• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucko

I think its a good idea actually.

Having new depots at St Albans & Luton is to accommodate planned new routes altho new further details as yet.

My driver mate thinks the need for new drivers will remain the same / be greater, and that we shouldn't really be too worried or affected by all this ( we hope ) !!

I always wondered why Luton wasn't seen as depot material in the past, as it has its own Luton-Sutton route, and is also on the Bedford-Brighton route too.

Dave999

Like I said before I'm sure this has all been in planning for quite a while. I'm sure they will still need trainee drivers and I'm sure we won't know anything until a we get a call to confirm at start date. Business as usual for the talent pool.

Robcuk

It was foreseen in the tea leaves.

Hmmm maybe.

Driver friend mentioned they are trying to cut down on the amount of drivers having to 'pas' to Luton/St. Albans to start there diagrams - makes sense less 'pas' and more driving although it's a nice way to start a shift.

I guess it's very early in the process and not all the information is available.

Class2ldn

Was an official announcement yesterday by management at blackfriars.
It is happening, it's not just speculation.
Apparently been approved by the dft

Last edited:

vit4

Hmm. Unexpected news.

As somebody who is down for KGX or Blackfriars, how screwed am I? :| If KGX is undergoing a partial closure and Blackfriars a full closure, does this mean that I'm effectively out? As I don't live within the required travelling time for any other depots?

Last edited:

Bobbybox

I live close to one of the other depots but are they going to use trainees for these or just use qualified drivers ?

bILLOO

Bedford has a large Talent Pool waiting list. Will these people all be reallocated to Luton, St Albans, etc?

Class2ldn

I live close to one of the other depots but are they going to use trainees for these or just use qualified drivers ?

All depends how many drivers get displaced from other depots. Obviously they will take priority over any trainees.
This is obviously something that's been planned a long time and they are still taking on people.

Just be aware they may still allocate people to Bedford but you'll probably be told that you'd have to move in 2018.
They may ask you to choose another depot for when it happens I don't know.

Problem is training is about a year so it won't be far off 2018 so the above may not happen atall.

I'd prepare for the worst to be honest in that you are likely to have to go somewhere else ie Luton or st albans.
Just depends how many drivers move from Bedford.
I doubt the depots at Luton and St Albans will be massive.

Nothings been confirmed on numbers yet so until then not much more we can tell you.

If I was looking at moving some of my workforce to other depots would I still recruit for that depot affected. Unlikely.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
If I was looking at moving some of my workforce to other depots would I still recruit for that depot affected. Unlikely.

To add to that I would say that they will also consider that it takes easily a year to train a new Driver and that with the new route announcements then the routes you will need to learn may be different.

As Bedford is due to reduce in establishment then I'd agree that recruitment is unlikely, at least till the numbers of Drivers transferring out is known.

Class2ldn

Well it's been confirmed the above changes. Orpington drivers will be offered positions with gtr under our terms and conditions. I'm assuming it will just run alongside but not sure.
New depots at welwyn, hornsey and Finsbury park with reduced working at kings cross and hitchin.

Gordo

Well it's been confirmed the above changes. Orpington drivers will be offered positions with gtr under our terms and conditions. I'm assuming it will just run alongside but not sure.
New depots at welwyn, hornsey and Finsbury park with reduced working at kings cross and hitchin.

So not Luton then?
It's hard to remain positive after holding out for so long.

Class2ldn

The others are as posted. Luton st albans gillingham Ashford. Horsham, Blackfriars closing reduced working also at Bedford and brighton.
They seem to think there is more work but that doesn't mean more drivers. If they shuffle some people about then it may mean no more trainee vacancies.
Until that happens though we just don't know.
Luton amd st albans will probably onky be satellite depots and won't need any drivers after others have been moved.
Bare in mind theres drivers who have been at bedford ten years who are still only in link 4 and have the possibility of being shifted elsewhere.
They will take priority

Last edited:

bILLOO

Is there a reason for moving drivers based on experience rather than the proximity of the (new) depot to their home?

rhysa85

I received my contract as a trainee Train driver for Hitchin just last week - should I be worried?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is there a reason for moving drivers based on experience rather than the proximity of the (new) depot to their home?

Experience is more important. You need the depot up and running from the get go so you need Drivers with route knowledge and Drivers to act as Instructors and or Managers.

It will also be a case of contractual obligations and that Drivers have seniority will potentially get first choice.

vit4

Well I couldn't say. Where do you live?

I'm based in Romford, so was pretty much on the edge of the 'travelling time' radius for those two depots as it was :( I am pretty much certain that there are no other GTR depots that I am within an hour or so of. I think I'd better give them a call/email to try to get a realistic answer :(

Class2ldn

I received my contract as a trainee Train driver for Hitchin just last week - should I be worried?

Not so much in the sense of a job but location maybe.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm based in Romford, so was pretty much on the edge of the 'travelling time' radius for those two depots as it was :( I am pretty much certain that there are no other GTR depots that I am within an hour or so of. I think I'd better give them a call/email to try to get a realistic answer :(

The problem is that until you have a contract they have no obligation to take you on.
That being said if you applied for a certain depot and then suddenly it's not possible they may overlook your travel time.
No guarantee of that in anyway but you obviously met the criteria to go into a pool and the circumstances haven't been caused by yourself.
Theres a new depot at Finsbury park which is only 10 minutes extra time from kx.
That may be an option.
Just depends on the numbers.
No point calling hr as they won't know who's going where anymore then we do for now.
I wouldn't worry too much.

paddydick

The changes that GTR want to make are now going through a public consultation on the new timetables and this will be over the next 3 months so more will be know and hopefully numbers at depots can be clarified round about September.
They will most probably want Sundays in the working week but we will still be doing a 4 day week.
Yes blackfriars is closing and the drivers are being relocated but that was on the cards anyway when London bridge opened fully in 2018 and they are opening a depot in Cricklewood.
There will new routes into Kent added so more work so they will still need you guys in the talent pool but the jobs will be depot specific so I'm presuming after 2018 you will just learn routes from your depot not the whole TL or GN network as we do now.
But also remember the franchise is up for renewal in 2021 and you could be working for a completely different TOC

Class2ldn

The sundays in the working week is a touchy subject.
I know where I stand with it but unfortunately it's not the same as gtr stand.
If we do it will have to be a good old pay rise.

donpoku

Thanks for the info, When will these open?

Bucko

So lets get this straight

TL are opening 2 new depots in Luton & St.Albans, and moving some drivers around from Bedford.

There's also going to be new routes planned, with all this added on to the fact that GTR were already under subscribed for fully qualified drivers.

My driver mate ( 15yrs at Bedford ) thinks the need for trainees will now be greater or at worst stay the same.

Cant see the problem myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.