afternoon.

As I might have needed it when I out, I got a 450 services in the hope it would be one with a plug socket, rather than a 455 service. Indeed I did find a plug socket.

After I'd been out I got a 450 back as it had loos onboaed, whereas a 455 doesn't.

If a 455 had loos and/or plug sockets, I might have stuck to the 455 in both directions. 455 on this perticular occasion was faster. Obviously I'm not remotely thinking they should get such things but it highlights how choices are made based on rolling stock.

superalbs

Established Member
On a 450 now with the relocated first class, after being displaced from a 159.

Am aware of at least four people who haven't even bothered with the first class, reasons being that it's no more comfortable, and too small! I know this because I overheard the guard telling them about the first and overheard what they said.

Really ruined that then...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Am aware of at least four people who haven't even bothered with the first class, reasons being that it's no more comfortable, and too small! I know this because I overheard the guard telling them about the first and overheard what they said.

It’s surely no less comfortable than it was before the conversion, given they're the exact same seats? Maybe they hadn’t previously been in a normal 450 2+2 section either.

Last edited:

Surreyman

Am I right in assuming that on SWR all current trains are already PRMI compliant except for the 22 class 159/0?
On a related note, I believe all SWR trains have CET toilets? (Or no toilets at all) And the only non - CET trains running in SWR land are a few GWR to Weymouth/Southampton/Portsmouth & the odd Steam Special?

Helvellyn

Established Member

A few cynics would say that is the long term plan - show a decline in First Class patronage (especially Off-Peak) and DfT can specify a Standard Class only railway in the next ITT (like SWR have done on the Reading Line and like the South Eastern ITT calls for in the next franchise).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A few cynics would say that is the long term plan - show a decline in First Class patronage (especially Off-Peak) and DfT can specify a Standard Class only railway in the next ITT (like SWR have done on the Reading Line and like the South Eastern ITT calls for in the next franchise).

I can see First Class being abolished on all but perhaps Waterloo-Bournemouth/Weymouth, Waterloo-Portsmouth & Waterloo-Exeter perhaps in the next franchise.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was on 444019 today, in the newly extended standard section of the DMCO, which provides 16 of the increased standard seat numbers.

I reckon the table seats are probably the best aligned with respect to the windows of the whole train, slightly more space than normal, and the airline seats immediately next to them are also probably at ‘priority’ spacing (although not marked as such). One odd detail, of the pairs of seats on the side next to ‘First’, one pair had a centre armrest, and the other pair didn’t. Intentional or error?

The down side? Many passengers were extremely reluctant to sit there, because the external First Class markings are still on the outside of the windows... :rolleyes:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can see First Class being abolished on all but perhaps Waterloo-Bournemouth/Weymouth, Waterloo-Portsmouth & Waterloo-Exeter perhaps in the next franchise.
May well be. As said a precedent is going to be set by the new Southeastern; which is supposed to be going “one class” anyway.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
May well be. As said a precedent is going to be set by the new Southeastern; which is supposed to be going “one class” anyway.

From what I've seem of SE, it's hardly worth it anyway.

For the time being it's just about worth it on SWR, at least on longer distance workings.

TEW

Established Member
One odd detail, of the pairs of seats on the side next to ‘First’, one pair had a centre armrest, and the other pair didn’t. Intentional or error?
That is also the arrangement in the unrefurbished 444s iirc.

Train Boy

That is also the arrangement in the unrefurbished 444s iirc.

That's correct, the one without the armrest is on the driver's side. They were at the original gap between standard and first class.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Seems reasonable to me. Ignoring the silly people who equate 1st Class with the British class system there does seem to be a public appetite for its abolision on suburban services.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's correct, the one without the armrest is on the driver's side. They were at the original gap between standard and first class.
Probably made a lot more sense when First was 2+1, the wider pair overlap the door frame, and the narrow pair (drivers side) don’t. So now there’s obviously no need for the difference, because the First Class seats also overlap the door frame on both sides...

Dan15812

The whole fleet is being refurbished both 444 and 450. Every single one. All of them. Each and every unit. The order they're done in? Who knows.
I'm not that stupid! I meant what was the next 444 to be done.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Seems reasonable to me. Ignoring the silly people who equate 1st Class with the British class system there does seem to be a public appetite for its abolision on suburban services.

I think it makes sense for SWR to do so in the future. It's hardly worth them keeping it in suburban services and that really applies to all TOCs.

theironroad

Established Member

Don't tell the Alton Line Users hear that, they'll be tuts, grumbles , MPs involved and possibly a pitchfork block of the line in protest. They are a mainline and not a branch according to their previous battles.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Don't tell the Alton Line Users hear that, they'll be tuts, grumbles , MPs involved and possibly a pitchfork block of the line in protest. They are a mainline and not a branch according to their previous battles.

It's hardly worth it. Long-distance by all means but on suburban operations it's no longer necessary and really made inconsequential by the need for capacity really.