• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swt Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badu

Hi guys

Looking for a bit of info from any Swt employees, Drivers in particular.

Do any of you know if there are any Trainee Driver courses planned for this year?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
There are 13 courses of 12 trainees this year.

If you havent already got the application in then you will just have to keep an eye on the website.

badu

There are 13 courses of 12 trainees this year.

If you havent already got the application in then you will just have to keep an eye on the website.

Cheers fella.
Wow, that is a lot of Drivers! How come they need so many?
I applied last year. Just waiting to hear from them regarding a date for a Structured and Managers interview. So fingers crossed.

455driver

Veteran Member
Lots of retirements and the 4 day week starting in December are the main reasons.

russmcp

I applied last August, was told I had passed the application and was told I'd be invited for a test etc, it all went quiet.

I called personnel the other day and was told I may hear some more about potential dates from March onwards....

455driver

Veteran Member
I have seen the figures, lots of over-time and rest day work come December for the drivers I think.

Pumbaa

Established Member
One of your colleagues gave me an estimate of 1/4 of the work will be uncovered at Fratton come December unless the rate of recruitment picks up.

Still, can't be worse than LM. Although please don't try and better them.

Class2ldn

Well I enquired about a qualified position but they are adamant that until ive done two years which is in march they wont touch me. Oh well , got an interview with fcc now so looks like they've missed out. Funny how they need these drivers yet they wont even give someone who's qualified an interview!!!

Scuba

Hi All
I applied early last year, passed all the tests and interviews, :D just waiting for the medical (I know it happens just before you get the offer.) Gave them a chase up and was told they might be able to squeeze me in in October, this was on the 2nd November. :shock:
I just hope they don't just phone up on a Monday and say can you pop up to have a medical tomorrow! :shock:

Scuba

Aubrey4444

Hi All
I applied early last year, passed all the tests and interviews, :D just waiting for the medical (I know it happens just before you get the offer.) Gave them a chase up and was told they might be able to squeeze me in in October, this was on the 2nd November. :shock:
I just hope they don't just phone up on a Monday and say can you pop up to have a medical tomorrow! :shock:

Scuba
hi im in the same boat as you passed all my assessments in 2011 - 2012 and interviews in early december so just waiting on the medical and a start date, this process has taken ages!!

Last edited:

badu

hi im in the same boat as you passed all my assessments in 2011 - 2012 and interviews in early december so just waiting on the medical and a start date, this process has taken ages!!

Hi

If you don't mind me asking. Which depot did you apply for?

canman31

Hi all
I applied beginning of last year had assessment day in July and passed.
still waiting for interviews.

hopefuly this year maybe ?

455driver

Veteran Member
Hi mine was originally for strawberry hill but they have changed me to Guildford as I live in camberley and its nearer, and which one for you?

Guildford is much better work wise, Strawberry Hill is purely suburban work.

455driver

Veteran Member
Most of the earlies they pass back from Waterloo and most of the lates they pass to Waterloo so its 45 minutes a day for riding around on trains but they have got sh+tloads of Kingston Rounders!:s

badu

I applied for Wimbledon but wouldn't mind any London depot to be honest. Not sure whether to call recruitment and specify that i am flexible or just stick to Wimbledon. Either way i need to be invited back for this dreaded Structured interview and Manager's interview!!

Does anyone know if the Structured interview is conducted by Opc?

Monty

Established Member
Most of the earlies they pass back from Waterloo and most of the lates they pass to Waterloo so its 45 minutes a day for riding around on trains but they have got sh+tloads of Kingston Rounders!:s

Give me a Kingston Rounder any day of the week over a Hounslow rounder! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I applied for Wimbledon but wouldn't mind any London depot to be honest. Not sure whether to call recruitment and specify that i am flexible or just stick to Wimbledon. Either way i need to be invited back for this dreaded Structured interview and Manager's interview!!

Does anyone know if the Structured interview is conducted by Opc?

I'm positive all parts of the assessment and interview process is done in house at SWT. :)

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Give me a Kingston Rounder any day of the week over a Hounslow rounder! ;)

Quite agree, the only time I dont mind a Hounslow is when its a 455 (still prefer going round the world though), I hate Desiros on suburban routes because the doors are too slow!

Monty

Established Member
Quite agree, the only time I dont mind a Hounslow is when its a 455 (still prefer going round the world though), I hate Desiros on suburban routes because the doors are too slow!

Unfortunately other than the weekend the only turn that see's a 455 around the Hounslow loop is a VZ driver/SN Guard's job in the morning. But you are dead right though, the 450s are not well suited to the loop at all, for the reasons you have mentioned. That and you can fit an 8 car (just!) 455 at Isleworth. ;)

Jph140

Passed all my assessments today in Southampton, have to go back for the structured interview but really pleased the assessments are completed and valid for another 3 years. Have passed them before 4 years ago but didn't get any further. Fingers crossed will go further this time.

Really revised for this and actually enjoyed the tests. Bit different from an IT exam which I normally take.

Cheers

badu

Congrats fella. Its a nice feeling isn't it! Did they say when you'll be invited back for the Structured interview? I applied around March last year, sat the assessments in May and been waiting for a date for the interviews ever since!
Hopefully should here something soon. I applied for Wimbledon.

Dave.

Jph140

Congrats fella. Its a nice feeling isn't it! Did they say when you'll be invited back for the Structured interview? I applied around March last year, sat the assessments in May and been waiting for a date for the interviews ever since!
Hopefully should here something soon. I applied for Wimbledon.

Dave.

Cheers Dave, no date for the structured yet. I know its a waiting game for roles, and courses, training etc so happy I've passed the assesments again now just have to wait. I've been here before 4 years ago and the job went internally so until its all signed on the dotted line I shall just have to be patient and carry on in my current IT role.

Pretty sure you'll here soon as soon as a role comes up for you so good luck.

Cheers

new2this

I am in the same boat as yourself, passed the tests and interviews down in Southampton, am now waiting for a position to become available and then medical and start - so close yet still so far, I was informed that SWT are cancelling the courses for this year, but 455driver mentions there is 13 courses so a bit on the confusing side, all you can do is keep calling HR and keep chasing it up, do not let it get away now we come this far.

Monty

Established Member
I've not heard of the company cancelling any drivers courses this year, there are a lot of guards who are in the same boat as the two of you as they are waiting for a medical and be assigned to a course. I have a feeling the spaces will be filled very quickly if not already.

new2this

I've not heard of the company cancelling any drivers courses this year, there are a lot of guards who are in the same boat as the two of you as they are waiting for a medical and be assigned to a course. I have a feeling the spaces will be filled very quickly if not already.

Thanks for this,

I heard from a friend, and then I called myself and was told by HR that there is one course in March and the rest have been stopped as I was penciled in for June or Sept, called up to check on the progress and was told all been canned so will probably be 2014 now???????? will call again in Feb as I am going to keep up the calling as I really want to start this year.:D

canman31

I'm in the same boat so to speak
I've rung hr and they told me nothing finalised as yet
Just a waiting game !

Status
Not open for further replies.