• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
They'll be testing on different routes to the rest of the units and it's probably a lot easier to keep a separate unit so TPE's testing isn't contingent on any variations to the testing regime for the other operators. Since they're so similar, no harm in building one early to get all the testing done with. Seems fairly sensible to me.
Indeed, the last thing GWR need is TPE pinching one of their units for driver training.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BMIFlyer

Also the TPE units have different engines (940hp vs 750hp) due to the hills they will climb.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Also the TPE units have different engines (940hp vs 750hp) due to the hills they will climb.
I believe that's false - it's the same engine. 800s and 802s are all fitted with the same 940hp engines. Those in the 800s will reduce output to around 750hp at a certain speed, but even they are 940hp engines. All 802s whether GWR, TPE or Hull Trains, to my knowledge, are 940hp throughout.

TBSchenker

Indeed. The difference (as well as the higher output of the engine) being the 802s have larger fuel tanks because they will be running on diesel longer?

On Moderation
I believe that's false - it's the same engine. 800s and 802s are all fitted with the same 940hp engines. Those in the 800s will reduce output to around 750hp at a certain speed, but even they are 940hp engines. All 802s whether GWR, TPE or Hull Trains, to my knowledge, are 940hp throughout.
All the engines are the same, it's the way the engine management software is configured that changes the performance characteristics.

greyman42

Established Member
How do these unit's engines compare with 185s?

Jonny

Established Member
How do these unit's engines compare with 185s?

Higher power per engine, but fewer engines per train given the number of carriages (3 engines on a 3-car 185 giving 1 engine per car vs 3 engines on a 5-car 802 giving 3/5th of an engine (on average) per car).

samuelmorris

Established Member
engine power per metre length wise, 5-car 800/802s are about 66% of the power of 185s (22hp/m vs. 33), 9-car versions about 62%. There will also be differences to consider with comparative efficiency between the hydraulic transmission on 185s and the electric transmission on 800/802s, as well as the fact that above 30-40mph, the power output of 800s is further reduced by 20%.

anamyd

On Moderation
what about the type of engine as well...? the 185s have 19 litre straight sixes and the 802s will have 21 litre V12s

ash39

Established Member
Without a doubt, this will be the best livery on an 80X series train seen so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Ih8earlies

I may have missed it if it has already been posted somewhere - but is there a layout map of the TPE 802's? (Assuming it might be different to the LNER 5 cars)

TBSchenker

Not finished adding the vynil yet and the interior is the test one so nothing to show.

It saddens me that liveries are being made from viynls . I understand why, speed and probably cost of getting a train done in New colours, but after a few months in traffic the seams start getting dirty, and quite a few of the 185s are getting damage by the doors .

I understand why the 185s were viynled but the 802s could have come painted . Are the Mk5s and 397s viynled or painted?

BMIFlyer

It saddens me that liveries are being made from viynls . I understand why, speed and probably cost of getting a train done in New colours, but after a few months in traffic the seams start getting dirty, and quite a few of the 185s are getting damage by the doors .

I understand why the 185s were viynled but the 802s could have come painted . Are the Mk5s and 397s viynled or painted?

A mix.

modernrail

I wonder what the environmental consequences of vinyl v paint are. The railway is meant to be considering that sort of thing. I have no view or idea on what the respective impacts might be on a whole life basis, but would be interested to know.

59CosG95

Established Member
I wonder what the environmental consequences of vinyl v paint are. The railway is meant to be considering that sort of thing. I have no view or idea on what the respective impacts might be on a whole life basis, but would be interested to know.
Depends on the paint composition, as well as the type of stickers used in the "vinyls".
The "vinyls" might not necessarily be polyvinylchloride (i.e. PVC), they might be another similar polymer (thermoplastic polyurethane, for instance), which is often eco-friendlier.
I don't think Joe Public would examine the polymeric composition of every sticker on every train with vast scrutiny, however.

A train-borne environmental consequence of vinyl vs paint is the corrosion issue; FGW reverted to paint after the Dynamic Lines vinyls on some of their 166s started peeling - this left a small bubble between the vinyl & thr bodywork, allowing moisture to form and corrosion to occur.
Topically enough, some of the vinyled 800s (the /0s) are looking much the worse for wear than the 800/3s, 802/0s and 802/1s, which were all painted.

Jonny

Established Member
Any word on when construction is due to begin on the 'main series' Class 802/2 units?

Fez14

will these be tested on the Pennine corridor anytime soon, or sticking to east coast mainline for now?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Presumably not going to use the wires at any point?
Must be the first appearance of any Hitachi stuff on LNW Route?
I can't remember 395/385/80x showing up before.
It will be interesting to see if there are any OHLE compatibility issues once the pan goes up.

TBSchenker

East Coast say their IETs have been tested on all their routes and diversionaries,so they will have run to Carlisle at some point.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Modern Railways are reporting a fix for the ongoing issues with using electric on the North ECML too. From how it is reported it suggests a train fix so hopefully that fix will mean no issues running on wires around Manchester and that will be tested soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.