• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic Robinson

Strange as it may seem, the majority of the UK public aren't London commuters, and don't regard power outlets, seat-back tables and arm rests for travellers using brand-new trains in the south-east that important in the general scheme of things. Maybe some here think that they can justify them as a priority, but with the general tightening of budgets that Brexit might cause, I would imagine that most adults in the UK would see that as just pure selfishness.

Exactly what is the point you are trying to make, and what is your viewpoint (within the industry, presumably)? Possibly you're one of the new "beneficiaries" of the 319s up North?

At any rate it seems you're saying the public should not aspire to such luxuries, despite their provision on other trains. I get the impression you're arguing for "get what you're given, be grateful and, as long as we can accommodate as many people as possible on hard seats or standing, the job's a goodun".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coppercapped

Established Member
Under the current privatised set-up, the DfT has a duty to direct and where necessary, finance infrastructure and rolling stock from public funds. The railway is currently funded 70% from travellers and 30% from the public purse, - the same purse that pays for health, roads, education, defence and many other things that we the public need. Strange as it may seem, the majority of the UK public aren't London commuters, and don't regard power outlets, seat-back tables and arm rests for travellers using brand-new trains in the south-east that important in the general scheme of things. Maybe some here think that they can justify them as a priority, but with the general tightening of budgets that Brexit might cause, I would imagine that most adults in the UK would see that as just pure selfishness.

That the Government, i.e., the taxpayer, pays for infrastructure and the interest on Network Rail's borrowings is not in doubt. The only rolling stock that I can identify that has been ordered recently which has been paid for in whole or in part by the Government is the Class 345 for Crossrail, via TfL. The very reason that the transactions to supply IEP and Class 700 took such a long time to complete was that the respective suppliers had to raise the finance for design, construction, testing and production themselves. It's only the payments by the TOCs for the train service provision that are guaranteed by the Government.

So, just maybe, some more thought should have been given to the requirements of the people who use the trains - after all, they are paying the bulk of the costs of the supply of the trains.

In this context, Brexit is a non sequitor.

Class377/5

Established Member
You could also ask the question as to why most modern buses have usb charging points and/or plug sockets, yet these cannot be found on Thameslink class 700 trains.... ;)

Just playing devils advocate!

Most is an over statement. But again that what happens when you lock the specs in 2008 unlike those buses you speak of.

Difference with buses and trains is the bus companies need to attract passengers, the train companies don't.

No the different is standards for start plus the companies (especially GTR) are not free to do as and what they please. Adding in a single extra empty train and they have to ask NR for a path. I don't recall the buses needing the Highways Agency permission to ever run an additional bus.

Also as for rolling stock, those operating them don't actually own the buses but have another 3rd party do it for them with some rare exceptions.

As a result comparing two very different set ups will leave you short in comparing.

I guess SWT have a better understanding of what their passengers want than the people who ordered the 700's - as those people aren't part of the TOC at all! Simply put, the people who have specced and ordered the 700's are more interested in getting the best value for money, and less interested in what the travelling public wants or needs.

Plug sockets, wi-fi and tables aren't big things, but they add value to the overall product and give the passenger a feeling that they get better value for money as this helps them to work or relax while they're traveling. The lack thereof clearly shows where the priorities were; moving as much people as possible for the same price.

The problem is the spec was locked in before wifi and plugs were normal or expected and something most people didn't think about. Due to the issues getting the money together meant the standards people wanted had changed but the contracts didn't due to various reasons.

Its worth noting the 387s that people keep mentioning would not be permitted by the DfT in the 2018 train bid as they are too heavy. The Bombardier offer would have been the same too.

If DfT wants to right this wrong they should act now, in order for Siemens to be able to fit these items to the part of the fleet that hasn't been built yet. A retrofitting programme can then be started once all 700's are in operation, although it would take several years to complete as just a few sets can be retrofitted without this affecting TL services.

The completed fleet is over half way complete. Highest figure I've seen mentioned was 700029 last month and Siemens are completing a 700 a week, we are already near the 60 mark plus the various external complete trains (something between 20-30 assembled units) a various locations that would need modify, its not quite as easy to change things.

