• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Todmorden Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Indeed the local business community has hopes of a direct link to the airport and over on SSC, a keen eyed reader has spotted this
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/80219/new-train-service
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=342401&page=267

So, are we now to assume that May 2014 will see a service that will serve all the settlements of Burnley, Accrington and Blackburn via the Copy Pit line from what STORM have published in their link?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
According to the ELCRP (East Lancashire Community Rail Partnership), the new service will commence in May 2014 and will start from Blackburn, calling at Accrington, Rose Grove and Burnley Manchester Road; though it does not specify calling points beyond the Curve. In addition, Church & Oswaldtwistle will be served on Sundays only.

More info here - http://www.communityraillancashire.co.uk/news

Geeves

Established Member
It does mention Todd and Rochdale which makes sense, it can run behind the other semi express or even couple on to it at Todd, might be a little too extreme though that one.

Ill say one thing, the amount of people that ask for Burnley and Accrington at Victoria is a serious number. Its going to be a very popular train from day 1!

Last edited:

mirodo

Makes sense to call at Rose Grove. It would be a good idea if the Blackpool-York service did also (as it used to until some time in the 90s), to allow interchange between that service and the local line to Colne.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It does mention Todd and Rochdale which makes sense, it can run behind the other semi express or even couple on to it at Todd, might be a little too extreme though that one.

Whilst I cannot see much in the way of demand for the stations at Walsden, Smithy Bridge, Castleton, Mills Hill and Moston, I wonder if certain services could stop at Littleborough.

Last edited:

high camera

Taken recently, high res versions available, contact me.

Todmorden%20triangle%20looking%20South%20west-M.jpg

Todmorden%20triangle%20looking%20west-M.jpg

Todmorden%20triangle%20looking%20South%20east-M.jpg

Todmorden%20triangle%20looking%20south-M.jpg

Sox

Cheers, the area isn't that easy to see (legally) from ground level.

WatcherZero

Established Member
He uses a camera drone I think.

Edit: Must be a different photographer

Last edited:

high camera

Photos taken by a professional photographer from an aircraft during a photography sortie with a fully qualified commercial pilot. I havent set out to market these photos they have been posted as general interest to all.

There is absolutely nothing to stop private pilots and passengers taking such photos so long as rules of the air are complied with ( minimum heights etc)and the flight was not intended for commercial work.

I am open to suggestions for photography at other places of interest that cant be easily accessed you never know I might be passing that way on my next flight.

dysonsphere

Photos taken by a professional photographer from an aircraft during a photography sortie with a fully qualified commercial pilot. I havent set out to market these photos they have been posted as general interest to all.

There is absolutely nothing to stop private pilots and passengers taking such photos so long as rules of the air are complied with ( minimum heights etc)and the flight was not intended for commercial work.

I am open to suggestions for photography at other places of interest that cant be easily accessed you never know I might be passing that way on my next flight.

I knew the answer just wondered if you did, you are quite correct although the CAA has been picky sometimes. Im a PPL by the way. Mind you nice sharp pics what aircraft were you in as those weren't shot thru the perspex .

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Here's one from ground level. 48773 on a MRTS railtour 28 July 1968

Where exactly is the location of the train in that photo? The area has changed so much since - and the view leaning out of the train window is no longer afforded! - I can't make out which junction that is or even which direction the train is heading!

Where exactly is the location of the train in that photo? The area has changed so much since - and the view leaning out of the train window is no longer afforded! - I can't make out which junction that is or even which direction the train is heading!

48773 has come over Copy Pit from Burnley and is seen turning right at
Stansfield Hall, round the soon to be reinstated curve towards Todmorden
station and the Calder Valley line to Rochdale.

L&Y Robert

Yes, 46223 has it exactly - I used to pass over this curve every Saturday morning with my parents, Burnley Manchester Rd. to Tod. and then back in the afternoon (on "The Blackpool"). I have hung out of the window just like the man in the pic., heard the sound of the flanges bearing up against the rail, noted those semaphores (there's one behind the telegraph pole) - BUT! I don't remember a trailing crossover, and it's on the curve, too. What could it be for in this position? As well, I am surprised there is no check rail on either road - I thought there was. The points to the right led to a short siding to the coal drops, behind (I think) the signal box, on the very threshold of the viaduct. (Anybody know what that signal box was called?)

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Interesting to see the overall roof of the eastbound platforms of Todmorden station in the right background.

