• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Is there anyone currently working with EMT at the moment able to clarify what employee benefits you get in terms of annual leave, sick pay, any salary sacrifice schemes etc. I’m often told that my NHS sick pay (6 months full and 6 months half pay) and annual leave (33 days plus bank holidays) are very generous- wondered what EMT is like in comparison. Thank you.

Lol, i highly recommend changing ur username if u intend to research sick pay!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LaursP

I couldn't agree more lol

Thanks, guess you can’t help?

I have no intention of going off sick- I have an exemplary record for the past 14 years but it’s certainly something good to know when moving to a new company. Trying to do full and proper research on EMT, but have been unable to find information elsewhere so thought that because this forum has been helpful before I could try here.
Being in the NHS has taught me that you never know when something serious might occur!

Last edited:

LaursP

Lol, i highly recommend changing ur username if u intend to research sick pay!!

Thanks, guess you can’t help?

I have no intention of going off sick- I have an exemplary record for the past 14 years but it’s certainly something good to know when moving to a new company. Trying to do full and proper research on EMT, but have been unable to find information elsewhere so thought that because this forum has been helpful before I could try here.
Being in the NHS has taught me that you never know when something serious might occur!

Perhaps you could help me confirm whether the annual leave is allocated in predetermined weeks throughout the year with up to 8 days to use at your request? That’s what I’ve been able to find out so far but obviously if I could hear it from someone who is currently with EMT that would be great.

Thanks anyway.

Tomnick

Established Member
Assuming it hasn’t changed in pay deals recently, annual leave entitlement is 28 days, made up of four allocated weeks (open to swaps) and 12 odd days.

Dynamonic

https://careers.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=2018-39-R

Trainee mainline drivers required :)
Good luck to all of you who applies

Be aware that this vacancy is only open to experienced Depot Drivers who already work for East Midlands Trains. (They will do a Depot Driver - Mainline Driver conversion course)

Anyone else interested in driving for East Midlands Trains will need to wait for Trainee Depot Driver vacancies. :) (Might not need to wait long for them too, from what I hear. Keep your eyes peeled)

Top Link

Hi guys, hope you're all well? Is anyone able to give me an idea as to what happens at the medical? I have three main questions if anyone is kind enough to advise me:

1) Eyesight - I know train drivers are allowed to wear glasses but how good does your sight have to be without them in order to successfully pass the medical?
2) Will a medical report be required from one's GP for a full history?
3) Aside from eyesight and BMI, what else do they look for, and (aside from trimming down a little to ensure peak BMI) is there anything I can do to prepare?

Many thanks

heedfan

Hi guys, hope you're all well? Is anyone able to give me an idea as to what happens at the medical? I have three main questions if anyone is kind enough to advise me:

1) Eyesight - I know train drivers are allowed to wear glasses but how good does your sight have to be without them in order to successfully pass the medical?
2) Will a medical report be required from one's GP for a full history?
3) Aside from eyesight and BMI, what else do they look for, and (aside from trimming down a little to ensure peak BMI) is there anything I can do to prepare?

Many thanks

Have a look on RSSB for medical guidelines. EMT will check your eyesight both with and without correction but as long as your prescription falls within the guidelines published by RSSB you should be fine. I have a relatively strong prescription (-4/-5.5 roughly) and was fine. You will need to take a recent copy of your prescription.

I’m not sure about a medical report form your GP but I would urge you not to try and hide any conditions you may have or have had in the past as it will be found out eventually and you’ll be sacked if you have tried to hide anything. They may want to seek a report if you do have ongoing conditions and I’m sure they are entitled to request it.

Blood pressure, ECG and hearing is also checked along with the alcohol and drug test.

Dynamonic

Regarding point 2, you're sent a medical questionnaire to fill out before your medical, which you bring with you on the day. Obviously, be totally honest when filling this out. If any issues are flagged up from this on the day, then I believe they'll be looking at requesting a report from your GP.

You will also normally be asked for a vision prescription certificate which is dated within the last two years (even if you don't wear glasses) and a passport-sized photograph of yourself, which you need to stick to your medical questionnaire.

This will all be mentioned to you in your Medical email though. :)

LaursP

FYI.
Phone calls for the November 19th course are being made today, just had a call off Marie Good luck guys.

LaursP

Well done you two Fingers crossed for the rest of us
I haven’t taken up the offer because it starts in less than 8 weeks and my HR will not let me have any shorter notice period / can’t work out a way of making it work. So got told I’ll be called in early Jan so I have time to get medical done before I need to hand in my notice fortune March course. They’ll be putting our job advert again in October because this course will empty almost all of the talent pool and they need to fill it up.
Well done stjimmy Did Marie explain abound the apprenticeship, you guys will be the first to trial it.

stjimmy87

I haven’t taken up the offer because it starts in less than 8 weeks and my HR will not let me have any shorter notice period / can’t work out a way of making it work. So got told I’ll be called in early Jan so I have time to get medical done before I need to hand in my notice fortune March course. They’ll be putting our job advert again in October because this course will empty almost all of the talent pool and they need to fill it up.
Well done stjimmy Did Marie explain abound the apprenticeship, you guys will be the first to trial it.

Sorry to hear you can start sooner hopefully Jan will come flying around. Marie said that there was only one Nottingham place and it had been snapped up lol.

Didn't hear about an apprenticeship? Explain

Dynamonic

Congratulations to all of you getting the calls today! :D Does not seem like 5 minutes ago when that was me.

I’d like to wish you all the best for your medicals, and make the most of your free time up to the course while you have it!!! :lol:

stjimmy87

Congratulations to all of you getting the calls today! :D Does not seem like 5 minutes ago when that was me.

I’d like to wish you all the best for your medicals, and make the most of your free time up to the course while you have it!!! :lol:

Thank you very much, just one more hurdle and it's all done.

Hope you are still having fun on your course.

Dynamonic

Thank you very much, just one more hurdle and it's all done.

Hope you are still having fun on your course.

It’s a fantastic course, and very intense, particularly in the final weeks of your Rules learning, and the traction course(s).

I’ve just completed my rules and traction exams and am just about to start driving with my mentor now, which I really can’t wait for!

I understand that this apprenticeship is basically a new standardised training package being rolled out by the RSSB, which all TOCs and FOCs will ultimately adhere to.
I believe your course will be the first to experience it for EMT, but I’m not sure exactly what will be different in your training compared to everyone elses.
Exciting!!! :D

Ellb123

You are Leeds aren’t you? I’d be very surprised if there isn’t at least one Leeds driver on this course, based on depot needs.
I did apply for Leeds but I had Derby as my first choice. I did speak with Marie today but will hear for sure tomorrow which depot I will be based. Can’t wait!!!:D

Sorry to hear you can start sooner hopefully Jan will come flying around. Marie said that there was only one Nottingham place and it had been snapped up lol.

Didn't hear about an apprenticeship? Explain

Nottingham shed link is rammed, far more vacancies at Derby.

Could you not just walk out of the current job?

Status
Not open for further replies.