As for not affecting services, out of 115 trains there is supposed to be only 5 out of service at any one time. To add another unit for a period of years, even if you strip down an entire unit back to the bodyshell, it going to take a couple of weeks to do. That multiple that across the whole fleet and your taking a long time (two weeks per unit is 4.5 years of work). Add in the fact that the whole contract is set up to do x amount of trains per day and you risk that costing Siemens money for the times units do develop faults or events happen. You'd be better off ordering a couple of extra units (1x 8 car, 1x 12 car) to cover. That said the maintenance facilities are built to do x amount of work so losing say 20% of that at Three Bridges for that period of time and you see the problems. Unless of course you haul the units else where. But then you still need to cover and each unit is still around £12.5m for an 8 car and £15m for a 12 car so there is nearly £30m before you do anything to keep the service going. (Recent prices mention in Modern railway rule of thumb were £1.2m for a carriage and £1.5m if it has a cab).

Hopefully those Fainsa seats can easily get tables bolted on to them... ;)

Nope, they get scrapped.

Not needing to attract customers is a novel approach to running a business, but I know what you are trying to say.

The problem is the railways are set up in an way that really isn't great/ But this was forced on the railway.

Modern Railways clearly states that tables and WiFi are a current proposal, and goes on to describe the issues with retrofitting tables.

Going to have to said Mr Ford view in that is wrong. The build is much further on (I mean in actual build time we are over half way anyway) than he thought.

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member
No the different is standards for start plus the companies (especially GTR) are not free to do as and what they please. Adding in a single extra empty train and they have to ask NR for a path. I don't recall the buses needing the Highways Agency permission to ever run an additional bus.

I can concur with that, to even run a set of empties from Three Bridges down yard to Three Bridges up yard/ Tilgate Sidings or vice versa requires a path agreed with NR control as all move require to go to Gatwick and back to have stop shunt move clogging the UML at Three Bridges.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I found the old 319 1st class door to be very dangerous, I broke my glasses once when it slammed back. I hope the 700 has a softer spring.

AM9

Veteran Member
Exactly what is the point you are trying to make, and what is your viewpoint (within the industry, presumably)? Possibly you're one of the new "beneficiaries" of the 319s up North?

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I have never had any connection with the railway other than an appreciator of railway technology and operations and also as a fare-paying passenger.
If you can see my location, it is near the busiest Thameslink station outside the London zones so I am not biased towards (or against) those in the North. In fact if you read some of my contributions to earlier threads about both London and Northern rolling stock matter, it is clear that I have no regional bias at all but I am not blind to differences that exist between all areas of the UK.

At any rate it seems you're saying the public should not aspire to such luxuries, despite their provision on other trains. I get the impression you're arguing for "get what you're given, be grateful and, as long as we can accommodate as many people as possible on hard seats or standing, the job's a goodun".

No, like some others, you have assumed wrongly that I have any interest in the travelling public's 'luxury' aspirations. When I travel, I take responsibility for my own requirements.
This thread is about the introduction of the class 700s into service. It has posts from members who have for the first time, had an opportunity to travel on the new trains so understandably has gathered some views on them.
The fact is that Thameslink is a special case, - maybe unique in National Rail because of the need for maximising the capacity of a barely adequate infrastructure. The MML has been subject to explosive commuter growth ever since the last 'Bedpan' DMUs stopped running into St Pancras in the early '80s. First, electrification brought the full sparks effect when the class 317s transformed the life of commuters. Demand for housing near the route put house prices along the line up 30% more than similar places off the route. Then at the end of the '80s, the Thameslink core was opened. There was even more growth in traffic, moderated only by the general lull through the 'nineties that affected all routes. The decision to (eventually) proceed with the Thameslink programme meant that every measure would need to be taken to maximise the capacity of the core as quadrupling the track was not an option.
So we have a railway in the core when complete:
The line will have a full ERTMS system including ATO to provide a consistent speed profile through the core allowing minimum headways.
The track will be maintained to the highest standard, hopefully minimising failures and service interruptions.
The trains will be of minimum practicable weight giving both better performance, lower power consumption and heat generation and importantly, lower track wear in the core.
The trains will all be of uniform performance and specification allowing flexibility in deployment (save for the 8-car vs 12-car issue which in an emergency could even be managed with SDO).
The trains have dual power systems on both ac and DC allowing them to clear the core track in the event of a failure.
The trains have sufficient power to push/pull another failed train clear of the track, even up the 1:29 gradients at the ends of the core.
The trains have interiors designed (and modelled we are informed here) to carry the maximum number of passengers in acceptable comfort both under crush loading - which is already a regular feature of the Thameslink route, and off peak. Clearly opinions of what is 'acceptable comfort' will vary, but the design has to be a compromise.
Critical to the design of route capacity is the need to minimise core station dwell times. This has been achieved and modelled, and includes features such as wide, fast operating sliding doors, wide through gangways and (the nub of many complaints here) by minimising passenger alighting delays arising from armrests, connected devices and clutter on tables preventing easy exits from seating etc.​
The trains are being worked through some teething troubles. which their detractors conveniently forget beset nearly all new train designs to a degree, so can only sensibly be judged when:
a) they complete a resonable bedding-down period and start performing as intended
b) are subjected to the full rigours of peak loadings, in winter and summer conditions, - even under service failure conditions that can affect any train service. We will then know whether all the measures were both necessary and effective.