The points to the right led to a short siding to the coal drops, behind (I think) the signal box, on the very threshold of the viaduct. (Anybody know what that signal box was called?)

I think it was Todmorden East Junction, but not 100% sure.

Darren R

Established Member
48773 has come over Copy Pit from Burnley and is seen turning right at
Stansfield Hall, round the soon to be reinstated curve towards Todmorden
station and the Calder Valley line to Rochdale.

Thanks for that - had another look at the pic with this info in mind and it's finally dawned on me! The curve disappeared before I was born and this is the only photo I've ever seen of it, so just couldn't quite figure it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&Y Robert
The points to the right led to a short siding to the coal drops, behind (I think) the signal box, on the very threshold of the viaduct. (Anybody know what that signal box was called?)
I think it was Todmorden East Junction, but not 100% sure.

It was indeed Todmorden East. Renamed from Todmorden Junction in 1905.

Was not the trailing crossover in the photo to allow banking locomotives out of the sidings in the triangle to assist Copy Pit-bound freights?

Sox

I think the original LT headline, posted in May 2011, could be looking a bit optimistic:

"Todmorden Curve could be running by 2013"

L&Y Robert

Was not the trailing crossover in the photo to allow banking locomotives out of the sidings in the triangle to assist Copy Pit-bound freights?

No, I don't think so. I remember that the bankers' sidings were closer to Stansfield Hall junction, and accessed from the down? (i.e. the Burnley-bound road of the west curve) which crossed the up (i.e. the Tod-bound road) on a diamond crossing before fanning out into two, maybe three sidings. Bizzare I know, but that's what I remember (long time ago!). Bankers returning down from "A job" crossed over a facing crossover a short distance up the line (it's still there), ran wrong road onto the west curve, thence to the siding points, crossed over the 'right road' of the curve on the diamond crossing, and went back to sleep in the alloted siding. Control of all this was from Stansfield Hall sig. box, of course. As a little boy I remember on busy days bankers coming back down the hill two, sometimes three, coupled together.

Signal Head

No, I don't think so. I remember that the bankers' sidings were closer to Stansfield Hall junction, and accessed from the down? (i.e. the Burnley-bound road of the west curve) which crossed the up (i.e. the Tod-bound road) on a diamond crossing before fanning out into two, maybe three sidings. Bizzare I know, but that's what I remember (long time ago!). Bankers returning down from "A job" crossed over a facing crossover a short distance up the line (it's still there),
Are you sure? I was under the impression the current facing crossover came in with Preston PSB.

This photo shows a trailing crossover, spanning beneath the footbridge, and no sign of a facing one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/140709664/

The facing crossover there now is further away from the junction, which would fit with it having been laid in whilst the original trailing one was in use, so it could be connected up to the new system ready for commissioning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacwilson/5014576085/

Which doesn't answer the question as to how the bankers got back to the siding. Is it possible that the diamond you mention was actually a single slip? This could have been arranged with either facing access to the siding, or forming a trailing crossover between the curve lines as well, which would require a double-shunt of course. Other than that, the trailing crosover in the photo above could be used, but again that's a double-shunt. There is a double dolly on the end of that one though, which suggests a bang road move onto the curve was available from there.

Darren R

Established Member
I think the original LT headline, posted in May 2011, could be looking a bit optimistic:

Yes, I remember reading that article at the time - and thinking to myself that I'd never read so much tosh in all my life! The supposed 2013 opening was based on no actual facts and had no basis whatsoever - it was based entirely on uninformed speculation by councils/councillors. Well just because Burnley Council says it, that doesn't make it so!

Paul Sidorczuk
Originally Posted by Sox

But the proposed works on the Holme tunnel were not known at that time.

I think a May 2014 reopening was always the plan though, even without the Holme Tunnel works. By the time the Lancashire Telegraph article in question had appeared, I'd read in a Network Rail planning document that the reopening was provisionally scheduled for May 2014.

Don't ask me to provide a source for that though - I can't remember exactly what document I was reading and the chances of me being able to find it again on NR's labyrinthine website are less than zero!

Signal Head

Yes, I remember reading that article at the time - and thinking to myself that I'd never read so much tosh in all my life! The supposed 2013 opening was based on no actual facts and had no basis whatsoever - it was based entirely on uninformed speculation by councils/councillors.

And probably written by the same types as some posters earlier in this thread, judging by the "why does it cost £8M" and "could all be relaid in one weekend possession" remarks I've seen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.