Nic Robinson

I do hope you didn't bother to write all that for my education. My only concern is you appear to think those things many travellers consider basic are actually luxuries. The very fact that some of these issues are being discussed at the highest level does seem to indicate that someone, somewhere has screwed up.

When you say you take responsibility for your own travelling requirements, does that mean you take your own portable table and Honda generator, and proactively ensure you are short and thin enough to fit in the airline seats?

jon0844

Veteran Member
In the next 50 years, I wonder if there would be plans to tunnel an entirely new railway connecting north to south? Not sure where from or where to, but the two line core is always going to be a bottleneck, with huge delays if something bad happens.

Maybe one day, there will be a new high-speed Crossrail style line from the MML to BML (or maybe even to go and connect to HS2) and the current line will revert back to a more simple sub-surface like metro service to shortcut the alternative circle line route.

Fincra5

Established Member
Had a ride on a 700 for the first time yesterday. Just happened to be the 30mins late train down to the coast.

What a "meh" experience, PIS didn't work at all - all the screens were off, the train was delayed at every stop as the doors would only open the front 4 initially.

Theres a lot of space inside yeah... but the seats were fine bar lacking armrests. The windows are too high so you can' even rest your arm on the window ledge (like Electostars).

Oh and the adaptive climate control wasn't really all that.. it was far colder than it should be.

Personally I felt, interior space aside, it was quite a downgrade to a 387 which to me feels more refined.

AM9

Veteran Member
I do hope you didn't bother to write all that for my education. My only concern is you appear to think those things many travellers consider basic are actually luxuries. The very fact that some of these issues are being discussed at the highest level does seem to indicate that someone, somewhere has screwed up.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them apart form the wi-fi which is a national commitment. By the way, you described those things as luxuries in your post #4521 and I can't see any emoticons or even inverted commas around the word so I assume that you meant just that. However, the rest of my post is why those items are not part of the class 700s requirements.

When you say you take responsibility for your own travelling requirements, does that mean you take your own portable table and Honda generator, and proactively ensure you are short and thin enough to fit in the airline seats?

I take charged devices and if necessary, a portable charger. I am over 6ft tall and can't be described as svelte. The seats were fine, including legroom by the window.
I actually carried a cup of coffee onto the Bedford to Brighton train on the first through journey day. A table might have been a bit more convenient to leave a dirty cup on but it wasn't worth grizzling about. The rest of the journey went as I expected and I didn't have to blame anybody else for anything.

Last edited:

Nic Robinson

I actually carried a cup of coffee onto the Bedford to Brighton train on the first through journey day. A table might have been a bit more convenient to leave a dirty cup on but it wasn't worth grizzling about. The rest of the journey went as I expected and I didn't have to blame anybody else for anything.

Well said. Anyway, I'm 100% with you apropos teething problems. Absolutely inevitable with a new class. I think they're great apart from the seats and am looking forward to lots more runs.

Class377/5

Established Member
In the next 50 years, I wonder if there would be plans to tunnel an entirely new railway connecting north to south? Not sure where from or where to, but the two line core is always going to be a bottleneck, with huge delays if something bad happens.

Maybe one day, there will be a new high-speed Crossrail style line from the MML to BML (or maybe even to go and connect to HS2) and the current line will revert back to a more simple sub-surface like metro service to shortcut the alternative circle line route.

Note Crossrail is a two track bi di railway for a much longer lengthen than Thameslink. And they think they will be able to run nearer 30tph on Crossrail 2 using the two track railway design.

Had a ride on a 700 for the first time yesterday. Just happened to be the 30mins late train down to the coast.

What a "meh" experience, PIS didn't work at all - all the screens were off,

If they are off then driver has sent them up.

the train was delayed at every stop as the doors would only open the front 4 initially.

Design feature when the train stops outside the ASDO window.

Theres a lot of space inside yeah... but the seats were fine bar lacking armrests. The windows are too high so you can' even rest your arm on the window ledge (like Electostars).

Oh and the adaptive climate control wasn't really all that.. it was far colder than it should be.

Personally I felt, interior space aside, it was quite a downgrade to a 387 which to me feels more refined.

Comfort and the temperature are very subjective but I rest my arm on the window just like on a 377/387 without cause and I'm short but stocky.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I assume the climate control takes into account how busy each carriage is, and adjust accordingly? If so, it might be worth moving around the train a bit.

I sort of feel compelled to walk through every time I get on one. Good exercise I suppose!

Class377/5

Established Member
I assume the climate control takes into account how busy each carriage is, and adjust accordingly? If so, it might be worth moving around the train a bit.

I sort of feel compelled to walk through every time I get on one. Good exercise I suppose!

Yes it oes. And it's also possible to have different coaches at different temperatures as the unit balances the temperature out.

Class2ldn

It's not very much which is why it's taking a bit of time to master it.
Will be OK over time. Once the doors issues have been sorted it won't be too much of a problem as even if you miss it in theory it's easy enough to override.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
A number of posters have commented on the apparent coldness of the air conditioning. They should remember that these are Siemens built trains and as such the factory setting for the a/c is typically German ie fridge-like. My first trip on a 185 was very soon after delivery and the experience was similarly chilled. Once depot staff become thoroughly acquainted with the trains I'm sure that the a/c settings will be amended. But that may take a while as not only is the precise temperature a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but the trains are strictly DOO so no guard to report on the passenger environment.

Minstral25

Established Member
So 7:22 Brighton to Bedford fails again for the 5th time in 7 days - meaning that Redhill passengers again have their busiest train of the day cancelled and adding often over an hour to their daily commutes.
The other 700 at 6:34 from Redhill is also cancelled again - but that's a track defect not the stock sitting down
Not a good starting record for the 700's

Class377/5

Established Member
So 7:22 Brighton to Bedford fails again for the 5th time in 7 days - meaning that Redhill passengers again have their busiest train of the day cancelled and adding often over an hour to their daily commutes.
The other 700 at 6:34 from Redhill is also cancelled again - but that's a track defect not the stock sitting down
Not a good starting record for the 700's

How is no driver a unit fault?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But I fairly empty unit doesn't need to be quite so cold.

It's subjective. For me it's a lovely temperature.

Goldfish62

Established Member
A number of posters have commented on the apparent coldness of the air conditioning. They should remember that these are Siemens built trains and as such the factory setting for the a/c is typically German ie fridge-like. My first trip on a 185 was very soon after delivery and the experience was similarly chilled. Once depot staff become thoroughly acquainted with the trains I'm sure that the a/c settings will be amended. But that may take a while as not only is the precise temperature a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but the trains are strictly DOO so no guard to report on the passenger environment.

I remember SWT'S 450s had chilly aircon when first introduced, then SWT altered it and I now find it far too warm. I believe it's 23 degrees, which is too warm for a living room let alone a busy train. Strangely, though, the 458s have always remained consistently chilly, unfortunately also in Winter.

vrbarreto

Hoped to catch the 16:13 from Luton Airport Parkway to Brighton class 700 yesterday that was run on Monday.. Instead of this 12 car marvel of technology it was a 4 car clapped out 319 which got very crowded at it's first stop in London.. Oh well... Will try and catch a 700 in a couple of weeks after I've sampled again the Slovak train network :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
No HVAC system can ever satisfy everyone, just like in an office where someone will say they're freezing while someone else says they're boiling hot.

It's obviously different if it fails.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.